hubcap guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Carroll Hale

hubcap guitar

Post by Carroll Hale »

had an interesting and funny experience over the weekend.....an old fella came up to me after I had finished playing and asked me ...where did I get that "Hubcap" guitar....referring to my resonator with the "shiny hubcap" in the center...

has anyone heard that expression.....I am 62..been playing guitar 50 yrs...but "hubcap" for only 2-3 yrs....just curious... :D :?
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Yes, I've heard that expression many times, although I used to refer to my National Duolian as my "trash can guitar".
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

:D :D :D :D

never to old to learn .....
something new every day.... :(
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Carroll, you know how after you buy a new car suddenly as you are driving around town you notice many versions of the same car as yours?

I think that's how it is with an expression like "hub cap guitar" for a dobro.

You started on dobro fairly recently, and you may have even heard it in passing a number of years ago, but didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I started playing dobro in the mid 1970's so I have heard that one plenty, and used it myself.
Mark
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

Mark Eaton wrote:Carroll, you know how after you buy a new car suddenly as you are driving around town you notice many versions of the same car as yours?

I think that's how it is with an expression like "hub cap guitar" for a dobro.

You started on dobro fairly recently, and you may have even heard it in passing a number of years ago, but didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I started playing dobro in the mid 1970's so I have heard that one plenty, and used it myself.
hey dude....appreciate your comments.....and after looking at your profile.....you are one lucky s.o.b....to live in or around Sonoma, CA....been there a few times ...some business...some pleasure...as an old farm boy....I just love driving around the vineyards and near the roadside vegetable stands......those vineyards are so clean and neat...my old dadddy would have loved it there...he could never plow a straight row...(with our mules).. but he would just die to see the neatness of those farms in the area........hope to return there someday when I retire.......a beautiful place..
thanks
ch
from deep in the piney woods of east texas....
another of God's beautiful places on earth
John Drury

Re: hubcap guitar

Post by John Drury »

Carroll Hale wrote:had an interesting and funny experience over the weekend.....an old fella came up to me after I had finished playing and asked me ...where did I get that "Hubcap" guitar....referring to my resonator with the "shiny hubcap" in the center...

has anyone heard that expression.....I am 62..been playing guitar 50 yrs...but "hubcap" for only 2-3 yrs....just curious... :D :?
Heard it? I am the guy who coined it!

Seriously, around many of the folks I know, when the subject of guitars comes up and I mention the word Dobro, I always get, Dobro, whats that?

For sake of brevity I always say, you know, the guitar with the hub cap on it. It has never failed and I don't have to go into the long drawn out John and Rudy, blah, blah, blah.
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Yeah, Carroll, we're pretty blessed to live here in Sonoma County...wine and steel guitar is a great combination!

With the hub cap analogy I'm able to keep my spiel under two minutes regarding "what is that thing?"

I only wish I had a dollar for every time someone asked (and this even after they have seen me play with a steel bar), "how do you play that thing, the action is really high?"
Mark
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

I've called mine a "Hawaiian Hubcap Guitar" for years, and that explanation is enough for most folks. I'll tell them more, but only if they ask good follow-up questions.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i've always been proud to own one o them geetars with the hubcap an' two ashtrays!

matter of fact, it's been sitting in the case in the frontroom for days and my friend heard it pop a string just settin' there!
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

chris ivey wrote:two ashtrays!
cup holders :)
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

I'm 71 and I don't know who coined the "hubcap" term for it, and I don't know if I just used it many moons ago, or I heard the expression and used it.

Like others, when I tell some folks that I play Dobro and they don't know what it is, it seems to be a natural description for the guitar (one with a shiny hubcap on it) and often people then know what it is.

Geo
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Ben Elder

"Packard Clipper" by Larry Pogreba

Post by Ben Elder »

"Gopher, Everett?"
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

When I had my Dobro 60D, back in the late 70s, I used to refer to it as a guitar with a hubcap on it for the benefit of people who had never heard of a Dobro.

Now I own a new resophonic, made by a local luthier, Lawrence K. Smith, and it is as good as I remember that Dobro 60D ever was. Lawrence has given me permission to post these two photos of it, and for those interested you can get further details from Lawrence's website:-

www.smithguitars.com

if anyone wants to see examples of one of our local Australian luthiers beautiful work.

I guess I'll still refer to it as a guitar with a hubcap on it...and technically, I can't even call it a Dobro now.
Last edited by Ned McIntosh on 22 Feb 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
John Drury

Re: "Packard Clipper" by Larry Pogreba

Post by John Drury »

Ben Elder wrote:Image
Hurtin!
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I prefer to call mine . . .
"A Guitar With A Hot Plate".Image
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

Joey...

If that is the one that you lent to me two or three years ago in Dallas...well I would call it a Smoking Hot Plate !!!
Once again..thank you for lending me your Dobro to play in the International Jam..I.O.U.
Tony
Joey Ace

Hot Plate in Dallas 2006

Post by Joey Ace »

Hi Tony,
No the guitar I loaned you was a GT Beard, that now belongs to Doug (builders of "Stage One Licensed by Zumsteel'). Remember we gave the guitar to Bruce Z to deliver to Doug?

You were the last one to play it, before it went to Branson. It still had traces of the bacon you were trying to fry :) .

Here's a photo I dug out, of us in the Peavey Room that day. I won't be there this year, neither will the Peavey Room.

The Hot Plate guitar in my first photo is my Clinesmith, made by Todd who also makes those beautiful Bigsby style Steels.
Thanks Todd, Doug, Bruce, Tony & Mrs. Tony !

Joey
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

No matter how hard I try I just can't see any connection "between a guitar and a kitchen sink" and a Dobro. I'm sorry but "the little grey cells" just can't seem to get around that particular image.

A guitar and a hubcap - yes. A guitar and a ventilation louvre - yes. But a guitar and a kitchen sink? No way - unless they have some really wierd kitchen sinks in Sweden, that is!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.