Now, RIP Tom Brumley

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

While on vacation at the Canary Islands I got the message of my friend Tom Brumley passing.
My heart is heavy and my thoughts are with Rolene and family.

Tove and Dag.
Roger Trahan

God Bless Tom Brumley

Post by Roger Trahan »

Few people have the ability to touch others in the special way that Tom did. Wether throught being the gentleman he was or the music he played so many have felt the love, dedication and soul this great man had. He turned my head the minute I heard his unique steel playing and kept it turned because no one else ever was able to nail down the beautiful licks the was Tom did. He's a positive influence on my playing and phrasing in music today. May the Good Lord be with all of the Brumley family during this sad time. God Bless Roger A. Trahan
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I'm just now catching up with things on the forum and am saddened to learn this. When I first opened the thread I was moved to queue up Tom's dad's gospel with Merle Haggard called "Two Old Friends".

I'm glad I got to meet and hear him several times at Scotty's. You just never know how long you have here on earth. Suffice it to say, we'll all be able to hear Tom's beautiful steel guitar until the day we die.

May God bless Tom and his family.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Paul King

Re: Tom

Post by Paul King »

My apologies for the double posting.
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Rest In Peace....another great player is gone....
BMI S-10,3+4,Peavey Vegas 400,15"BW equipped,Goodrich 120,Zoom Studio rack mount-FX,Liberty Resonator,Fender Telecaster,JT-148 Jazz Box,Blueridge BR-180
Stan Knowles NC

Post by Stan Knowles NC »

Thank God Tom knew Jesus, the Lord of Life....
as his own personal Savior! And right now...
Tom is with Jesus!

Rolene, I am praying for you, your sons and your
family!

Stan...
Emmons Legrand II D10 - Gretsch White Falcon stereo - Peavy NSVL. 1000 - Peavy Stereo Chorus 400
Kenny Martin

Post by Kenny Martin »

Sad news for all but what an awesome band he will join! Lost Daddy 8 months ago and i know he will have a big hug waiting for Tom!

Our time is not his time that knows every hair on our heads!!
Frank Harris

tom b

Post by Frank Harris »

A very sad day for me I pray for him often.
Klaus Caprani

So sad to hear that!

Post by Klaus Caprani »

May he rest in peace. I learned from Bobbe's newsletter that he was seriously Ill.
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com
Bud Hall

Post by Bud Hall »

Zane and Tom were my steel guitar heros, I have lost both my heros now, but I will always have the wonderful memories of so many GREAT times. Playing twin steels with Tom at Bradley's Barn was the highlight of my modest steel guitar career. We wish Rolene and family the very best.

With Love,

Bud and Mary Hall
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Not only was Tom one of the great players, but even more so, he was one of the friendliest and kindest people I ever knew.

Rolene,I find you and your the rest of your family the same way. I consider it an honor to have known all of you. God Bless and strengthen you through your great loss.
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

Tom was one of my top favorite steelers, and it was sad to hear of his passing, but I'm glad to hear that he has gone to a better home. My prayers for his wife and family. Rest in peace, Tom, and thanks for the wonderful music.
Fred Burkett

Post by Fred Burkett »

I knew Tom a little, got to meet him a couple of times because of my good friend Waylon Brumley, Tom's cousin, and great steel player in his own right. I don't know whatever happened to him, last time I heard he was in Bakersfield playing gospel. That was 1976. If anyone knows, please let me know.

My heart goes out to the Brumley family, and all the players (or not) that loved Tom's music. There's not much else I can say that hasn't already been said, except maybe: Thank you Tom, for the time we did have with you, and for sharing your music and talent with the rest of the world.

God Bless,
Rick and Polly
My formal name is "Fred" but, I've always been called "Rick". Peavey Sessions 400. Peavey Duel Delta Fex. Korg DT-1 Pro Digital Tuner. D2F covers. And proud to say that Chuck Back is my friend.
Bud Isaacs

Post by Bud Isaacs »

We are so sorry to hear about Tom. He sure did a great job when he recorded "Bud's Bounce". Years ago Tom and Red Rhodes, hitch hiked to Nashville to see my Bigsby. I was playing at "WSM" Studio "C" with George Morgan, and they ask if they could look at my Steel, and I told them they could play it if they wanted to, and I left it there with them and went on home. Tom and his family are in our prayers. Bud and Geri
Robin Archer

Great Loss

Post by Robin Archer »

Just heard this evening from John Ciano at the Heartland Hayride radio show. I was sitting in a diner in Oceanside, Ca about 1961 (?) when I first heard Tom's amazing sounds on Together Again. Brought tears to my eyes as it does now.
Truely a great loss to the music world.
Maybe someday I'll be able to duplicate some of his stuff.
Robin Archer
Bob Ritter

Post by Bob Ritter »

God love you and your family Tom. I never met you but I loved your playing. You made it sound so cool on those songs and you made it look so fun and enjoyable when you played.
Gary C. Dygert

Post by Gary C. Dygert »

Because of illness and death in my family, I learned late of Tom's passing. My e-mail to Brumshow contained this: "Oddly enough, I recently dreamed that I was sitting at a pedal steel (I play nonpedal), and Tom Brumley, bare head and all, sat down beside me and started playing. If only!"

I said how much we would all miss Tom, and Rolene sent me a reply thanking ME for taking time to write to her! What a class act!