Janglebox?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Phill Martin

Janglebox?

Post by Phill Martin »

Has anyone here use this compressor EQ on a lap steel? If so what did you think about it?
YOU CAN TUNE A GUITAR BUT YOUR CAN'T TUNA FISH!

Bronson Melody King 6 string
National New Yorker 6
National D-8 Totem Pole
Rickenbacker D-6
Rickenbacker D-8
Frankensteinslide (OAHU/body) (SUPRO /string through pickup) (LESTREM/vibrato bridge)M88

Rickenbacker Amp M88 1953
1/2 watt sweet custom tube amp
Valco Supro Brown and White
Danelectro Twin 12
Crate all tube 12 watt with reverb sweeeet....
Phill Martin

Post by Phill Martin »

It appears by the number of people who have viewed this topic there are a few of you interested in this device and after talking with Steve at janglebox.com I've decided to get one so if any of you who have viewed this topic would like to know my opinion and possible sending or trying to post some sound files let me know of your interest. If there are no responses and requests for information then I will know that this is a dead subject.
Phill

National New Yorker 6
National D-8 Totem Pole
Rickenbacker D-6
Rickenbacker D-8
Frankensteinslide (OAHU/body) (SUPRO /string through pickup) (LESTREM/vibrato bridge)M88

Danelectro Twin 12
Dominic Macrone

Janglebox

Post by Dominic Macrone »

Phil - I am a huge Tom Petty fan, so I did buy a janglebox. I play acoustic / electric guitar and the box isn't deisgned to complement that. But, I do have a Tele and the Tele through the box to an amp or for recording was pretty great (if you like jangle, of course). The box is very well constructed and beautiful to look at (IMHO). However, I am not a fan of compressed guitar sounds and this box has a lot of "squeeze" to it. Plus, the "dark" setting was unusable for me. So - untimately I sold it. I don't play enough electric to justify having the box around. If compresion is helpful for steel playing I am sure you will like the box....and my apologies for being on a steel forum and knowing so little about steel guitar sounds!
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

I love the sound of a Janglebox on electric guitar. I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds with steel.
Phill Martin

Post by Phill Martin »

Should have the box next week will do some comparisons and let everyone know my opinion. The laps I will be using are vintage since I have not finished my 12 string with a humbucker wired to a five way switch. Ultimatly I'm hoping for that early Beatles jangle so to say. Like on ticket to ride. I know I'm not going to get a Roger Mc sound out of a 6 or 8 single sting lap.

National New Yorker 6
National D-8 Totem Pole
Rickenbacker D-6
Rickenbacker D-8

Danelectro Twin 12
Phill Martin

Post by Phill Martin »

Got the Janglebox last night had some problems with it, by that I mean it is particular with cables and guitars. I was using a 37 national with the amphoral plug and it did not like it along with some cheap older guitar cables. Got a lot of noise buzz hiss you name it.

So tonight I hooked up the Bronson with different cables and it was awesome I have not got the jangle or chime yet but the presence and projection of the sound is very satisfying for me.

I'm looking forward to learning to play with this box and get it to jangle and chime.

National New Yorker 6
National D-8 Totem Pole
Rickenbacker D-6
Rickenbacker D-8

Danelectro Twin 12
Phill Martin

Janglebox vs Tech 21 Liverpool

Post by Phill Martin »

I wanted to update all of you or is it you all who have read this thread and saw what I had stated about the Janglebox. Let me begin by saying that the Janglebox is very well built very quite and great for what it does, but it just did not do what I wanted for a lap guitar. So I picked up one of my Premier Guitar mags and saw an ad for the Tech 21 Liverpool and went to their site and watched some videos after seeing how versatile it is and how many different tones it will produce. I went and bought one here are a few links of videos of what it can sound like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puUlp_roE_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN4n4QkiKa4
http://emusician.com/ms/namm08/video/tech21_character/

As you can tell from the clips this pedal has plenty of possibilities. So in my opinion the Tech 21 Liverpool has more of what I'm looking for and that is the clean jingle jangle of a AC15/30 amp which has plenty of the Beatles sound and can go into a early Led Zep and you can hear on one of the clips a early ZZ Top Vibe. So this one is going to be a keeper for me and I hope that my sharing has helped you all or all of you here on the forum.

National New Yorker 6
National D-8 Totem Pole
Rickenbacker D-6
Rickenbacker D-8

Danelectro Twin 12