Pointy toed cowboy boots and all...................

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Montee

Pointy toed cowboy boots and all...................

Post by Ray Montee »

Since many of us have proudly worn pointy toed cowboy boots while playing our multi-pedalled steel guitars, I can't help ponder just how many of us might be suffering from ingrown toenails?

What with the current interest in gold teeth, false teeth, bald heads, etc..........I tho't this might actually be the result of playing pedal steel guitar.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Been wearing them all my life,no problem.Just make SURE you have the right size, DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Not much chance of a problem here - I don't ...and *can't*...wear cowboy boots. I don't see how (or why) any one could except for horseback riding. My wife hates high-heels, and I'm sure as heck not going to wear them; the narrow toes pinch your toes together casing all kinds of problems.

I had someone offer to make me a custom pair a couple years ago but nothing ever came of it...but he claimed you coudl walk miles in them and your feet would be fine. But for me"

1. I can't walk in them - no stability.
2. With my high instep getting a pair on and off is a 30 minutes ordeal both ways.
3. With my EEE wide feet I can't buy 'em off the shelf, and I'm not paying $1000 for a pair of shoes I might wear 3 or 4 times.
4. Can't play steel with them - ankle rolls are flat impossible and the heels are so high I can't fit under the guitars even with an extension kit.
5. They just don't fit in around here. I don't play in country bands and they end up looking pretty weird.
6. Last - I have had two pairs; they were band requirements years ago. Never could get comfortable in them - walking 100 feet was absolute murder.

I just don't get the repeated threads about boots and steel guitar. What the heck do shoes have to do with playing skill?

I'll stick with nice comfy Vans slip-ons, moccasins, or Top Siders.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Mark Lind-Hanson

Post by Mark Lind-Hanson »

I'd love to, but good cowboy boots nowadays cost you more than a Franklin. And I am not so sure it matters all so much either, what sort of shoes you wear, unless it's a stage image issue for you. Often I practice with just a sandal on my left foot.
Well, it IS an improvement over bare feet.
Dr. Richard Buffington

cowboy boots

Post by Dr. Richard Buffington »

It started out as a stage image but now I ware cowboy boots every time I play out. { over 60 years]. I get a cramp in my shin area on 3 or 4 hour gigs if I don't. My pedal rods may be a little short. Doc
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

The mistake some make is buying cheap walmart or K-mart boots,They won't last long,won't fit right,and are unconfortable,If you invest in GOOD ones that fit right they will last a long time,I have two pair that are over twenty years old,To each his own,some LOVE them,some HATE them. No big deal. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I'll play in anything but I prefer Justin Ropers. Low walking heel, wide at the ankle, round toe.
I've seen guys bring all kinds of footwear and change in to them to play or play barefoot. I think it's silly, analysis paralysis, won't make you a better player.
Like the country dansuers who bring their western boots and cowboy hats to a club then change into the costume to dance. It's lame.
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

I wear boots all the time, so it's no big whoop to play in them.

Comfortable as hell - easy to play in (Justin R toe):

As far as my Nocona pointy toes w/the underslung heel are concerned, well, I'd probably rather play in ice skates...
"...An admission of interest in protracted commentary is certainly no reason to capitalize on surmised aberations that do not exist." - BH
Doug Palmer

troubodour

Post by Doug Palmer »

Ever since I saw Buddy Charleton play with ET's band I've been hooked. I wear a dogger heel like his. I still can't play like him though!

Doug
Emmons D-10, ST-10,LD-10 III, NV-112,Fender Deluxe Reverb. Authorized wholesale dealer musicorp.com!
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Use to wear them in the Early Years when with the Ole Rasmussen Western Swing Band, but in later years when going to pedals had to give them up. They were very uncomfortable and awkward. As a side note, when Tommy (Spike) Doss left the O.R. Band to take Bob Nolan's place with the Sons of the Pioneers we stayed in touch when he was in town. He advised me that the SOTP's bought their fancy inlaid boots in Juarez, Mexico at very reasonable prices.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

With these I can hit three or four pedals at a time with each foot, and no sore toes... :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :wink: :wink:
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Billy Tonnesen wrote:He advised me that the SOTP's bought their fancy inlaid boots in Juarez, Mexico at very reasonable prices.
When I was with the Merl Lindsay band back in the 1960's, and we were booked in El Paso, Merl always loaded up a bus compartment with those Juarez boots. The band got first pick at cost, and the rest were sold along our tour route at 2 or 3 times what Merl paid for them. He said it paid for the gas for the bus. :)
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

The last pair of kickers, I bought were in 2003. Iwas at a western store in Baton Rouge, when my wife picked out these ostrich skin Justins' that had been discontinued. Boy howdy the price on those were right. So I ended up buying them. And they are comfortable too.
:)
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

I bought a pair of western boots in Edmonton Alberta that were made from Walrus skin. I paid $450.00 for them and I still wear them; it's been more than 30 years since I purchased them. They have been scuffed more than once and have been resoled about five times; however, walrus hide does not surface stain, the colouring goes all the way through the soft but extremely tough leather.

And guess what, they don't leak. :roll:
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I was looking to get a pair of boots when I was in New York. It had been several years since my last ones. I could not find a pair that worked. The ones I could get on were miles too big for my foot. The ones that fit I needed a strong hand to pull them off; could never do it by myself. I had to settle for a pair of half boots. In those I could only run at half speed. Guess I'll have to settle for half fast.
heavily medicated for your safety
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

I always liked having the pointed toes for easier access to the pedals and I like having the heel to decrease the distance you have to move your foot up and down on the pedals. Heck, I thought
pedal steel pickin' is what cowboy boots were made for.
I don't like walkng long distances in boots, though so I let the waitress bring me beer.