HOW did YOU finance YOUR BIG Guitar PURCHASE?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Martin

Post by David Martin »

My wife bought my first steel(MSA)for me. I saved the money I made playing to buy my first ShoBud which was stolen. I used the insurance money to buy another ShoBud and saved the money playing to buy my Emmons. I still have all three.
Jamie Peghiny

Post by Jamie Peghiny »

I've always saved up my gig money and paid for my instruments that way. It's guilt free and I can buy whatever I want. It works for me!
Jamie
Carter U -12, Fender Pro Duo, Martin DC28, Gibson ES175, G&L L-2000 bass, PRS Bass, Fender Vibrolux, Selmer Tenor, Buescher Alto, Conn Alto
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

I've always waited until I had enough money in the bank and then paid by cash or debit.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Glen Derksen wrote:I've always waited until I had enough money in the bank and then paid by cash or debit.
That's what I used to do, until, after 30 years playing home-made lap steels, and not being able to afford a pedal steel, I bought one on credit. :oops:

...and then the second, and third, and fourth, and fifth... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :whoa:
Mike Perlowin

Here's a suggtestion.

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I've done this a couple of times when I wanted an expensive toy.

Open up a special savings account at your bank, for the express purpose of saving up for whatever it is you want. Then, and this is the hard part, EVERY TIME you have an extra $5 or $10 in you pocket, go to the bank and deposit it immediately. Even if it's 4 or 5 times a week. Don't be afraid to drive the tellers crazy. And don't wait till you have $50 or 100. That's how the 5 and 10 dollars get frittered away.

You'd be surprised at how quickly it adds up.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

I feel fortunate enough that I have had a steady day job for the last 20 years, plus I only have one steel which I purchased through the forum and saved 50% of the cost of a new one. I am also strategically positioned in that I only live 3 miles from work so the money I would have spent on gas and extra vehicle maintenance can be used for extra accessories. Our house is not the biggest but it serves us fine. I do all the maintenance on the house such as painting, plumbing, etc. so the savings is money in the bank. In terms of car maintence I can handle some repairs so that is more savings.

I also have a friend who sells stuff on Ebay --I am only to happy to keep my closets clean of stuff I don't need. Sure, I probably could do this Ebay selling myself, but it just is easier to let him sell stuff and take a commission. He is much more efficient at composing the ads, packing the stuff, answering buyer questions, and making one trip to the post office or UPS to send. I've been blessed to have friends to carpool 4 hrs. to St. Louis for the convention and share a room -- that really saves money in the long-term.

I skimp but I am not a cheapskate. I always make sure that the waitress gets a good tip.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

My guitars have to earn their keep, so when I picked up my new Zum hybrid from Bruce at Dallas last year, I sold my old 97 Zum D10 (but kept the 2001)... the new guitar went to work in the studio first weekend home, and has long paid for itself already !!
I can't afford the luxury of "collecting" guitars so 2 Zum's is probably my limit (famous last words).
Although when the exchange rate eventually returns to normal I want a Split powered speaker from TC Furlong :lol:
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jim Phelps

HOW did YOU finance YOUR BIG Guitar PURCHASE?

Post by Jim Phelps »

Playing it.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

My wife pays for it...