What's the Deal

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Ferguson

What's the Deal

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I have to ask this question.

In the past 3 days, I have posted some video of the greatest players in the world.

Hundreds have viewed the topic and the actual videos on YouTube, BUT,
Hardly anyone has responded.

Are you out there in Forum land not starving to see and hear the greats of yesteryear and today?

I just have to ask to make a decision if the outcome is worth the effort in providing these video's.
These video's are in an extensive library of conventions which means each video requires a massive amount of time to look through the VHS tapes, convert a song to digital, make into a movie and post on YouTube.

So what's up?

Bill Ferguson
Leon Campbell

tapes

Post by Leon Campbell »

Hey Bill, I really do appreciate all the work you put into the tapes on you tube. Iam sorry for not telling you what they mean to me, I love them, including your own. Please keep up the good work,It is the thing I look for most on the forum. Again,Thanks. Leon
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

The deal could be Bill, not everyone feels an obligation to post a comment, redundancy maybe, but the sheer numbers speak for themselves. Keep posting my friend. :D

Forum Hits--UT Hit-- Forum Comments
Blues N C-- 517 -- 549 -- 15
R C G-- 410-- 455 -- 4

I think our local steel shows, when ever they happen, would be pleased to have 400+ people in attendance...
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Bill, I know your efforts are greatly appreciated, certainly by me and I'm sure by many, many others. You are doing a great service to the steel community by making these available for posterity as well as our current enjoyment and amazement. No doubt about it! Thank you, Bill!
Jim
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

HI BILL,

I FEEL THESE NUMBERS SHOW SOME APPRECIATION FOR YOUR EFFORTS. IT'S REALLY TOO BAD THERE HASN'T BEEN MANY COMMENTS MADE ABOUT THESE VIDEOS.

I SINCERELY HOPE YOU KEEP PUTTING THEM ON THE FORUM FOR US TO ENJOY.

ROGER

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTRUMENTAL TUNE TIMES VIEWED

ROSE COLORED GLASSES-----------------------------413

1989 ISGC Buddy Emmons Blues In "C"--------------519

ISGC 1989 Larry Sasser------------------------------294

Cold Cold Heart Austin Tripp & Bill Ferguson----------231
Ken Mizell

THANKS, and keep 'em coming

Post by Ken Mizell »

Dittos what everyone else says. I visit "Steel on the Web" at least once a day, and usually watch everything Bill posts for us. Sorry I don't often comment, but I acknowledge that I should do so. I wouldn't never have a chance to see most of the artist perform if it wasn't for these video's.

THANKS A LOT!!! :)
Steeless.
billy tam

bill's videos

Post by billy tam »

Hi Bill, I have never responded to a youtube video from anyone. I have however viewed probably everything you and others have posted and really appreciate them. The steel on the web section is always the first that I look to. So thanks from me and porbably a lot of other guys who don't tell their wives how much they are loved and appreciated often enough either.
Billy
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Bill,
I've watched all the videos you've posted. I really appreciate the effort you've made in doing this for us to see. I'm sorry for not posting a response on each post. I do hope you'll continue to do these.
Nick
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Nick, I was not implying that I wanted everybody to respond to each post.

But it would be nice to see some responses from many forum members that I know have never seen most of these players "live"

Thanks for posting
Bill
pdl20

posted vid's

Post by pdl20 »

Bill,don't think for a minute we aren't interested or don't thank you for doing this my friend.the videos are the first thing i check and have downloaded a mulitude of them .you are a blessing to us for doing this .Thanks. Rudy :D
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Tommy R. Butler

Post by Tommy R. Butler »

Bill I think the masses see your post and immediately click on the link and once over on youtube they stay there so long that by the time they are done on youtube they just get off the computer. I know everytime I go over there I cant watch just one video... I usually watch 15 or 20

Keep it up man. We wouldnt have this to enjoy if it werent for your efforts!!!!! Many thanks !!

TommyB
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Bill, i don't necessarily respond to all the clips that you put up
i can confirm tho' that i do watch all of them
since i have'nt seen any of the wonderful steelers you put up live, those vids do mean a lot to me
Thanx a bunch ! ;-)
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

Bill, I rarely post on here, but I for one definitely, greatly appreciate what you do for the steel community. The videos are all top notch and I surely look forward to seeing them and anxiously await the next one to be posted. It's great to see and hear someone that I have never had the chance to hear or see in person. Keep up the great work, it is appreciated.
Jack Taylor

Whats the deal- Bill Ferguson

Post by Jack Taylor »

Bill-I am one of those who view but have never responded. Believe me when you and all the others are really appreciated by me. Please dont stop. Thanks.
Ferdinando Ghidelli

videos

Post by Ferdinando Ghidelli »

I watched the videos a few minutes ago. As always a great and useful job. Thanks Mr. Ferguson :D
Jack Klein

videos

Post by Jack Klein »

hi, Bill, yur doin a great service to us and I've been lax to tell you so. I love every one. thanks, Jack
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

Bill, our international steel community is only so small and the far majority lives in the US. We, in the rest of the world rely on efforts made by American steelfriends like you. In the excellent steelpromoting tradition of Tom B, Scotty, Bobbe S, Jeff N, and B0b,
you supply us with video’s of our heroes, not only to enjoy, but also to be inspired and maybe challenged by.
Every night I meet with this small and worldwide community to get advise, to help if I can, to download a tab from someone who took the trouble of helping us out on a song etc. etc., but the first thing I open is “steel on the web” to see if you brought us a new treasure to enjoy.
This week, you not only brought me two beautiful clips of the big E, but also accompanied the passing of Tom with the right video memory.
As a teacher I can never visit Saint Louis in September, because its always right after the start of a schoolyear, but now I can witness some of it because of you. (The one time I did visit Scotty’s store during a summer, I left with a guitar, so this way is also cheaper)

The others are right “see how many hits you get”, believe us, that should tell you enough.
Marcel Parijs

Buddy Emmons Songs

Post by Marcel Parijs »

Hello Steelfriends,

I've try to play three Buddy Emmons songs that I add on My Space. It's was record at the home studio from my steel buddy Ted Tonjes. I used two band tracks from the Emmons course. So, there are a few mistakes but I hope you like it. Thanks anyway.

Marcel Parijs
www.myspace.com/marcelparijs
Marcel Parijs

Post by Marcel Parijs »

Bill,

I'll think the whole world off steelplayers and steelfriends love what you do. Thanks man for the great job you doing.

Marcel
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Bill, I think we all have been taking you for granted. For that, I do apologise. I just have to think back to my pre-SGF days to realise just how great a service you are providing. So, it's a BIG THANK YOU from me.

Cheers,
Arch.
I'm well behaved, so there!
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Thanks to all of you and I don't even mind being taken for granted.

What I do ask is that more people take the time to post a comment on YouTube.

This way when a "non" steeler comes across one of my videos, they will be able to see what a tight knit community we steelers are just by the number of comments on my YouTube videos.

As of this evening, we are at 1,654,164 hits on YouTube.

That is in 2 years and 4 months since I put up the very first video.

Considering (I would guess) that 75% or so of steelers are on the internet, I would say that they
just aren't very many of us world wide.
Plus a large # of people email me that they have seen my videos and they are not even musicians and had no clue what a steel guitar even was.

Keep watching,
Bill
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

Bill,
As a fellow Georgian, let me
express my thanks for
all the hard work.
The reason for my not posting is due to the fact
that I have just got back on
cable after almost a year on that dreaded dialup.
It takes just too much time for dialup to load the videos.
Also I tried posting on several different videos with
no success so I just kind of gave up
on trying.
Playing a lot of catch-up
on videos right now but I'll give er another try !
Just remember,
You don�t stop playing cause you get older,
You get older cause you stop playing ! http://www.myspace.com/johnpphillips
Jerry L Miller

Post by Jerry L Miller »

:( sorry the way i'm working now i have to listen and run.... what you are doing is great keep it up ...gotta go...
jerry
Bernie Gonyea

We Haven't Forgotten You ; Bill

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:lol: :whoa: :D

Bill : I was on the verge of contacting you just a short time ago to inquire why I hadn't seen any of your U-tube Videos very often, in the past few months. But was very wide awake when I see your most recent entries, with the Big " E "; our dear departed Tom and the one with Larry Sasser.. Thanks so much, Bill. I have always loved all your work to present us with the super talents. I apologize for not responding as often as I should, but know that I and many other forumites are thrilled with all you do for your fellow steel pickers.. God Bless you, BRO..Bernie :D :lol: :whoa:

P.S. Tom & I shared the same year of BIRTH; I was born in January '35 and Tom in December '35; Probably why I loved the guy so much as a fellow steeler and as a superb human being..Bernie :D :whoa: :lol: :)
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Bill,
I'll add my thanks and every good wish for what you've done. Like so many others, I've learned much from watching the greats do their thing--today's view of BE is an excellent opportunity for it.

I can't help but wonder, though, about how much longer you can continue, especially with the ISGC footage. Some time ago, you explained how things changed some years ago and that, I think, either such performances were not being taped anymore, or that it was something about the convention itself.

Either way, I wonder where the good stuff come from after a certain point in time, or am I missing something?

Nevertheless, thanks again, and well done indeed.