RIP......Buster B. Jones............

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Jerry Hayes

RIP......Buster B. Jones............

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Buster B. Jones, one of the greatest finger style guitarists alive has passed away in Oregon at the age of 49 from liver failure. He was a master at his craft and will surely be missed. He could hold his own with any of his contempories in the guitar world..........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Pete Woronowski

Post by Pete Woronowski »

So sorry to hear this, Buster did clinics for us in Canada and was an amazing player and a great guy.
Mullen Royal Precision
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

I was just starting to be a fan of Buster's. He was such a fine fingerstyle guitarist. Well, let's see, Chet, Jerry, Tommy Jones, Buster B. Jones. If I didn't know better I'd say someone has it in for fingerstyle guitarists. God grant them eternal peace. We miss you guys.
David Coplin

Post by David Coplin »

Some of my favorite memories of Buster were right here in Eugene oregon at a local restaurant and lounge were a group of us would meet for breakfast whenever we were all in town together. If Bobby Gibson was here he would call Buster and talk him into coming down although I dont think Buster liked that time of day . Buster and Bobby would take out their guitars and the fun would begin. They would trade songs and licks and just blow everyone away.
Breakfast there will never be the same. R.I.P. Buster and thanks for those memories.

Dave
Terry McArthur

Post by Terry McArthur »

I am shocked. This is so hard to believe. A young man with so much talent. We just saw him at CAAS this last summer. What a giant. I am saddened to my core.

Terry and Elsie McArthur
Carl Lambert

Post by Carl Lambert »

I seldom miss the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society convention here in Nashville every July and one of the high points of the convention was Buster B and his "boys", a group of youngsters he was tutoring. And a couple of them could almost keep up with him. In my opinion, some of the best finger-style guitar playing happened when Buster B. shared the stage with Thom Bresh. He was an awesome musician and CAAS just will not be the same this year.
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

I was a big fan of Buster. This is sad news. It was posted over on Mr. Guitar that Bobby Gibson was playing I'll see you im ny dreams as Buster passed. Busters had said this was the last song he wanted to hear. Well it was. Buster thanks for all the great music, go rest in peace.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Another sad loss. I love listening to Buster B's picking. I believe Chet said "he picks like he's double parked."
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

If anyone's never heard Buster play, just go to YouTube and put in his name. There's a lot of stuff by him including some instructional things. You'll be amazed at how good he is/was. I have a CD that he and Tom Bresh did called "Guts and Steel" which is awesome..........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Lonnie Portwood

Post by Lonnie Portwood »

So very sorry to hear this. Buster was truly a master guitarist. I was privileged to pick a few with him in the "Wallace" room last year at the CAAS show in nashville, and it was quite an honor for me. rest in peace, Buster. Lonnie
Music is probably the most "spiritual of mankinds emotions, and when practised with a pure heart, can lead one into the presence of God, who invented it. Lonnie Portwood
John Robel

Post by John Robel »

Thankfully,this great player left some instructional videos so all is not lost. Thanks Buster!!!!