MSA Classic

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Bressington

MSA Classic

Post by Larry Bressington »

How many MSA classic owners are there here?
How many can still walk straight? :?
Paul Norman

MSA Picture

Post by Paul Norman »

Here is a 1974 MSA Classic.
Kind of heavy, but solid.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I have two, a '74 D10, and a '75 S12. The S12 is being rebuilt right now, but the D10 is playable, if fact I played it with our church Praise Band this morning. It looks and plays like brand new. I built a set of split flight cases for it, which makes it much easier to transport. The guitar and both cases weigh right at 100 lbs.

I also have a '77 Classic SS if that counts.

Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Larry Bressington

Thats a beautiful looking steel dave! :)
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I still have my '73 D10 Classic ( 8+8 ), but don't use it much since I've got a newer, far lighter, model. One of these days, I'll tear it down, make a new body, and rebuild it (yeah, one of these days :wink:).

My latest "itchs" are a Fender 400 and a Multi-Kord. I'm interested to see just how well (or poorly) I can do on each, now that I know a little more about playing than I did forty-odd years ago.
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

Here's my 74 S-12 Bb Uni.
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Larry Bressington

Junior, i'll bet that sounds sweet! Of course though, you were smart enough to go Uni! :lol:
How do you see those guitars as far as todays guitars, politics aside!
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Darvin,my 74 is just like the one in your photo,same color,I to had my case cut down,about the only way I can handle her,After all these years she's still SOLID as a rock.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

I've got a black '74 D-10 with 8X4.She's solid and stays in tune,very seldom breaks a string.This guitar is not for women and children.

Andy
Charles Davidson

Andy,you are right about string breakage,I have owned some great guitars,Buds,Emmons,Zums,Derbys,etc,But my MSA classic is the best guitar I've had as far as string breakage,It's very rare to break a third string.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Larry Bressington

Mine is the same way, i think it has something to do with the length of the string from hook to finger, the longer it is, the stronger, to a certain exstent, i may be wrong, but i thought i read that somewhere. Killer stage tone, clear lows and cut through highs, Brilliant guitars!! :)
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Here are my 2

And of course, the Milly

I feel like I’ve got 2 old wives and a hot young girlfriend.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Ernie Pollock

My MSA S-12U

Post by Ernie Pollock »

Heres my MSA S-12 Universal that I have been using, a great old guitar with a few 'extra' raises on a couple of strings.

I think Don Hinson told me this was a '72 or '73 model Classic. It still has the original MSA single coil p/u & I have an extra MSA pickup in case it would happen to go bad. I have been playing it through a Steel King, or SE-150 Evans, or my old Nashville with LeMay Mods. I like the Nashville best, but the boys in the band like the Steel King.
These old MSA's are tough to wear out!! Hope this one lasts me till I wrap it up.

Ernie :D
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

Larry,
This ole guitar plays smooth..short action,good tone...it has a 5 position GL P/up in it that I am gonna change out. The only thing it needs is a little more sustain above the 12th fret. It takes me back to 1972 when I first went to a Bb setup.
But I play my Rains on the gig..SD 10 with 4 & 5!!
The guitars today are far better than the old ones as far as mechanics goes...unless you have an old MSA! JMHO..
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Paul Wade

msa pedal steel

Post by Paul Wade »

here is some of mine that i had thru the years
great guitars...
p.w :)
Brenda Scarborough

Post by Brenda Scarborough »

My dad has a 1973 MSA Classic he wants to sell but I have no idea what the ballpark price should be. It's a 12 (can be 10) string with 5 pedals, 3 knee levers. One owner, EX condition with hard case.
Any help out there?
Thanks,
Brenda
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

Mine is a late 70's S-10 Classic Super Sustain II, red lacquer. Solid, heavy. I put wheels at the right end of the case and a solid handle at the other.

Wish I could afford the D-12 in the for sale section, but it would just sit at home. Don't think I could carry it to the car.

A friend, Mars Case, had a D-10. I could lift it out of the case, but couldn't lift it into the car trunk for him. He tuned the back neck down to A6, and it sounded absolutely huge.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Got mine in the late 70's and still going strong. Put a BL705 on it (when Buddy Emmons and Bill Lawrence were first building steel pickups). Recently added a 4th Franklin pedal and an X-lever.

I have a low G# on 10 and the B is on the 9th position with a knee lever to pull it to up to D

Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Mmmm, mmmm, good. ;-)

Prevent Juvenile delinquecy...teach children to STEEL

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.
Charles Davidson

My only guitar is a 74 MSA d-10 classic,the most dependable guitar I'v ever had,LOVE HER,DYKBC.
Brian Rung

Post by Brian Rung »

'73 Semi-Classic 3/4, Has my fretboard been changed?

Did the semi-classics not have the chess piece inlays?

Aspiring Hawaiian.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I picked up a guitar from Bud Carter today. If you need anything done to those MSA's give Bud a call. 903-778-2051
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

My Canadian Linkon D10 is pretty much an MSA copy. Mostly (if not all) MSA parts and technology...and it's probably as heavy as one, too.

Image[/img]
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Brian Rung wrote:Did the semi-classics not have the chess piece inlays?
Don't know about all but my semi-classic has the chess pieces.
Larry Bressington

Thanks gents, that is some beautiful history there of one of the finest and heaviest guitars ever built.
The last time i got caught carrying mine into a honkytonk, the crowd did this!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I said; If you think this is funny, wait till you hear me play it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A.K.A Chappy.