Staining/finishing dynalap #02

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

I'm expecting (much-delayed, thanks to UPS) delivery today of a Dynalap model #02 8-string steel. It's got purple heartwood sandwiched between pieces of maple. I've finished doors and furniture, many years ago, but not a guitar. I'd like to get this as right as I can, given my situation--little experience, no sprayer, but willing to take some time. If anyone can direct me to a thread or website that would steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it mucho.

I did read the recent SGF thread titled "refinishing" and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to do the extensive masking (before staining) discussed there. I'm expecting a level surface where the wood types transition and I'm hoping it won't be so tricky.

If push comes to shove, I guess I can always buy a few cans of colored lacquer, some flame decals, and just go nuts
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

If you want a natural finish, Tru Oil is a great way to go. It can take some effort to do a level glossy finish, but IMHO nothing brings out the beauty in wood better.

Also lots of great finishing info at Guitar Reranch http://reranch.com/
Their forum is here http://www.reranch.com/reranch/
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

I went back and looked at some of the older posts about Dynalap. Did anyone ever succesfully mount legs on either model #1 or 2? Is the pickup height adjustable on both sides? thanks.
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

The pickup height is only adjustable if you place something underneath the pickup to raise it up. Mounting the pickup is made by screwing it into the wood, no adjustment mechanism. It is not designed from to be adjustable 'on the fly'.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

I cut out a properly sized chunk of sponge and gotter wet (wrung out completely) to allow some springy yet compressable support and placed it under the PU with a piece of cardboard as a buffer so no remaining dampness would contact/affect the PU, and screwed 'er down to the desired height once I had the strings back in place.
Mark Vinbury

Dynalap Legs

Post by Mark Vinbury »

Here are a couple of photos of a Dynalap with legs attached by Don Walters.

John Burton

Re: Dynalap Legs

Post by John Burton »

Mark Vinbury wrote:Here are a couple of photos of a Dynalap with legs attached by Don Walters.
:eek: :D Nice!
that there's a right pretty instrument.

Man. I got to order one to work on this spring!
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

I second that, i have an unused wallace pickup, maybe that would be good place to put it
Doug Freeman

Post by Doug Freeman »

Here's a Dynalap 02 I got last year and finished with about six coats of clear satin lacquer, the first couple with a little amber stain, using the Preval aerosol sprayers that you can get at a good hardware store or through Stewart MacDonald:

Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

So let's hear some sound clips or thots on the quality of tone/sound of their DLs.

Of course, I love the sound of these.
Doug Freeman

Post by Doug Freeman »

Nice woody resonance acoustically, which I wish translated a little more when amplified. I feel like I'm hearing mostly the pickup rather than anything distinctively from the guitar itself. The body is pretty thin physically, and I think it'd benefit from a little more heft. And maybe a sound chamber or two! But then it becomes a more expensive proposition, and its great virtue is its low cost. On the whole it's got great looks, very respectable sound, and is probably the best 8-string lap steel value to be had out there. And Mark's a swell guy to boot.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

The good PU deffinitely is a plus, but I think the body as it is, and the unconventional layout, in particular the nut/bridge, and strings thru, has a lot to do with the total performance.
I originally thot these would sound much less, but was surprised when mine ranked right there with my few other top shelf steels, and has a sound of it's own.
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

Here is my finished Dynalap. I tapered the staining on the neck. Used Minwax products, Sedona Red. It has less defects than my playing. Finished it over the holidays.

Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

Here is my model #1 that I finished a year or so ago. It's the same one pictured on the Dynalap website.

Here is a quicktime video of me playing it. Sloppy playing, but it should give an idea of the general character of the tone. The sound was recorded direct through a Sarno Tonic tube preamp. The video file is large (29MB), probably not worth the time if you have a slow connection.
Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

Jerry,

that's a great sound--I can't wait to string mine up (the finish is still drying).

Then there's the problem of my having to learn to play the thing.

My next dynalap will be a model 01--the two-tone look of the 02 is great, but I'm guessing the 01 is a lot less work to finish. I put a lot of coats of sealer on that purple heart wood on my 02. Maple is less porous.