Revelation preamps.....anyone using them?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Dean Parks wrote:Paul Franklin borrowed my rig for the recent Lyle Lovett CD "It's Not Big, It's Large".

Revelation preamp, one side of a Mosvalve 80 watt power amp, speaker is old orange JBL 120 in a Fender extension cabinet. Volume pedal in the front send/return loop.

His Franklin on everything but "I Will Rise Up...", which was my Carter SD-10.

Good soundbytes on iTunes.

-dean-
Great sounding steel work AND sound on a fine, fine album.

I have a Revelation and a Black box
and you can't take them from me.
No sale, no how. Super units and
I use them for other than just steel too.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Vernon Hester

Revelation

Post by Vernon Hester »

I am using mine with 2 Lexicon's and love it.
Vernon Hester
BOBBY JACKS

Post by BOBBY JACKS »

:D I Love Mine
Profex II With Fox Mods Stewart 1.2
Awesome, And Brads A Great Guy Super Product
You Won't Be Sorry :D
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

If you can swing it, do not hesitate to order a Revelation or a Tonic. I have one of each and could not be happier. I think they are sounding better than ever. Plus...Brad Sarno is an excellent person who takes his work very seriously. Great products, great person, great service... Why in the world would you get something else?

My three rigs are:
Rig #1 Revelation, TC M ONE, two SPLIT CB12 (livin' large)
Rig #2 Tonic w/internal reverb, TC Vintage Delay, one SPLIT CB12 (oooh la la)
Rig #3 Tonic w/internal reverb, TC Vintage Delay, XLR direct out to console for recording work where I can't mic a speaker. Important - bright switch in "DARK" position (sweeeet)

TC
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

TC you are no slouch with the electronics.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Ray DeVoe

Rev / Tonic

Post by Ray DeVoe »

I think the biggest testimony to Brads Revelation and other products line is the fact that there are very few that ever come back up for resale. I can say the same about TC's SPLITS.

Here is an example of both of their work combined together.

The above is one fine amplifier setup.

I kind of originally linked these fellows up as I knew Brad was in the process of developing the Revelation and TC was looking into class D amp circuits. I told TC to check in with Brad as they were both working toward a great steel amp product line. It turned out to be a winning combination. !

I have both the Revelation and now the Tonic and they are both about equal in sound.

The Tonic offers easy portability and on board reverb but the Revelation offers stereo capability and is slightly more user friendly with it's style knobs and line markings.

A slight touch of any control knob changes things quickly and the line markings give someone a little more of a reference point.

The bottom line is this. You cant go wrong with Brad's and TC's products. The products are top shelf and the guys stand behind their products. I personally can attest to this.

Ray DeVoe
Zum SD 10 Hybrid, Zum D 10 Hybrid, Emmons SD 10 P.P.
SMS: Revelation & Classic Preamps: Furlong 12" & 15" Splits.
Telonics 500 C: Quilter-T.T.12": Fender T.M. Twin
Len Amaral

split cab combo?

Post by Len Amaral »

Hi Ray, I viewed your post and picture regarding the split cab combo. I have 2 split cabs with the 12" speaker and 3 Revelation preamps and I was thinking of getting another combo for smaller gigs. What speaker do you have in your amp and how is the reverb in Tonic preamp. I don't see this unit listed on TC's website.

Regards,

Len Amaral
Ray DeVoe

Post by Ray DeVoe »

Hey Len

How are you.?

Did you get that G2 universal that you were ordering?

As to the split, I bought it without any speaker installed.

I had several "well broke in" Peavey 1501-4 Black Widows sitting around and I installed one of those in it. My original intention was to install a Neo BW in it but everything was back ordered.

I plan on keeping the current speaker in it as it sounds great and the Neo is only meant to be around 6 lb's lighter.

TC also plans to make a closed back 12" SPLIT with an opening for the TONIC.

I bought the Tonic direct from Brad and TC installed it as it was the first combination unit out the door and he wanted to do some extra testing.

The reverb is good but adding a delay with it still adds to the sound. It's as good as you find in any standard production amp made today.

Hope this answers your questions and good hearing from you

Ray
Zum SD 10 Hybrid, Zum D 10 Hybrid, Emmons SD 10 P.P.
SMS: Revelation & Classic Preamps: Furlong 12" & 15" Splits.
Telonics 500 C: Quilter-T.T.12": Fender T.M. Twin
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Hi Ray, thanks for the info on the split combo. Yes I did receive the G2 and it is a very nice instrument.
Gary Steele

Revelation Pre- Amp

Post by Gary Steele »

My Revelation is the best i'v seen my opinion of any thing i'v used. T.C. Your 12 Inch Powered Cabinets are just as awesome and make a great pair with the Revelation. I'v gotten lots of Compliments on these already. They sound like they are 10 Feet tall. With the economy like it is i thought i'd never get rid of some of my other equipment Like my D-130's in the Rick Johnson Cabs.
I am trading some of this for a brand new Laquer Steel, Should be built within 2 months.
Gary Steele.
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

2nd all that - love mine. Nice to have it next to me so I can tweek it as the night goes by - rooms change as you know - so nice to adjust without running to the back of the stage. It's a fantastic piece of equip. , depending on the room I take either the NV400 or NV112 and plug into the 'amp in' , works great, lusting after the Furlong powered box, then I'm DONE buying equip. :)
Chris Kennison
Rhythm Cats - steel, guitar, banjo, dobro
Gold Canyon, AZ
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Tony Rankin

Post by Tony Rankin »

I've been using mine on stage for well over a year, through two Peavey Nashville 112's. This past Monday, I just used it in the studio for the first time. It was awesome!

I can't say enough about how great the Revelation really is. It is absolutely the best money I've spent on sound equipment.
Tony Rankin
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I've had my RTP 2 yrs now and it would be hard to go back to SS amps i used for 30 yrs. I find i don't mess with my EQs like i did with SS amps when i play live. I still use my 112 for practice cause it's easier to carry around.
I've been using mine with a mosvalve 500 and 2 BW speakers and the tone is there every night. All i can say is i love it and Thanks Brad for making them.
Don Drummer

rtp

Post by Don Drummer »

Rev Tube.. Yes Yes
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

Larry Behm wrote:Tony you would only have to travel 100 miles to Eugene to hook up with Jerry Gleason and check out the Tonic.
I understand Todd Clinesmith is getting one along with a TC Furlong combo, and he's just down the road in Glide.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

I use a Rev with two Furlong cabinets. Sometimes, depending on how lazy I am I'll just use one cabinet and run mono. I love having the rack setup down within easy reach on the RH side. And it's nice to not have to get up or twist around to tweak an amp's settings.

Great, no, make that outstanding, equipment. Truth be told, the setup's capability and potential is beyond my playing skill and I hesitated putting this posting up along with those of so many fine players. But I do enjoy playing through the Rev and those Furlongs.
Gary Glisson

rev pre-amp

Post by Gary Glisson »

hi i bought a rev pre-amp should have it in about 4 weeks i'll be running it thru the power amp in on my nashville 400's. anyone have some good settings i can start out with?
thanks
gary glisson