History Of The Name.....MSA!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Reece Anderson

History Of The Name.....MSA!

Post by Reece Anderson »

I have always revered the history of MSA and stated that which I believed was verifiable. The story of MSA has been displayed on the MSA website for years, as well as published many times. However, there has been a lingering question in the minds of many as to……… who was the “S” in MSA.

Although I was personally convinced I had remembered how it came to be, only recently did my recollection become verifiable when while cleaning my attic I found an envelope which contained a specific document.

Following are the events which lead to the naming of the company………..

In the earliest beginnings, Tom Morrell and Danny Shields were making a guitar called the Morrell/Shields Custom, of which there may still be a few in existence. Danny Shields was living in Kansas, and Tom Morrell was living in New Mexico. Tom was raised in Dallas, so we had been friends before he moved to New Mexico.

Tom contacted me and told me he and Danny (whom I had never met) wanted to move to Dallas and build guitars, and asked if I would be interested in starting a new company with him and Danny. After some deliberation I accepted, and my first responsibilities were to secure startup financing and find a place to build guitars. After we were in business, my responsibilities were to be that of sales, public relations, legal filings, and Tom and Danny were to build the guitars.

Just before that time I had met Bobbe Seymour, who was also living and playing in the Dallas area. While having a phone conversation with Bobbe, I told him I was going into the guitar business with two other people. I also told him they would soon be moving to Dallas, and at the time I had not secured financing or found a place to build guitars. Bobbe then very kindly volunteered his double car garage as a temporary place until I found a suitable building and secured financing.

When Tom and Danny arrived, they moved into Bobbe’s garage and soon went about completing the last of the Morrell/Shields Custom guitar orders……. before the newly intended company went into business. While they were building those guitars, Bobbe started helping them, and it soon became clear that because of his ability, efforts and exceptional aptitude and attitude, he would be an asset were he to be part of the company yet to be named or legally formed.

During this time we talked about naming the company MSSA. (Morrell/Shields/Seymour/Anderson) We considered MSAS, SASM, ASSM, MASS, and finally decided upon MSA because it was more identifiable with letters such as USA and BSA. The order of the letters ultimately decided upon had no relevance other than easy identification. At that time we all agreed the “S” stood for BOTH Shields AND Seymour.

I soon located a building suitable for our purpose and we began moving into the facility, although the company had not been named or legally formed at that time. Bobbe of course came along with us, and they began setting up shop while I secured the financing for the venture and instituted office procedures.

Before the new company was registered and legally formed, Bobbe told us he had made the decision to move out of town and pursue other opportunities. Until that time the three of us (Tom, Danny and myself) considered Bobbe as part of the company although it was yet to be legally formed. Upon his leaving, Bobbe signed a document saying he was officially resigning from what was before considered a gentlemen’s agreement.…………the original document Bobbe signed is that which i found while cleaning my attic. The document validates his departure was prior to the forming of the company to be later known as MSA.

When I made all MSA legal filings, MSA stood for Morrell/Shields/Anderson because Bobbe had previously left of his own volition, and was therefore no longer a part of the company.

To answer to the question…..”was Bobbe part of the earliest beginning of MSA”? The answer would be “YES”.

To answer the question….. “was Bobbe part of the actual beginning of the MSA as it became known, the answer would be “NO”.

To answer the question……”is it a correct statement to say Bobbe was once considered by Tom, Danny and I as (part of) the “S” in MSA, the answer would be “YES”.

To answer the question…..”is it correct to say that when the company was legally formed, Bobbe had previously left, therefore he was NOT part of the company which became known as MSA”. The answer would be “YES”.

I understand and appreciate those who have asked me over the years who the “S” was in MSA, and my truthful answer had to be Danny Shields. Had someone asked Bobbe who was the “S” in MSA, his truthful answer could have been Seymour, and that too would have been true.

Lastly I want it to be clear, the only reason I have not told this full story before, was because it could not be verified that Bobbe had left BEFORE MSA went into business and made all necessary fillings which clearly stated the three owners as being Morrell/Shields/Anderson. The document I recently discovered has provided conclusive proof of the timeline between Bobbe’s leaving and the later formation of MSA.

The positive contributions and accommodating nature of Bobbe in the earliest beginnings of the company, will forever be acknowledged and recorded as a part of the history of the earliest beginnings of MSA.

Regretfully both Tom and Danny are now both deceased, however I know I can also speak for them when I say…….. we all thank my (our) dear friend Bobbe Seymour for that which he done in our behalf many years ago.

This brings closure to the history of MSA as written……………….
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

Reece, Thanks for the clarification on the MSA history.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Fascinating history, well written. Thanks, Reece. You cleared up a lot of the historical fog. Yer pal, HS
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ellis Miller

Post by Ellis Miller »

I have some very fond memories of Danny Shields. I had the pleasure of playing in a band with him back in the '70s and am grateful to have formed a friendship with him. He helped me hot rod a Telecaster that I am still playing. Danny was very proud of his contributions to MSA Steel Guitars and rightfully so. He was a good guy.
Ellis Miller
Don't believe everything you think.
http://www.ellismillermusic.com
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

great story, thank you for sharing it with us..

Db
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Maury Sanderson, thank you for saying all this and catching me off guard, Ha! Well what can I say, Yes I remember all this as I had moved to Dallas to build steel guitars, but it wasn't too long until the 117 degree temporature in Dallas got to me that summer in '63. (no air cond.) Nashville was cooler to me so I left and joined the Ray Price congragation. I ended up enjoying playing and my steel building took backseat for a while, but 12 years later I started Steel Guitar Nashville, and made a few more steel guitars, and sold a bunch of everyone elses.

Back to the subject at hand, the formation of MSA was a long time ago now,(1963) I was a kid and have been blessed with a great musical life in steel guitar since those days. Maurice (Maury Sanderson) is again a great friend and teacher to myself and the young steel players of today.

We all need to do what we can to be great mentors to the wonderful young and the not so young players of today.

I thank Maurice for the hospitality he gave me in the late fifties and most of all the direction he gave my playing in the early years, I, like many players, appreciate what the "old pros" did for me as a young pickasist, now it's time to pay back so like Maurice, I'm devoting my life to helping all play the finest they can.

Thank you Mr. Anderson for starting this thread.
See you in Dallas on the non-pedal portion of the March Jam!

Bobbe Seymour :D

Bobbe Seymour
Steel Guitar Nashville
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Nice one Reece!! You know, you guys played a major part in the development of steel guitar and have continued to do so over the years. Maury Sanderson and Bob B Seemore. Used to be called the Dangerous Brothers in their youth. :lol:

Hope to see you both again in April this year.

Ken B.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

Very gracious statements from both Reece & Bobbe.
The final word from the horses mouth and also the
other end. You be the
judge of which is which end.
(Just kidding guys !)
I LOVE YOU BOTH !
Just remember,
You don�t stop playing cause you get older,
You get older cause you stop playing ! http://www.myspace.com/johnpphillips
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Aww! And now you know why I like kittens.
I love a happy ending.
Thanks, Reece and Bobbe.

Arch.
I'm well behaved, so there!
Randy Gilliam

Great Story

Post by Randy Gilliam »

Thanks Maurice And Bobbe For A Great Story. I Bet Both Of you could Write a Thousand More ! Bobbe Its Not 117 Yet But It aint 30 Either , Your Pal Randy Gilliam. :D
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Reece, that was a fascinating story! I have always been taken by the MSA story, simply because I owned an MSA Classic D10 and loved this guitar. Ever since I sold it, I have regretted that decision. I would have loved to trace this guitar but have no way of doing it, except for who sold it to who and then re-sold to some unknown player. The only ID mark I had on it was the custom plate I had inscribed and fastened to the front of it.

Thanks for enlightening all of us!
Bent
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Ellis Miller, what a nice suprize to see your name on the forum, hope all is well with you. I recall many a gig with Pete Martell and yourself playing harmony parts etc at the Nashville West. Pete is living in Vancouver Wa, no one sees him much these days, his health may be an issue.

I knew Danny as well as anyone could I guess. He lived in Portland for years. He sold me a Dobro once, I took a steel gig away from him once that lasted about 10 years, (not my doing), he and I worked very hard experimenting with pickups for Sierra. No one had a faster one liner than Danny, he would keep you laughing all night. I miss him even today.

Larry Behm
Bernie Gonyea

The Great MSA Steel Guitars

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :whoa: :roll:

Wow, Maury, I had always wondered myself what the " S " stood for. Thought it may have been your middle Initial; but anyways thanks for sharing the story with all we steel guitar lovers. Love to hear stories of the different companies whom build these fine instruments. In my 40 or 50 years of playing, I had not known one player whom used an " MSA " guitar. Emmons and Sho-Buds were the most visible brands in my neck of the woods.But in recent years, have made friends with many " MSA " owners. I have one friend whom still plays his MSA at 77, and it's one of the greatest guitars I've ever listened to.. Thanks, for sharing this fascinating piece of history..Bernie :whoa: :lol: :roll: :)
Terry Winter

Post by Terry Winter »

I really have a love of MSA having had a Classic SS as my first quality guitar. To all those who made this company happen; Thanks!

Terry
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Reece, correct me if I'm out of it, but I believe MSA was building something like 2600 guitars a year at the height of productiion. True or False.

Phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Great story Reece.. We all enjoyed it..

MSA guitars have been a big part of my life for over 30 years .. 5 of them have passed through my fumbling hands, They have had multiple thousands upon thousands of folks listen to the music they made,and thats just me.. Multiply that by probably thousands of other players that have played MSA guitars, and you have millions of smiling people enjoying the music that came from your guitars.
A worthy legacy..
I am older now, don't play steel out as much and am now down to just one steel[not an MSA], but your guitars were a major part of my life for decades.. MSA steels were the guitars I used when I was a full time player in the 70's and 80's.. In a sense,the guitars you built, were what I used to feed, clothe, and care for my family....bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

So it is not true that Al Gore started MSA?
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Of course, I've been an MSA player since I got started, nearly 30 years ago, But I used to have a cat named SAM.

It would have been so cool if you guys had re-arranged the letters so I could say the company was named after my cat........

Thanks Reece for making the best steel guitars in the world.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bobby Bowman

Msa

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Reese,
As I remember some of it,,,,,
We moved into the back of a music store on Tyler Street. I believe that room was originally a maintenance room. I think the owner at that time was named Don and I can't remember his last name. The room was kinda' long and narrow and had both concrete and dirt as flooring,,,maybe mostly dirt,,,lol. That would have been '63 or '64. A little later Bobby Garrett took over the store and not too long after that we moved up and across the street a couple of blocks. It was (for us) a nice big building and had all concrete floring with maybe rubber tile on at least some of it. I think we were across the street from Stamps Baxter Quartet headquaters,,,or one of those popular Gospel quartes at the time.
Back at to the old "boiler room" store there was a fiddle makeer across the street that had been burned very badly. Can't remember his name, but he was a really nice gentleman. Also there was a case maker, I think his last name was Thomas. He made me an attache case that I kept for years and years.
At the new and larger building on Tyler is where I think and feel that the concept of steel guitar shows, organized jams and get togethers was really started with earnst,,,we invited a bunch of steelers from Dallas/Ft.Worth area and a few from across the counry. Scotty may have been one of them. All together I think we had 50 or more people there.
Also, a little known fact, we were the very first Yamaha Guitar dealer in Texas, as far as I remember. That's when we also started the MSA custom String Company via way of GHS along with a lot of "extra" do dads that are so common in todays market place. I think somewhere right in there is when your brother Jerry came on the sceene. We also had Tom McCormik (SP?) doing amps and maybe the Howard Guitars also. Some of that is a little fuzzy after all these years. haha
All in all, it was a great ride and time for me and many friendships were formed during that period, most of which still continue to this day. Those friendships are forever my "leaning posts", even those who have gone on before those of us who remain.
Actually, we could probably write a book about those old and formative days of MSA.
Thanks and God bless,
BB
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com
Bobby Bowman

re MSA

Post by Bobby Bowman »

I also remember our first attemps at castings and pick up winders. It was a very serious matter back then, but looking back on it now,,,it's very humorous. At least to me.
Boy, some of the ideas that you, Morrell, Danny and myself came up with were almost beyond belief. Ironickly, a lot of those ideas have been "retooled and refined" and are present on many, if not most of all the pedal steel guitars today. Ofcoarse, MSA included.
I should have included the influences of a fellow named Jess Hudson, I beleve deceased now, in the above post.
And of very, very importance, maybe more than anyone else,,,Mervin "Bud" Carter.
BB
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Bobby B , I was just going to pose a question about Mr. Bud Carter and his history of invention and involvement with pedal steel design and MSA.

I bought my first MSA 1C2013 new around 1974 and noticed his name on the sticker. I called and ordered some parts over the years and was always treated well and parts were always available as was advice as to how to replace and why it was needed.
I was also very surprised to see a brown customized van with name Bud Carter - Steel Man on the rear spare cover hauling down a highway in Pennsylvania back in the mid 80's. I never did find out if that actually was THE Bud Carter.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Bobby, the old violin maker's name was Philip Krouse, his grandson and I have been good friends for about 30 years. He was badly burned in a bomber crash in WWII. Mark Giles worked in his shop also.
Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 7 Jan 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Bobby Bowman

re

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Bo,
I'm not sure on that one. We actually called him "Bud Man" and even had a banner and logo made up for him. I thought he may have came down to Texas from Missouri,,,,not too sure of that either.
Darvin,
Yessir, that was his name. Thank you sir. I would really be interested in talking with his son if possible. Bet Reese would too.
Thanks,
BB
Bobby Bowman

re again

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Darvin,,,,I meant to say Grandson.

Bo, come to think of it, I do believe Bud came rollin' in in a brown van,,,,so could very well be.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I need to learn to proofread. My previous post should have read "Mark Giles worked in his "SHOP" not 'ship'. Oh well, getting old sure beats the alternative.

Philip's grandson moved from Duncanville, to Louden, Tn. about 4 or 5 years ago, but I still talk to him every month or two.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.