William "Wash" Martin

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bruce W Heffner

William "Wash" Martin

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

I recieved a call last night letting me know "Wash" passed away last night. He was from Tamaqua PA. He was another great local steel player whose knowledge spanned the history of the instrument and all the great old country parks in PA. He will be sorely missed. I also believe he was in the Air Force or Army during the 50's stationed with Curly Chalker.
Bruce W Heffner AKA Wally

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ
Ken Newman

wash RIP

Post by Ken Newman »

a close friend or ours, bill rehrig, apprised me this morning. a home town hero to some folks, wash, rarely took credit for that. he knew more than he pretended to know, he never used this bouy except to make good music. always the gentleman, wash was sincerely impressed with another's playing. got to play with wash's psg efforts in the late 60's early 70's a number of times when he played for shorty long. he played his music to the people. the people understood it and enjoyed.
the deepest praise for wash and his extended family, always, from the newman family, sleepy hollow ranch.
you know where his spirit lives. precious memories, kenny
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

It is not too often that you cross paths on the Forum with someone who speaks with authority on something like Sleepy Hollow Ranch and Shorty Long.

I was wondering if you recall what happened to Herbie (y..?) Johnson who played steel for Shorty in the early to mid 50's ?

Regards, Paul
Ken Newman

herby johnson

Post by Ken Newman »

this being wash's thread, you must know that wash has in his colletion of stuff,,, rca victor 45 song, entitled 'texas lil' of the sleepy hollow ranch gang with vocal by pancake pete, [my daddy], and the sleepy hollow trio, pete, jack day, peewee miller. [late 40's] the major rhythm instrument is your friend herby johnson and his steel guitar. unique yes, commercial helck no. wash, loved it! the way herby used his technique of tone bar lift off! that is wash. he loved everyones effort at makin' music. herby played with many a club and radio group and traveled some with my folks during the forties. pretty sure even to augusta, and Macon and orlando. that would be prolly remembered by my ma, sophie, she is ninety five with a memory on par with the library of congress. she will be thrilled you asked about herby. paul, maybe you new that herby was doing bar twirls extordinaire, before some of our other heros could play 'happy birthday'. oh, don't forget his imitation of noel boggs, juaqin murphy, and his favourite, jerry b. damng, thanks for the precious memories.
herby, chime in if you can. it is ok, if you can't, we will ketch up.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

All these loose ends....

Coming togeather as we old timers get ready to Go Home.

Wally; Tommy; Ken; Wash; Herby; Chalker; Byrd; and ME ???

Will the circle be unbroken ?? I never would have said Pennsylvania was a Steel Guitar Treasure Chest but you all have said it for me !!

Regards, Paul
Bob Baringer

Post by Bob Baringer »

Without a doubt my best friend...I met Wash near 55 yrs.ago at a country park near Berlinsville Pa.steel was still "lap steel" he was good then and just got better after that, then came pedals, I was still on 10 string Alkire "Eharp" with the help of Wash I went to pedals he was great then and was still until his passing, God I will miss him ...Bob
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

I had the privilege of meeting and picking with Wash on several occasions along with Bobby Baringer and Del Roy. A nice man and a great picker. And, as someone mentioned earlier, he truly did enjoy everyone's playing no matter what level of ability they were at. I was very new to the instrument at the time of our jam sessions and he, as well as Del and Bobby were very encouraging and helpful. He will be missed.

Robbie Bossert
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I've also known “Wash” for many years and also while he worked around WSAN in Allentown with Curley Gibson and Merle Becker and Pepper & Janie and I was working with Tex Carson! Wash was emailing me pretty regular up until a few years ago, when his correspondance stopped! I think the last contact I had with him was when he was thousands of feet in the air for the charter service he flew and on his way to Ohio! He used to visit me at my home when I still lived in Telford, Pa. and we would work on Steel Guitar pedals together! Many pleasant memories connected to Wash! I used to visit him in Tomaqua too! I miss him a lot! R.I.P. My Dear Friend, “WASH”
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
William Peters

Post by William Peters »

I played with Washy a few times. He was a great guy, and a great musician. We all will miss him.
Bill

Mullen RP SD12U, Carvin SX200C
Rob Segal

Wash

Post by Rob Segal »

I jammed with Wash a number of times, from when I started steeling. As everyone says, he was always supportive of my and others' efforts. He was a great player, always pulling out some uniquely interesting way of getting from a to b. I enjoyed knowing him, and will miss him. Rest in peace,

Rob Segal
Gordy Rex

Post by Gordy Rex »

A Sad Day indeed, a great man and everyones hero here in east Pa. RIP
Gordy