Formica covered steels look cheap and ugly

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Huff

my ugly green carter sd-10

Post by Tommy Huff »

hi there Jimmy Gibson...I think your Carter is beautiful well, cause I have an sd-10 Carter with the same green mica on it! WOW!! I sure do wish I had known it was ugly before I bought it. But seriously I'm real glad we have both Chocolate and Vanilla! Merry Christmas..........Richard Burton
Charles Dempsey

Post by Charles Dempsey »

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Charles Dempsey wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:
Rick Schmidt wrote:Why?
Because.
Because why?
Because I said so. :mrgreen:
Why did you say so?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Joe Rogers wrote:Donny, that "someone" happens to be one of the most respected names in steel guitar building with more innovations to his credit than you shake a stick at. ;-)
Joe Rogers
Joe, I suggest you go back and read John's post. He actually substantiated what I've said! Lacquer's biggest problems are cure time between coats and damage, and also he said he knew of no one using many, many coats or a "French polishing" technique.

Look guys, someone finishing or refinishing his own steel can take 40-50 hours on that finishing job. A company or even an average private builder would go broke doing that.

When you're doing it for a living, time is money. :mrgreen:
basilh

Post by basilh »

When you're doing it for a living, time is money
So basically we have to take utilitarian because of the cost involved ? That implies there IS something better than the norm..why not ask the manufacturers to raise the bar a little (Pun not intended)
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Look guys, someone finishing or refinishing his own steel can take 40-50 hours on that finishing job. A company or even an average private builder would go broke doing that.
I agree with Donny...it took me almost 2 weeks to finish my steel guitar with lacquer, i wasn't in a hurry but for someone who does it for a living time is money. :)
Comeau SD10 4x5, Comeau S10 3x5, Peavey Session 500,Fender Telecaster,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Precision,1978 Ovation Viper electric. Alvarez 4 strings Violin electric.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Dan Murphy

Post by Dan Murphy »

As a profesional custom and oem painter and bodyman , I say Urethane is a much better choice because it stays flexable whereas lacquer does not.P.s Richard didnt you read the Forum Rules?? Next time try to keep you statements more neutral .However It is a good diverse thread. P.S. Cant We All Just Get Along?? :lol: :lol: :P :P
basilh

Post by basilh »

but for someone who does it for a living time is money.
And the better the finish the more money we would expect to pay, and the more money the builder would make (Presumably)
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Charles Dempsey wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:
Charles Dempsey wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:
Rick Schmidt wrote:Why?
Because.
Because why?
Because I said so. :mrgreen:
Why did you say so?
Because just be-
cause just be-
cause. :lol:
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
b0b

Post by b0b »

Stop the off topic chatter, please! :x
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Donny, I think it's possible you may have misunderstood my very first post. Let's back up.

Richard wrote:

I hate the look of steels clad in formica, it's just an easy short-cut for manufacturers.

I came back with:

Somehow I don't think "an easy short-cut" was the original intention of putting mica on a guitar.

I never once said lacquer was easier than mica. In fact I can agree lacquer is more time consuming. I meant that there were quite possibly other reasons for using mica other than "an easy short cut". I am referring to tonal differences. Every reference you made since then has been to validate that lacquer takes longer. That was never the point in my first posting.

Joe Rogers
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Okay joe, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. :) Actually, the only reason I opened my big mouth was that I thought that some newbies might think that mica guitars were generally cheap and junky, while natural finish wood guitars were beautiful and of better quality. People have every right to like what they like, but they should know that junk exists in both laminated and natural wood persuasions. It's no different than the time I had to dispel the myth that p/p guitars were no longer made because they were so expensive. :roll:

A lotta people just wanna push their own agenda and preferences on everyone else.
Keith White

Mica Finishes

Post by Keith White »

Hi all ,its each to ones own for what we want but i have just payed for a Hartly rains in white mica for my daughter to pick up at the show in march.The tone on that will sound the same as the other colours,that should give her a few years of playing without any problems. Its a steel thats all that matters to me, one more built for a younger player. Regards to you all at this festive time of the year.Keith White uk.
Sho-Bud 'LDG', Sho-Bud 'The Professional', Rains SD10, Fessenden D10, Hilton Pedal, Peavey Session 500, Peavey 112, Lots of PV PA, And of course, the BJS Bar (for the best tone)! Love all Steel Guitars!
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

I think I'll have my next one made out of house siding! 30 year guarantee! :lol:
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

It's been fairly well documented, as well as I having heard it from the "horse's mouth" personally, that an impervious finish was chosen by Buddy because someone left a burning cigarette on his Bigsby, in spite of the fact that he had an ashtray attached to the guitar.

Mica glass was originally put on some of the prototypes but it was decided that it was too costly and difficult to do, so laminate was chosen instead. This was told to me by both Buddy and Ron Sr. personally, like I said above. And I'm sure Mike Cass will verify this as well.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Charles Dempsey

Post by Charles Dempsey »

b0b wrote:Stop the off topic chatter, please! :x
I'm sorry b0b. I've never seen a cascade on the SGF. Got away with it for a while though, didn't I :D.

I would normally have some things to say about the topic, but dissing what must be about 85% of existing steel guitars (and by association, the players who own them) because of their finish is parochial and more than a little bit inflamatory, so I decided to keep my mouth shut and do something silly. You should be proud of me :) .

Cool beans Mike, see 'ya next time.

Charlie
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

what Herb said.
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

If the appearance of your PSG really displeases you, it might affect your playing negatively.

If you think Formica is ugly, play lacquer. If dings, dents, chips and burn bother you, play lacquer.

It's a musical instrument, not a piece of furniture, and even if it's a work of art, it still needs to make music. More music, less talk.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

After reviewing this lengthy and interesting thread the only conclusion I have reached is that Ned McIntosh's blonde Carter is the most beautiful steel I have ever seen. I believe that covering up that beautiful piece of wood with mica would be like putting lipstick on a pig...at least that's what I believe that I believed.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Cheap and ugly:

Click Here

:lol:
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Duncan,

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. It was love at first sight when I saw it on the Carter website. However, I have to add the Cass restorations pictured on this thread are mouth-wateringly beautiful. Now I just have to achieve tone to match the looks.

How fortunate we are to have an instrument than can bewitch us with both its beauty to the eye and to the ears!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

those darn ugly mica guitars...I think I`ll buy a spray can of pink paint and paint this ugly MOFO...

Db
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

and those end plates are just too darn cheese so shiny, tomorrow I`m going to Home Depot get me some sand paper and fix that cheap ugly shine....

Db
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Last edited by Stuart Legg on 2 Jan 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Then there is the problem of lacquer changing colors,as in the last Blue Darlin, which is now green...