Can you help me get an ID on this guitar, please?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Harris

Can you help me get an ID on this guitar, please?

Post by Mike Harris »

This is for sale locally (more or less) and the seller doesn't know what brand it is--can anyone lend a hand (or a couple of eyes) in this matter?

Thanks!

Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Wright

What The Heck Is This?

Post by Don Wright »

The headstock covers and pickups appear to be Magnatone. In any event, it's obviously rare and has a cool look to it.
1940 Vega Double 8, 1 Bakelite and 1 Metal Rickenbacher, Oahu Tonemaster. '66 Fender Twin, Bogner Alchemist and vintage Baldwin amplifier.
Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

Here's a better head shot--pickups to follow in next post

Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

This is the last pic--plate/pickups, etc.

Michael Lee Allen

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

Is it in the 850.00 range in decent condition? Is it valued more for its collectibility than its worth as a modern instrument?
Michael Lee Allen

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

These are nice sounding steels. They have design implementations from Paul Bigsby. Tony Locke plays one of these with Wayne Hancock.

I have a few of the 6 string guitars with this pickup and I like the way they sound.
Last edited by Mike Neer on 18 Dec 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Wright

Post by Don Wright »

I don't know about the collectible aspect, but if you're gonna play it, it has the same features as a mid-50's Fender Stringmaster - Long scale necks, dual pickups on each neck, volume and Speedy West Boo-wah knob (sometimes referred to as a tone control) - for less than half the price of the more common Fender. I had a single neck version of this guitar several years back and it sounded good. To determine its value as a playable instrument, it's probably worth $250 - $275 per neck, so $850 sounds okay, but it's not a steal for this steel.(IMHO)
1940 Vega Double 8, 1 Bakelite and 1 Metal Rickenbacher, Oahu Tonemaster. '66 Fender Twin, Bogner Alchemist and vintage Baldwin amplifier.
Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

Many thanks to all who responded--I now have all the info I need (and, wow, really quick, guys).
Ron Whitfield

Mike, Michael, anybody...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Can further info be had to prove these PUs were of Bigsby origin? For years I've heard this stated, but have seen no hard evidence. Tho I appreciate Mike's 'implimentation' aspect.
I have Maganatone/Bigsby PUs in my Mag Mark V guitar, a guitar which was designed by Mr. Bigsby for Magnatone, the only company PA ever did so with, but are much different from the chrome covered style that is also often credited to him.

I had the single neck version, a Varsity styled guitar, that had these PUs, but wasn't floored by the overall tone, too middy, and hardly any bottom, at least wired the way it was.

The Maestro pictured looks like it may be in disstressed condition. Only if it were in much better cond. would it command the $850 price, unless these have somehow become highly sought after, which I doubt.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I'm not sure which elements were designed by Bigsby, but here's an ad mentioning his name (courtesy of Michael Lee Allen):

Ron Whitfield

Interesting...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Strange they allude simply to 'Bigsby approved', whereas in the cats from 1960-ish they highly taught that PA was fully involved in the Mark IVs and Vs complete design.

I guess this vauge mention and the PUs quasi Bigsby look is where the questions lay.

Thanx for pointing that out, Mike, and making me squint like hell to read it, w/glasses!
Eddie Cunningham

T-8 Magnatone !!

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

That steel looks just like the one I had previously owned . IMHO the Magnatone was the best sounding steel in that time era !! I believe they evolved from the Dickerson Co. steels. They had heavier metal chrome plates and sounded beautiful !! To my knowledge no country steeler in the States played them , almost all were on Fenders for the sharper sound , but I heard Barney Issacs play a Mag. D-8 on Hawaii Calls around 1953 and Webley Edwards commented on Barneys new Magnatone steel !! I loved the sound and priced them out but they were more $$$ than Fenders so I got a Fender !! I did pick up a T-8 Mag. around 18 years ago for $300.oo but sold it 3 years ago for $600.oo , wish I had kept it !! She was in perfect condition . Eddie "C"
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I think the pickups on the Mark III were more similar than the later versions. The Mark III was his first design and I think it might have been a non-professional model.

For one thing, he inspired the scale-length and the fretboard. I think those big knobs, too. The tone pot has a great boowah sound. Still, I'm not sure about the pup.

I probably shouldn't say this, but the G65 and G70 are, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck steel out there. I have one of each.
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

Looks like mine, a '55 Maestro
Jay

Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

Whoa--now THAT looks like it's worth eight-fifty!

(and then some)

Jay, that is one handsome axe.