Don Helms

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bobby Caldwell

Don Helms

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

Lets not forget Uncle Don, who passed in August of 2008. He was one the finest musicians and true gentlemen I ever met. Thanks for the memories Uncle Don. Rest in peace dear friend. You are missed and thought of often, Bobby
Last edited by Bobby Caldwell on 8 Jan 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Hammers
Location: Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.

Post by Danny Hammers »

Thanks Bobby ...for this post

Aug. 11 2008
A small Memorial to Don I put on Joe's web site
http://joeturnersoundtracks.com/jt.htm
With Don playing Cold Cold Heart

There is not a day goes by that in some way, that I don't think of Don. I still talk to Hazel about once a week.
Don was my very best friend and I miss him so much.

And your right, he was a true gentleman

Danny
Last edited by Danny Hammers on 12 Dec 2008 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gibson Console Grand D8 - Weenick DT-10 - Dynalap S8 - TriboTone Bars
Nashville 112s - Vegas 400
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Doyle Weigold

Post by Doyle Weigold »

Bobby and Danny, the band I am in backed Don and, correct me if I'm wrong, I beleive his name was Melcalf, doing a "Hank" tribute show. I have been in the buisness over 50 years and have backed a number of Nashville Acts. I have never worked a show that was as strong or emotional as that was. I beleive I had tears comin' down my face the entire show. A Pickin' Bro. Doyle
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Mr Weigold,
That may have been Chris Malpass..He and Uncle Don used to do lots of shows together..He is a young kid from North Carolina.Great talent.
RP ...'come on in'...
Tommy Shown

Don Helms

Post by Tommy Shown »

I was shocked the day I found out that Don Helms died. He was true master of the steel. And he will be missed by everyone.
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

Actually, Don passed away about 4 months ago, just a few weeks before the ISGC. We certainly do miss him.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Yes, I miss Don too!

Please remember also to pray for Hazell, Don's wife; they were together since grade school. I'm sure she misses him more than any of us. She is such a sweet, dear lady.

Next, Don and Zane Beck were two guys who told me how it was back when I was a kid starting out on steel. THey gave me some of the best advice that any musicians ever gave me. I ain't never forgot it either!

Also, Don and I talked about his relationship with the LORD, I am confident he's with Jesus now too.

But I sure miss all those guys: Don Helms, Julian THarpe, Speedy West, Zane Beck and others.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood