Willie's Place

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Evans

Willie's Place

Post by David Evans »

WHAT A GREAT STATION!IT IS THE ONLY PLACE I KNOW OF TO HEAR REAL COUNTRY MUSIC AND NONE OF THAT NASHVILLE BUBBLEGUM CRAP ON REGULAR COUNTRY RADIO.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I LIKE IT TOO
Ellis Miller

Post by Ellis Miller »

Yep!! Let's hope the marketing geniuses at Sirrius/XM don't mess it up in the transition.
Ellis Miller
Don't believe everything you think.
http://www.ellismillermusic.com
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

I've actually heard "steel" solos on this channel!
Yeah, hope they don't mess it up.
jas.
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Willie's Place and Outlaw Country with Dallas Wayne. Great stuff.

Robbie Bossert 8)
Mack Quinney

Post by Mack Quinney »

Yep, I just bought a new truck and the Sirrus radio came with it for a year without a subscription. I didn't think I wanted or needed Sirrus radio, but I foung Willie's Place and haven't change the radio sense! Real country music in my book. Anyway, I told the wife the truck is real nice, but the radio station is better! :lol: Sometimes I just sit in the truck to listen to the radio. :lol: :lol:
76 Emmons Push Pull, Williams 600, ShoBud Pro I, MSA Classic, Remington SteelMaster dbl 8, MSA Super Slide dbl 8, Gold Tone 6, And other instruments and equipment I can't afford.
Peter Dollard

Your Truck Isn't The Only Place You Can Get It

Post by Peter Dollard »

If you have direct tv I believe they include those stations. Also if you are willing to spring for a little extra Sirrius will send you an adapter thing you can hook up to all you radios, devices at home to listen to their stufff....However I believe there is a monthly service charge for it....Peter
Richard Parks

Willie's Place

Post by Richard Parks »

On my Directv channel 811 is Willie's Place and it stays on all the time around here....excellent country music.
Carter D10 8 & 5, NV112, FLSTC
Keith Poteat

Post by Keith Poteat »

Anybody know what happened to one of the MCs called Catfish? Had a great voice.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I like Willie's and also XM 10.

Had the recent good fortune of letting my 3-year subscription lapse and then getting a much better price without signing up for another 3 years.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Chris Reesor

Post by Chris Reesor »

Hooray for Willie's Place! I've just been getting it since the merger but that's where she's set most of the time now (when not on CBC). Dallas Wayne is cool for a taste of Texas, and let's not forget Cowboy & Alamo (also on 63). Tonight after Amber Digby's "Heart I'm Ashamed Of You" (don't you just gotta love that steel/fiddle harmony ride) the display said Buddy Emmons & Johnny Bush & George (musta run outta letters) The Same Old Me. Now how much cooler than THAT can you get?
CR.
Excel Superb U12, MIJ Squier tele, modified Deluxe Reverb RI, Cube 80XL, self built acoustics & mandolins
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

If you like Willie's Place now you would have really loved it before the merger. The programming before the merge was A LOT more Texas honky tonk, Western Swing,twin fiddles, loud steel guitar, etc. Now it sounds more like a typical "country gold" station with a smattering of the old format. It is definitely a mere shadow of it's former self. I've had subscriptions to both services for years, and musicwise, XM was definitely superior, unfortunately, the "suits" at Sirius are now "running the show" and they have greatly "homogenized" all the formats. Oh, for the good ole days.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I heard "El Paso" again yesterday, and realized that I've known that tune for almost 50 years. I know it so well that I can easily make up dirty lyrics to it as it is playing along.

Maturity? Never!
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I like Willies Place also, And yes they play the REAL country music that I grew up on. It's better than the "Legends" channel that we have locally.
A good while back I talked to one of the air personalities about playing some Billy Walker and some Johnny Bush, He looked at me and asked who were
they? I told him that they were "legends" too. Sometimes I wish someone wouid take a flame thrower to the stuf they call country today. I mean it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Poholsky

Post by Mike Poholsky »

I agree Stephen. I had a whole response here, but did't want to put bad mojo on this thread. See "X Country. What Happened?" Its on down the page a little. I like Willies Place, I sincerely hope it doesn't get trashed in the process of whats going on.
Zumsteel 12 Universal
SGBB
ShoBud VP
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

I like king crimson lp picture
Mike Poholsky

Post by Mike Poholsky »

Thanks Joseph. One of my favorite albums & cover. Blast from the past! I didn't exactly grow up listening to Country Music. It took Steel Guitar to get me there! LOL
Zumsteel 12 Universal
SGBB
ShoBud VP
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

Richard,

I've had DirecTV for years. Just discovered channel 811 thanks to your post. Now maybe I can get some real home cooked meals as my wife listens to that great music!

Thanks Again
Richard Parks

Willie's Place

Post by Richard Parks »

Jeff,

You're welcome and good luck with the meals.

R. Parks
Carter D10 8 & 5, NV112, FLSTC
Ricky Thibodeaux

Try this out

Post by Ricky Thibodeaux »

For GREAT Texas honky tonk try this site.
http://www.live365.com/stations/sandysamples
Randy Gilliam

Sandy Samples

Post by Randy Gilliam »

I Played Steel For Sandy Samples In San Antonio Texas in The 70S . I Wonder If Its The same ? She Was a Great Singer , I still have some 45s She sang on. Randy Gilliam. :D