chromatic tuner

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Krumel

chromatic tuner

Post by Joe Krumel »

Im very limited on funds. what chromatic tuner would do the job? I know there are bunches of them out there, but want a decent one. thanks, Joe
Jack Mattison

Stroboflip

Post by Jack Mattison »

Take a look at the Peterson StroboFlip. Has presets by Jeff Newman and Buddy Emmons. I really like mine.
Little Round Mound of Sound. D-10 8/5 ShoBud "The Professional" Pevey NV400.
Sonny Priddy

funer

Post by Sonny Priddy »

The Boss Is Real Good And Not To High I Ust One All Time. Boss TU-12H. SONNY
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

I have a Boss that I might be willing to sell. They are great tuners.

Casey
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

They all work. This is another "what color is best" question. It's all a matter of what you prefer.

I use a Korg AT-12.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

The Korg CA30 will do the job and it fits the budget for someone who is limited on funds. It's not fancy, but it works. I've been using one for years.

CLICK HERE

Lee, from South Texas
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Ditto on the CA-30. I can spend time telling you the small faults of it and what you get if you spend more $$ but I've not found a better tuner for the price and it totally works. If you are serious about limited budget, this is a winner.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

My choice is the BOSS T-U 12,been using it for years,simple,fast and dependable,around 70 bucks.I love BOSS products.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Rok Hoblitzell

Post by Rok Hoblitzell »

Korg CA-30 does what you need for about $20.00. There are better ones, but none better for the money...
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I have a Korg CA-30 as a back-up tuner. It works as well as most. And it's cheap. Don't forget to bring a small flashlight, the display is very hard to see in dim light.
Allen Kentfield

Post by Allen Kentfield »

When I bought my CA-30, they had another Korg for a little more $$ that had a lighted dial. I wish I gotten one; other than that, it's great. I start tuning with string 10 one hertz sharp, which brings me up to 444hz on the third string. What else do you need?

Al Kentfield
Jonestown, Texas
Ken Mizell

Korg LCA-120

Post by Ken Mizell »

I'm using a Korg LCA-120. $60. Flip-top tuner with nice sized, lighted, LCD display dial. 1 set of programmable off-sets. Small and nicely built too. I love it.
Steeless.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Korg CA-30. $20.00.
Allen Kentfield

correction

Post by Allen Kentfield »

I just noticed a typo on my previous comment. I tune string 3, pedals down, to A-440.

Al Kentfield
Jonestown. Texas
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

SEIKO ST757 about $20.
Small, easy to store.
Charlie Thompson

Post by Charlie Thompson »

Isn't there a tuner that will work while resting on the body?
Has anyone tried one?
Ray Langley

Post by Ray Langley »

The Korg AW-1 clips on the headstock. It is hands-free. It has a built in piezo and a mic. It works great even if your electric is unplugged.

http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no ... egory_id=5
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I tried to use a clip-on tuner with my steel, but there was nowhere on my Emmons where I could attach it! The guitar's body is only just too thick. They work fine clipped on to the headstock of a regular guitar, though.

My favourite - 'though it's not the cheapest out there - is the Boss TU 12H.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Korg CA 40. $24.99 and has through jack to keep it connected as opposed to Korg CA 30 (one of which I have to frequently share with our 6 stringer guitar guys)...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=210132
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I don't feel the LCD needles are as accurate as real needles; anyone have a different scientific view or observation? Lighted diodes are the worst.

I've used a BOSS TU-12 for years; wish it had a lighted dial, and auto-off, it somehow turns itself on in my pack-a-seat and eats batteries, dang. But it's super reliable. A series of early KORG tuners, albeit sold and recommended by Tom Bradshaw at the time, all went haywire and were unreliable.

I also have a BOSS TU-15, it does have a lighted dial, and other nice things; but in some club situations where a DJ is blaring, this tuner hears all that through the pickups and just won't settle in as easily as the TU-12. Anyone else experience that? Is there a fix for that?

I don't yet have personal experience with the Peterson digital strobe tuners, do need to try those out soon.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
james sluder

Tuner

Post by james sluder »

You might want to check out the sabine st-1100 or the 1000 . I have both and they work great for me.I have been using the sabine 1000 for about 10 years.

there are some on e-bay,,around 20.00 i got a st-1100 this week on a 16.50 bid !

Just my 2 cents worth !
Ray Langley

Post by Ray Langley »

I wish I were Opporknockity 'cuz Opporknockity only Tunes Once.
Jerry H. Moore

Post by Jerry H. Moore »

The strobo flip is great with its presets but take time to read all the other comments about that tuner on SGF. I still use mine but I unplug my guitar and plug the tuner in and tune and then hook the steel back up. Any common combination of trying to get it in the line causes a tone loss or a hum. I'm still experimenting other suggestions from the SGF. I suggest a good name tuner that will tune to the sweetened tunings. :) Good Luck
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

I use a korg 30, and it is right on. And very reasonable too.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I still swear by my BOSS TU-12,John McClung said sometimes his turns on while stored in his seat,John do you keep it in the case it came with ? That should not happen IF it's in the case'DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !