Music vs Regular CD's

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Richard Sinkler

Music vs Regular CD's

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Is there really a difference in blank CD's that are marked for Music and ones that are just regular CD's? I have always used music CD's for recording music and regular one's for data. A friend of mine has been giving me CD's of old tapes of bands I used to be in and he is using regular CD's and they play fine in all my different CD players.
Lou[NE]

Post by Lou[NE] »

I don't remember what the difference is, but I think you pay extra for it and it doesn't make any difference. I've always used plain ol' data CDs for music and they work just fine.
Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

Richard the difference is the format. The CDR's & CDR Rewritables marked "Music", are for a home CD recorder. Like a Philps, or Sony. The Data CD's you mentioned will not work on some of the older home CD writers and recorders. However things change, and the Data CD's will work on many of the home CD recorders built today. Music CDR's will work on your computer, but the Data CDR's will not work on your home recorder. Thats the difference, the format. Cass :wink:
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

"Music" CD-R blanks have a track burned in them to identify them. The extra cost goes back to the music industry and was a compromise to the industry when standalone audio CD recorders came out. Most standalone CD Recorders must see that extra track that identifies the CD-R blank as a "music" CD-R.

PC's do not need the "music" CD-R blanks and use the "data" CD-R's for all CD burning - for standard Audio, Data and MP3's (and an MP3 CD is really nothing more than a "Data" CD).
Richard Sinkler

I've been using these regular CD's that my my friend gave me in my car, my home stereo (Philips CD recorder - bought years ago when they first came out), the Pioneer multi CD changer in my stereo (very old) and the CD player in my clock radio, and they all play fine.

The reason I asked was, I bought a printer that prints onto CD's and haven't seen any printable music CD blanks, just regular ones. I usually used the music CD's in the past. I just mastered a song I recorded on my Korg D3200 onto the sample disc that came with the printer. It plays in all the above players too.

I read (can't remember where) a long time ago, that there was no difference in the 2 types and was just a ploy by the manufacturers to get more money for the music CD blanks.

EDIT: But, I don't think I have ever tried recording to a regular disc using the Philips recorder in my stereo system. All these other discs I am talking about were recorded using a computer or my standalone multitrack recorder (basically just a specialized computer).
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

It boils down to this - if you're burning CDs on a computer, you can use regular CD-Rs or Music CD-Rs (but might as well use regular since they're cheaper). If you're burning discs on a standalone CD recorder, you may have to use the Music CD-Rs, especially if it's an older model. The only difference is the price and compatibility with the recorders - there's no audio difference or compatibility issue with players.
Last edited by Bryan Daste on 10 Nov 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Sinkler

Bryan, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Still trying to find blank music Cd's that are ink jet printable. Any suggestions. Tried Tiger Direct and Fry's Electronics.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Check out Sam's Club. I know they have Verbatim ink jet printable CD-R's (what I use) and I think they have Verbatim ink jet printable music CD-R's too.
Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

If you're burning discs on a standalone CD recorder, you may have to use the Music CD-Rs, especially if it's an older model.
ummmm...thats exactly what i said. :D
Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

Still trying to find blank music Cd's that are ink jet printable. Any suggestions. Tried Tiger Direct and Fry's Electronics.

If worse comes to worse richard. Record your disc on your stand alone machine using your "Music" or "Audio" CDR. Then simply put that on your computer, then transfer it to a printable data disc.
Cass ;-)
Richard Sinkler

Cass, you are correct. I should have given credit to you and Jack for the correct answers.

Jack,
I don't think I have ever seen a Sam's Club around here.