Who played steel for the Hinsons?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kevin Robbins

Who played steel for the Hinsons?

Post by Kevin Robbins »

I recently purchased some remix cd music by the Hinsons gospel group from the 80's and 90's. They had some fantastic steel picking in their music. Does anyone out there know who might have been playing with them.
MASGA, Mullen G2, Hilton, Evans, Webb, Walker
Richard Ingley

Post by Richard Ingley »

As I recall, per the producer, Nelson Parkerson, the studio recordings had Sonny Garrish on them. At least, most of them
Tom Harris

Post by Tom Harris »

I know a steel player who played with The Hinsons",,his name was "Royce Tarver from down around "Gonzales La.",,not sure what year,,but I think he told me It was the Late 70ies and early 80ies...
Royce,,hope you dont mind my posting this lol....
Tom Harris
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

Ronnie Moore and Scotty Sanders come to mind...
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Jerry Fessenden

Hinsons

Post by Jerry Fessenden »

I was at some of the sessions with Doug Jernigan ,,,he had to warm up the C- neck ..
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

I remember Sonny Garrish being on alot of their songs.

They are one of my all time favorite Country Gospel groups.

Their classic originally on LP format, recordings titled "The Group That GOD Built," was one of my favorites.

Terry Wood
Eddie D.Bollinger

Post by Eddie D.Bollinger »

I wore some Hinson LP's OUT, trying to figure out
what Mr. Garrish was doing. Great and Classic
Southern gospel music. All the local-yocal groups
played their songs around here. Their music was one of the soundtracks to my youth.

I remember reading the liner notes /credits, looking for the steel player on all of the Hinson albums available to me.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

In the mid-70s, our band was playing at a nearby military base. We were on a trailer parked behind a lower bandstand. As I was setting up, a black gospel group was doing the same on the lower front stage. I was, as someone said earlier, warming up and busied myself finding their keys and chord changes as the music was unfamiliar to me.

A little later, I realized they were actually performing so I shut down and quietly removed myself. The B-24 man asked me where I was going and I told him I had not realized they were doing a show.

He said: Please stay with us; I have enjoyed your playing! It is something very new to us. I did play some more because I really was enjoying the challenge, boo boos and all. Nowadays I'd be sending out an SOS for Robert Randolph !!!

Regards, Paul :oops: :oops: :oops:
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I saw them live lots of times back in the '80s, and once, they didn't have a keyboard player which was really unusual for a Southern Gospel group. Scott Sanders was playing steel, Kenny played some guitar, and they had bass, and drums, which was all they needed. Scott did all of the lead work, and did a great job.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I have one album along with Garrish is BE and Larry Sasser. One of my favorite groups.

Tony
Ric Truett

The Hinsons ...

Post by Ric Truett »

are old friends of mine. Kenny actually produced 2 albums for me back in the 80's. He used Sonny Garrish on one and Paul Franklin on the other. Friends it don't get much better than that!

My good friend Scott Sanders played in a local group that we shared the stage with on a few occasions here in Florida. We became friends and hung around when we could. I played keyboards mostly back then and had no interest in the steel. Boy I could have learned a lot from him! Scott if you're out there give me a call!

In fact I was there when the Hinsons first saw Scott and asked him to audition for the group. Scott played steel for most of the Hinson's later years. I sure miss my buddy Kenny - he was the BEST!
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

I seen the Hinsons back in 1984 here in Columbus,and Scott Sanders was playing steel with then. He was playing a black Sho~Bud Super Pro.
Eddie Harper

Hinsons

Post by Eddie Harper »

I played on a concert with the Original Hinsons with Ronnie Moore playing steel at the Taft theatre in Dayton, Ohio a long long time ago.......Eddie
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

I was playing with a country-gospel group in Northwest LA when Scott Sanders first joined the Hinsons (his third or fourth show)he was a little timid and was only 16 years old.....but did a great job. I still like to hear him play. He and Sonny Garrish sound a good bit alike. IMHO.........HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Wayne Morgan

Post by Wayne Morgan »

I saw the Hensons a few times back when on their live shoes, they had bass, drums,kenny on lead guitar and Jerry Prim, i think on keys, great road band for the gospel grope
Wayne
Billy McCoy

Hinson's Steeler

Post by Billy McCoy »

Hey folks,

Back in the mid to late 80's was Scott Sanders and then Darrel LaCroy (I don't think I spelled his name correctly).

In 1980 and through '82 no steeler...it was Steve Dixon on Lead Guitar...he later went on to play for TG Sheppard and then Whispering Bill Anderson...then on to Dollywood.

Scotty Sanders is doing session work in Nashville....I never heard what happened to OR where LaCroy went.

Maybe somebody on the forum can enlighten us.

I live just a few miles from the Bass Player that had through the 80's, Kerry Huckaba...we gig together from time to time and he is GREAT in the studio.

Later,
b
Studio and Stage

MSA Millennium 2 D10, Walker Stereo Steel, Stone Tree Custom Tele, Tom Anderson Hollow "T", Brian Moore I-Guitar, Bad Cat (Trem Cat 30w), Fender Evil Twin and POD HD 500
Michael Douchette

Funny you should mention TG... so many of the Hinson band members went to work for TG, I remember Kenny telling me on a session he felt like TG's farm club... :lol:
Mikey D... H.S.P.

Billy McCoy

TG's Farmclub

Post by Billy McCoy »

Hey Michael,

Yes, that is true.....
Dirk Johnson and Steve Dixon both went with TG after the Hinson's.

I can't remember if Greg (Former Bass Player before Kerry Huckaba) went on to TG before Whisperin' Bill or not.

Kelly Back went on to do sessions and live work in Nashville....really good picker. I never really got to meet and hang with him.

I grew up listening to all these guys and YOU, Michael on several sessions throughout the years.

Made me want to play music like that....polished and melodic. :)

I was just in Nashville a couple of months ago with Janie Fricke (Grand Ole Opry)...went downtown afterwards and got to hang with Mike Johnson and my good friend Jeff King...got to see Brent Mason as well, but he wasn't very friendly. Maybe it was just me. :?

Anyway, what you up too these days Mike?

b
Studio and Stage

MSA Millennium 2 D10, Walker Stereo Steel, Stone Tree Custom Tele, Tom Anderson Hollow "T", Brian Moore I-Guitar, Bad Cat (Trem Cat 30w), Fender Evil Twin and POD HD 500
Michael Douchette

Billy, just doing sessions. I work with Kelly a lot. Great guy, great player. I see Jeff pretty frequently, as well. I do the occasional live gig, but not too many. When I do, I usually put it here in the Events forum.
Mikey D... H.S.P.

Charlie D Whitten

Hinsons Steel Guitarist

Post by Charlie D Whitten »

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe Jack Smith did some recordings with them in the late 70's. Jack is a great player, I enjoyed the playing he did with them.
Bob Wood

Post by Bob Wood »

I played guitar a couple of times for the Hinsons when they first started playing here in Central California. The Steel player that played on their first album "Here comes the Hinsons", was a gentleman from Santa Cruz, California and for the life of me, I can't remember his name. He was a tall, slender man, and wore glasses. (I use to play with him every year at Camp Meeting.) I believe that Jack may have played a track, or two on that album, and I believe Jack played on the next album. If I'm not mistaken..., I may have played guitar for a few tracks on it myself. I do remember being there. TRAC Records, with Stan Anderson, Fresno, California.

By the way, the guy with the full head of hair playing that white Fender Mustang..., is me.

Bob
Jeff Hogsten

Post by Jeff Hogsten »

after the lighthouse was cut on the first album they did in Madisonville Ky, I was there, they used Jack Smith on every album they did including that one. WHen they switched to Calvary records Sonny started playing along with Greg Galbrith on guitar for most of them. THe first steel player they had on the road was a guy named Gary Dee which was short for something. When he left and went with the Goodmans Ronnie Moore started playing.Then Darrell and then I think Scott SAnders came.But on the recordings it was Jack Smith. Jack always was and still is the finest back up player the best fills Ive ever heard on the slow and mid tempo stuff.I just lestened to a live dvd they did in dallas in 74 and his playing and sound was awsome. IT could have been done yesterday. If you can find that or one of their live albums the steel is great. Jack played on the first one and Lloyd Green on the second.
Last edited by Jeff Hogsten on 18 Nov 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Douchette

I forget now who asked me about Ronnie...

http://www.answers.com/topic/ronald-d-moore

Best I could do...

Ira Johnson and Darrel LaCroix are two names Kelly Back just gave me as former steel players...
Mikey D... H.S.P.

Jeff Hogsten

Post by Jeff Hogsten »

I forgot about Ira, I cant remember just where he fit in but I do remember him. That Mike Douchette is a great harmonica player but if you really want to hear some great harmonica playing you should hear a guy named Mike Davis, thats what a guy told me once at least.