What gives the Shobud it's sound?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Glen Derksen

What gives the Shobud it's sound?

Post by Glen Derksen »

Just wondering...and is it possible to make another brand sound like one?
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

there were times when i couldn't absolutely distinguish if licks i heard were buddy emmons or lloyd green...the steel doesn't have nearly as much to do with it as the talent!
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

I can definitely hear the difference in tone between Shobuds and other brands.
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

Agree Glen. Don't know how but there is a difference.
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

It really does start with the hands. But, the wood and pickups, quality of material in the changer all contribute, I believe.

Closest thing these days is Jeff and Duane's Show Pro. If Sho-Bud had stayed in business... that's what it would be.
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Michael how about the Jackson?????????????

ernie
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

If lloyd green would have recorded all his stuff on a plank of wood, that's what we would all buy.
Tone is all integral with one's other ingredients, you cant sound like your hero, by buying their guitar. Have you ever noticed how that works! :lol:
We all sound different on the same guitar, so what really is the SHO-BUD sound?
Buy a nice guitar, and spend the rest of your life playing it.
Just my 50 cents.
A.K.A Chappy.
Michael Douchette

Ernie, I've never seen one.
Mikey D... H.S.P.

Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Glen! Yes it is. Here's how you make one sound like a Sho-Bud. Put a Sho-Bud player behind your steel, don't tell anyone it's a different brand. Let the player adjust his/her amp the way they like hearing things, and Bingo! You just turned your steel into a Sho-Bud, Emmons, or any other brand. :D

With me behind it, it would surely sound like a G.E.S. :D

That's as close as anyone will ever get to the real truth behind all of the many, many, and more many different opinions on this subject. As well as, this steel, has the ultimate sound, and a whole lot of other nonsense.

They ALL sound only as good as the player sitting behind them. Players, will notice a big degree of difference, in association to the feel of each or how much easier one plays from another.

Maybe I should have said, with good pickups, and a well designed amp/speaker/s, it's possible to get any brand to sound (not to play as well as) but to sound like most any other brand. Close enough that I'll guarantee there isn't a person out there who could tell the difference, if they didn't know what guitar it was before hand.

Many say they can, but none have been able to do it yet, in a blind test.

Another thing that gets to me is when someone is selling one: "This one has tone to die for." Well, if that were the case, there would be all kinds of people fighting one another over who ended up with it. Or This one: "This one is the best sounding steel there might possibly ever be."

Using your own best judgement! Why on earth would someone sell something that they feel is the best in the world? And again, wouldn't everyone be offering all kinds of money to have that Ultimate ONE?

Simply my, "three dollar bill's worth."

PS: Other's may feel entirely different on the subject/s and that's their right, and it doesn't mean I'm right. It simply means it's my most honest opinion/s.

However, I've also learned, it's not always good to state your honest opinions, as it's not a very good way to gain friendship. Only knowing someone from what they write, can be very misleading as to what they are in person. And, even moreso, if they don't have anything on "Youtube" or some other area to allow others to first listen, and then draw their own conclusions as to his/her playing ability. :)
Last edited by Don Brown, Sr. on 28 Oct 2008 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I read a story about Maurice years ago, when he put 10 different guitars in the same room, and had the customer guesss which guitar was the MSA blindfolded, Something of that nature anyhow, and i beleive all through the same settings and amp etc, customer guessed wrong 9 times!
I have heard awsome sho-buds and awfull shobuds, and beleive me it wasent the Sho-buds!
So which sho-bud sound are we going on?
A.K.A Chappy.
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Glen -

You've already gotten some sage advice and information above but take what I have to say to heart. Bobbe Seymour has told me that there are no two Sho-Bud's alike. He has said that the differences between instruments was not always that subtle. So - does anyone dare to define a "good" Sho-Bud versus a "less-than-good" one? Like the man said above - sit yourself down at one, adjust the electronics until you're satisfied and you will have found a "good" one. If you then repeat the process with another "Bud" and you're equally satisfied, then you will have found ANOTHER "good" Sho-Bud. If not, then drop back ten yards and punt.

Confuffling, isn't it? (Thanks, Baz)
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Larry what usually makes any steel sound horrible, and another one a Wow!, is whether or not they're played in tune, (or if they're tuned to play in tune) as well as the person's playing ability.

I too have heard great sounds and horrible sounds, coming from players who simply didn't have their raises and/or lowers in tune. It makes for some very bad music period.

The number one thing that will kill a steels sound is it not being in tune. Or, any other instrument for that matter.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Hey Mikey...Surely you jest????Bill

http://www.jacksonsteelguitar.com/
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Tracy Sheehan

Something to think about.

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

If the band leader plays a rhythm guitar and a string gets out of tune,9 out of 10 times he will run the first string up no matter which string got out of tune,then tunes the rest sharp and leaves you souunding as if you are playing flat.And lord help you if you are playing a fiddle and the guitar player does that.The fiddle will sound out of tune and of course the fiddle player is playing off key.This is one of the reasons years ago playing steel in a band i never told any one i also played fiddle.
And while i am on the soap box i coulden't count the times i have been told (my instrument never gets out of tune.)Maybe so if they are using strings with no metal in them.Temp changes de tunes strings.
ANd while i am on the soap box, i was talking to a great well known local steel player and some how the discussiom came up about bending your picks.I told him i had been with a band and never could get my picks shaped right.I finally figured out why.The rhythm section was not together.He said boy am i glad to hear you say that as i had the same problem and also finally figured out it was the same thing.
So fellow steelers don't be too hard on your selves when things are not going right.It may not be you.
This is a for instance.I have told band leaders i could not play country licks when the drummer was playing wipe out and the bass man trying to play take Five in a country song.
You pay 40 or 80 thousand dollars for a car and i can pull a fifty cent wire off and it won't run.
Too many pickers now only listen to them selves and not the rest of the band.Thats what many pros call it a free for all.That must be the reason for so many $#@$^ monitors on a band stand now,Wall to wall noise.Tracy
End of rant.LOL
Last edited by Tracy Sheehan on 28 Oct 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Douchette

Bill, I meant in person.
Mikey D... H.S.P.

Ray Montee

I WISH we could get Lloyd Green to respond to this...

Post by Ray Montee »

Lloyd Green and Sarah Jory BOTH "sound different" than anyone else I've ever heard. I surely doubt that either of them would sound the same on a different guitar. It's NOT TONE I've referrd to before but an overall RICH SOUND QUALITY.

In my opinion IT IS NOT IN THE HANDS..........

THERE IS something going on here with Lloyd and Sarah that only they seem to know about. If it's note the hands and NOT the guitar, then what kind of black box or amp settings are being used to give them BOTH that most distinctive SOUND?

Come on LLOYD GREEN or Sarah Jory...... Please come forth and explain the mystery that we have all troubled over. Thank you!
Donny Hinson

Re: I WISH we could get Lloyd Green to respond to this...

Post by Donny Hinson »

Ray Montee wrote:Lloyd Green and Sarah Jory BOTH "sound different" than anyone else I've ever heard. I surely doubt that either of them would sound the same on a different guitar. It's NOT TONE I've referrd to before but an overall RICH SOUND QUALITY.

In my opinion IT IS NOT IN THE HANDS..........

THERE IS something going on here with Lloyd and Sarah that only they seem to know about. If it's note the hands and NOT the guitar, then what kind of black box or amp settings are being used to give them BOTH that most distinctive SOUND?
Well Ray, none of the times I have seen Sarah has she ever been playing a Sho~Bud. I would describe her sound as very "Emmons-ish". Lloyd, on the other hand, has a very round, full sound, and he sounded equally as good when he was playing a JCH (to me, anyway). Dickie Overby is another player that has tone to die for, and he's played an Emmons every time I've seen him.

I think great players most always get a great sound, and most can get it on just about any guitar.

However...

I can remember many years back when a friend played a tape for me, and I guessed (wrongly) that it was Reece playing his old MSA Classic. I was flabbergasted to discover that it was Emmons! The sound was just so characteristically MSA.

The album was "Minors Aloud".
Last edited by Donny Hinson on 28 Oct 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Ray, first time I seen Sarah play, I didn't even notice her sound or hear her music.. :oops:
Sonny Priddy

sho-bud

Post by Sonny Priddy »

I have owned and Played Differnt Brands Owned Some Sho-buds And Nothing Sounds like A Sho-Bud. But A Sho- Bud. SONNY.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

actually, i think zb's have a more distinctively brand oriented tone.
Ray Montee

The matter of SHO-BUD vs. the player

Post by Ray Montee »

I've been playing long enough to realize that the individual player influences the outcome of his/her "sound"...just as does the amp, all the plug-ins, the g'tar cords, the picks, strings, etc., etc.

BUT.......Lloyd GREEN has had this "SOUND" for many years. We're NOT talking TONE or embellishments.

It has to be something in the make-up of the g'tar itself. What kind does he now play? How long has he played this specific model? What year is it? What is the model description? What kind of wood?
What kind of necks? What amp does he usually use for recording? Or, does he prefer to go thro' the board?

Surely someone on here must possess the 'inside' knowledge. Lloyd Green could make it so much simpler if he'd just respond for us and make 7,000+ Forumites very happy. All this speculation means little other than representing a good bit of healthy social intercourse among friends. Could it be as simple as Lloyd's GREEN laquer finish?
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Sonny, you said that nothing sounds like a Sho-Bud to you, other than a Sho-Bud.

That can mean either good or bad. If you would, describe, exactly what it is that you hear to bring you to that conclusion.

I'm asking that, so possibly what you have to say will clarify the topic once and for all..
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

It's true Lloyd sounded much the same when playing JCH. And I'm talking tone, not style. But what amp and amp settings was he using?

As to Dicky Overbey, in one video clip I've seen, I remember thinking immediately and unequivocally, before I focused on the steel he was playing (I was interested first in what this Dicky Overbey fellow looked like--I think someone had commented about his appearance in the clip), "That's got to be an Emmons"--which it was.
Sonny Priddy

sho-bud

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Don To Me Sho-Bud Has A Great Sound Wish I Had Keep One That i Had. O Well. SONNY.
Ray Montee

SONNY, and I was depending on you...................

Post by Ray Montee »

SONNY, I was really looking forward to receiving your insightfulness to help me with this deep rooted dilema. This is not one for Dr. Laura but only a Sho-Bud owner/player, in my opinion.

The point is NOT "TONE"...............

It is "a most unique SOUND" equivilant to that RARE SOUND one discovers only once or twice in a life-time upon walking into a new 'playing place' for that one night stand.

It's as obvious as was the unique sound profered by the once proud Ryman Auditorium SOUND....back in the late 1940's early 1950's. You can still hear it if you manage to get ahold of some of the old Opry stage performances.

Emmons, Hughey nor any of the others have ever put forth THIS SOUND. LLOYD...........where are you.

Might it be the distinctive SOUND of wooden necks on a Sho-Bud body? Or, just the opposite? Or, is it all in that little thingie that Lloyd keeps leaning to his right and adjusting throughout his performances........like a ProFex thingie or something like it?

Somebody has got to know the answer. It can be elusive but not a life-time mystery.