Fender Twin 15 speaker change

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Butcher

Fender Twin 15 speaker change

Post by Joe Butcher »

I've heard of some guys changing the speaker on the new Twin custom 15'.

I really love this amp, but the highs are slightly icy.

Can anyone reccomend ??
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

I don't know the amp, but my favorite 15" speakers are:
Altec 418B, Electro-Voice EVM-15 and Peavey Black Widow 1501.
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

Joe, a more low budget route, would be to replace the aluminium dome with a paper one.
I did that to a D130 a few years ago and it took the edge off the highs.
Any competant speaker repair guy should be able to do it.
Or I agree with Chas the Altec 418B.
Lee
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

I have a Fender Twin 2x12 that I converted to a 1x15. I put in a Weber California 15". Awesome speaker.
Boo Bernstein

Post by Boo Bernstein »

I actually have a separate post about the Jensen C15K speaker -- a great tech friend of mine recommended this speaker for a Twin. No one has yet posted a response so there may not be a lot of experience with this speaker. Anyone who might have some knowledge about this model, please jump in!

Boo
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Hey Joe,

I put a Weber California in my Custom 15", but the amp itself was blowing fuses and acting up in other ways, so I brought it back to the store and traded it for a Steel King. I will have the speaker back shortly. If you want it, maybe I can ship it down to you? It won't handle the Steel King wattage, so it's useless to me now. It's probably seen 4 gigs tops. I've only had the amp a few months, and most of that time it's been in the shop.

Here is the link to the original sale:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ight=weber

I too found the original speaker harsh on the high end. I had the same speaker in my Session and it had ice picks there too. This Weber is nice and light as well, unlike the original which is a heavy beast. Send me an email if you'd like it, and we can work something out.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Joe Butcher

Post by Joe Butcher »

Thanks for all the replies guys!!!

I actually think I may have figgered ou the secret to this amp...it just takes a little dialing in. So far my steel and tele sound great thru it.

Chris, I was hoping to hear from you as I knew you had one of these. I'm gonna do a few gigs with this amp the way it is, and if I'm not digging it, I would probably be interested in your Weber.

Butcher
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I just bought back my old Twin from years back, and like it with the 2-12s. I've grown to like the 2-12 configuration for the Fender Twin as much as the 15. For the higher-wattage Session 400 and Steel King, however, the 15 seems almost necessary as a match for the amp.

I'm not in any rush to sell the speaker. You can drop me a line if you wish. As I've mentioned, the Weber did make the amp a lot more manageable weight-wise, which was a bonus to its great sound.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com