"He's Pretty Good"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

C. Christofferson,

Yes, to the fretboard inquiry. Thanks for the interesting input concerning the use of the capo. Where have you been hiding?
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 7 Oct 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

We spent a bundle to see one of his shows. We wound up on the grass. That's right! The kind you mow with a power mower.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 7 Oct 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

The appropriation of "Orange Blossom Special," a fiddle tune, now used by Bill Hankey as an exhibition of muscle memory, rather than as "making music," is similar to the numerous reversals, roundabouts, and hoop-de-doos that Mr. Hankey has taken this thread. Obviously oblivious to his OWN content, much less others', he continues---Believing, however vainly, that the boulder WILL reach the hilltop eventually. The caprices of Paganini, not to be confused with the pastas of Olive Garden, would be a much better example of one's speed, if so desired.
Segovia MANDATED that the capo be placed at the third fret when the guitarist played lute pieces, so that the guitar would be pitched in the lute range, not to be confused with the "loot range," into which Mr. Bush and his rich cronies have placed us.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Just testing you bill, to see if your still here! :lol:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Cancelled..
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 7 Oct 2008 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Cancelled..
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

After all this practice we get canceled. He's Pretty good
Larry Bressington

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, time for a Scotch!! :lol:
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Jim Sliff,

Once again you conversely attempt to disprove a valid point of view. I sat in at a bar, where two steel players have regular bookings about a month ago. Crystal chandeliers were hanging above the dancers, while the barmaid was seen fishing cherries out of the glass jar to add color to mixed drinks. I think that handling the coffers, currency and foodstuff, deserves some rearranging of approaches to more sanitary conditions. The other option is to let it all hang out, and say that anything goes.

cancelled (just in case you missed that one as well)

Study this brief snip:

Relevant:
Adjective
Directly related, connected, or pertinent to a topic.

Then re-read you first sentence and find somewhere in your non-cancelled posts the "point of view" you are talking about that's both "relevant" and "valid".

Then study this brief snip:

Irrelevant:
Adjective
not related, not applicable, unimportant, not connected

...and re-read the rest of your post, relevant only to someone in the local health department; also, not having found the noted "point of view", go ahead and file that first sentence under "irrelevant" as well.

Of course, if you did this already I guess you just ran out of time to cut-and-paste "cancelled" over the rest of your posts.

:P :lol: :roll:
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Jeepers,what the hell does all this crap about capos have have to do with steel players,there is eight pages of silly goobly gook here that is too silly even for the humor section.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Charles,

What in tarnation is with you? I would think that anyone taking up the steel guitar, more or less, would be too busy learning the art of playing,to get involved in derogatory input. I really would be interested in learning more about you. I would like to know such things as, do you have a favorite steel guitarist who you admire for his musical abilities? Other points of interest would be, who has helped you the most in deciding string gauges, different methods of tuning, cheap bars, best choices of bandleaders, etc. Just a paragraph or two from you, will allow me to learn more about what you're driving at.
Larry Bressington

Margeret Thatcher was a good old girl! :lol:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

C'mon Larry, "slow and steady", and "get a grip". Commence to pay tribute to the excellent contributions made by players in the U.K. I've never imagined that such great entertainment could be seen on You Tube. Let's not mess it up by making such comments.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Jeepers,what the hell does all this crap about capos have have to do with steel players
Nothing...which is why it's so incredibly funny that Bill hijacked his own thread and turned it into a "black hole" that sucks everyone straight to Harmony Central...

:lol:
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jim,

Some of the incidents of unusual events and circumstances have occurred throughout the steel guitar industry. It wouldn't be proper to dig around looking for things long forgotten. Some of the individuals are no longer with us who helped create this whole mirage, by painting pictures of such things as secret knee levers, secret licks,and just plain leading players off, down some dead end road. Let's try to digest these past unusual events, one at a time. We've covered the capo to MY satisfaction, now it's high time to justify a public announcement that whomever, has a SECRET tuning or KNEE LEVER. How does that weigh in on your scale of nondiscreet behaviorisms?
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 9 Oct 2008 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Bressington

I'm having so much fun hangin out here, just think how good i'd be if was practicing instead of being a 'Deadbeat. It's just a great place to hang and crack jokes, and have debates etc. I dont take any of it personally, just hangin brother!
Seriously though, i enjoy your freindship bill and all the good natured bantering that we have had.
By for now, and take care bill. :)
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

What have you to say about the 14 year old prodigy from Kansas? We don't need to type steel guitar in every sentence that we write; so obviously you must know who I'm referring to. We had a child prodigy here in Massachusetts about 30 years ago. Joe Casey knows better than any bandleader who I'm referring to. If you doubt my word, I've got the proof packed away in a storage room of him playing O.B.S. on cassette and VCR. It's without a doubt, the strongest piece of evidence that musical abilities are quite evident at an early age. It's our first clue, as to how our progression to acceptable levels of playing will follow in time. Do you agree, or disagree?
Larry Bressington

I agree totally bill, early age, dedication, family influence, Drive, and access to what one needs is just some of the ingredients required, Just my opinion;
P;S I dont know of the player that you are reffering to in Kansas. :?
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Down South, if a female is EXCEPTIONALLY beautiful, someone is gonna say, "She's AWFUL pretty!"
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

The 14 year old prodigy steel guitarist's name is AUSTIN STEWART. I wish he lived here in Massachusetts. We need him to shake up some of the on and off players in New England. He possesses the kind of energy that seems to infiltrate the will to try harder to reach his incredible level of playing. His right hand looks very familiar, when those picks start to click.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Stephen

No comment Stephen. I'm not stepping into that!
Larry Bressington

:lol: The boyz are tricking you bill!
I have been checking out the lad from Kansas, A young Randle currie in the making i'd say, bill. Awsome player! :)
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

When someone says that I'm pretty good, I always take it as a complement... Unless they follow it up with, "... For a #%$@..."

No, here's what's annoying: when someone learns that you play an instrument, without having heard you play, and asks, "Are you good?" What kind of a rude question is that? There's no way to answer it without looking bad in one way or another, and not answering makes you look like a jerk too. I just say, "Oh, I don't know..."

What's worse is if they ask, "Are you any good?"

No no, here's the worst: you are playing somewhere, and before you have a chance to take a good ride, someone asks, "So you're learning to play that thing, huh?"

See - that makes "he's pretty good" sound pretty good, doesn't it?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Duane,

I think one of the more rewarding things that could happen while your sitting in with a band, whether it be a fill or a permanent position, is to find a style to bring heads up. Discount comments made by habitual deadbeats. They will always be intermingled with appreciative attendees. It will not be necessary for someone to point them out for you. It's a sure bet that you'll be able to spot them from wherever you're positioned. The first thing you may hear is that comment about "He's Pretty Good". From there it gets worse, he may annoy others to the point of leaving during a performance. That is when a strict bandleader will take over. I've known a few in my past experiences with club work. Shielding the band from deadbeats creates a trust within its members, that serves to bring them together as a working band. Compliments for a great rendition played on the steel, is another story.
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Hmm... I can't say I've ever seen a chain of events play out quite like that.

All I can say is that in general, there are certain things that bug a musician. Then again, the musician has to remember that some of those bothersome comments were meant well, even if they are a little callous. The best thing to do is to resist the urge to give an angry response, because that would make you look bad no matter what their intent was.