Volume pedal: 500K vs. 10K for two different steel guitars

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Simenson

Volume pedal: 500K vs. 10K for two different steel guitars

Post by David Simenson »

I've decided to get a Goodrich volume pedal. I'm playing a GeorgeBoard S-8 console (LOVE IT!!!) and a Melobar Rattler. The GB has a Lindy Fralin single coil pickup, if I remember correctly. I'm putting a Seymour Duncan 59 model humbucker in the Melobar, because the Kent Armstrong sounds a little wimpy to me. I've read on this forum that someone said that 250K pots are a good match for single coil pickups, and that 500K pots are a good match for humbuckers. Also, I've read that the Goodrich 10K pedals have less of a problem with scratchy pots. Can someone recommend which Goodrich pedal would be best for these steel guitars? Or would they both work equally well?

I'm playing classic and new country, using a Burden Bullet bar and a Tribo-tone bar. Thanks for this great website! I've learned a lot from you all.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

David,
I had a Goodrich H10K pedal which I used for several years and 100's of gigs before it developed a problem. It was highly reliable, never did develop any "scratchy" sound, and required no external power.
I used it with two different guitars, one with a Lawrence XR-16 humbucker, one with a Zum single coil, and it sounded good with both units.
I am now using a Hilton, which is a great pedal, but requires external power. So... now carrying a small power supply and an extra extension cord. I would buy another Goodrich H10K without hesitation.
Larry J.