Perfect Touch Picks

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tim Walker

Perfect Touch Picks

Post by Tim Walker »

Has anyone tried them ? I just started using Nationals after listening to Jeff Newmans advice. I like the tone but they seem a little narrow compared to the rounder Dunlops and I keep snagging the corner of my finger on the string.
Maybe the perfect touch picks are the answer ?????
Andy Hinton

perfect touch picks

Post by Andy Hinton »

Tim; If you don't get any more satisfactory posts, you might email Mike Perlowin in L A. He just told me he is trying them out now. Andy Hinton
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

I got a set about 4-6 weeks ago, and I can't say enough good things about them!!! Yes they are a little pricey, but I love 'em. And you could not find a better person to deal with than Rusty Thornhill!! The first set he sent me was medium sized, and I tried them for a few days and wasn't real sure they were gonna work out. I called Rusty and he sent me another set of large size, telling me to try both sets and send back to him the ones that don't fit. No other questions, deposits, etc. A very trusting and respectable guy!! He also gives you at least 45 days to decide whether you want to keep them or not, and he'll take them back with no strings attached and refund your money. Once I got the large size set, they fit much better! I returned the mediums and have been very happy with the large size set. The finger picks felt like they were just an extension of my fingers, as opposed to the other finger picks I had tried. AND, they were NOT uncomfortable. The thumb pick took a little getting used to, but now I wouldn't want anything else. The thumb pick was very confortable from the start, but the "feel" was different than other thumb picks. I would highly recommend them!!! I was not a user of finger pick until 2-3 months ago, and I'm very happy with them. All the other picks I tried were very uncomfortable compared to these. You won't regret getting a set of them! I hope that helped.

-Chuck Snider
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Tim Walker

Post by Tim Walker »

Thanks Chuck !
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

Chuck said, "I got a set about 4-6 weeks ago, and I can't say enough good things about them!!! Yes they are a little pricey, but I love 'em. And you could not find a better person to deal with than Rusty Thornhill!!"

That's been my experience also.

Jim
Tim Walker

Post by Tim Walker »

thanks guys - did you get round or flat front ? did you get the thumb pick too ?
thanks
Steve Alcott

Post by Steve Alcott »

I like mine-they're the rounded model. I use a regular thumbpick, though.
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

I wasn't sure when I was ordering the picks whether to get the rounded or the flat. But from talking to Rusty, he said the flat ones were slightly longer than the rounded ones. So, I opted for the flat ones. And I did also get the thumb pick along with the finger picks. Maybe some day I'll get a set of the rounded ones to try, but I'm very happy with the flat ones.

-Chuck Snider
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
Carl Williams

Perfect Touch--Mighty Close to It!

Post by Carl Williams »

Tim,
I got a set from Rusty at the Dallas show this past March and after wearing both Nationals & Dunlops for 30+ years, I'm a convert to this "new" style of pick...you can also get Rusty's newly designed thumbpick as well...It's just hard to leave behind my old trusty Blue Herco thumbpick...maybe one day I'll change but not now...The picks cost a little more but how important is it to have not only "good" picks but comfortable picks as well...Rusty is a fine gentleman on top of that...Maybe you could find someone close who has his picks and try them...BTW they do stay on...have yet to have one fall off...Carl
P.S. My "Almost Perfect Touch" subject line is referring to my touch...not even close to excellent let alone Perfect! :)
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

Mine are flat. No thumb pick.

I am going to ride the MC over to Crossville one of these days, get a second pair and look at the thumb pick.

Jim
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

a freind gave me a set (fingers only) about a year and a half ago - i absolutely love them - they are so comforatble and i think they sound really good - i bought another set from fear of losing one and having to go back to the nationals or dunlops
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

Would someone please post a picture so we know what you are talking about?
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

Here is a link to Rusty's website which has pictures.

http://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/index.htm
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Once you try them most player will not go back, I was the first in Europe to try them, what a change in my playing, great for pick blocking and very comfortable..
Craig A Davidson

Perfect Touch?

Post by Craig A Davidson »

For the other side of the coin.....my girlfriend bought me a set in St. Louis and they are the most awkward and unhandy as heck picks I have ever tried. They don't stay in one place on my fingers and they get caught in my strings. I will take my Herco and my Jeff Newman picks any day over these. Yes they are also very pricey but what do you expect? They are for a steel guitar.
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

Great picks and Rusty is the best at servicing his customers.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Craig A Davidson

You guys that love them must know something I don't. I have tried tightening them and everything. They just don't stay put. As far as the thumbpick goes, it feels like I have a spoon on my thumb.
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Craig, you may have them too big, call Rusty and he will sort you out. I first tried the small ones and could not get on with them , Rusty sent me a larger size and bingo they were fine.
As for falling off , mine are loose but they stay put.
You are suppose to wear them loose, they have some scratchings inside the picks to help them stay put.
As for the thumb pick, I cannot get on with it, but I have met a few players who swear by them, again I would say that you try another size for the finger picks, once you have got them to work for you they are relly great picks..
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

Craig I know what you mean about the thumb pick. It takes some getting use to. I have an odd angle due to an injury to my thumb so I use a Zookie 20 or 30. Anyone having problems with pick falling off please get this Rusty he will figure this out and fix it if possible.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

I love them and on second pair. Why? because the fingerpicks are very soft and if you accidently step on them, they crush down easily and are never the same. Pretty pricey loss but I like them so much I replaced them.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have some arthritis in my fingers and just couldn't get them to work for me.
They fit too far up on my fingers to be comfortable. :(
Craig A Davidson

Well they cost too much not to use them so I guess I will just fight them and if they win they will just go in the drawer that has all the other steel guitar fad stuff. Maybe it is because they were fitted on someone else in St. Louis. Susie just came home with them and said EVERYBODY that plays was using them so she bought me a set. She does love me you know :\
Jim Means

Post by Jim Means »

Craig,
My experience with them has been the same as you. They just will not stay put and were catching on the strings. I just finally gave up and went back to my old picks. I don't think it's because yours were not fitted personally, because mine were at Dallas this year. I think the fact that they fit tight high up on your finger gives them more room to move around down on the end, if that makes any sense. The picks are very comfortable and I sure am open to suggestions to make them work. However, I don't know if I could ever get the thumb pick to work for me though. It really feels awkward.

Jim in Missouri
Musicians have to play.....They really have no choice
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Rusty is a great guy, and has a unique product, but like a couple of others here, they just weren't for me. Rusty did the fitting while I was at his booth and they really did feel great. I didn't notice any movement, but the way the blade of the pick is shaped (and my angle of attack, palm blocker), I struggled a bit catching the strings with my fingers rather than the pick. My Dunlops with a wider blade just suit me better. It would be a totally different issue if I was a pick blocker. Maybe I'll get there one of these days!
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

A couple of thoughts for you two that have tried the picks but seem to have trouble with them staying on. If you have not actually talked to Rusty about them, I really feel it would be worth calling him. For the life of me, I've never bought anything from a merchant so eager to satisfy his customers. It could be that something is not quite right with the fit, and he could tell you an adjustment to make so they would work. Jim, in regards to the thumb pick, when I tried it, it did feel very different than how the usual thumbpick felt. However, once I got the larger size and decided to give it a few days of usage, it now feels like I could use no other. It really does sound to me like something is not quite right with your fit, and based on my experience with Rusty, he could not be any more accomodating and showing genuine desire to satisfy each and every one of his customers.

Not trying to talk you into using them, but only pointing out that Rusty will try to make you happy if you give him a fair shake. And, from my experience that can be either allowing you other sizes to try out, or refunding your money if he can't make them work for you.

-Chuck Snider