Friendly suggestion for David Hartley

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Dave has introduced himself and proven to
be one of a small group of SUPER players ,
right up there with the best of them ! he is
setting a standard for us to reach , not the other way around .

My opinion
Hick
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

Thanks Chuck, you said it much better than I did and I agree with you too. It can be as subtle as three fewer notes or one extra note. A melody needs a little seductiveness here and there.

If David Hartley was a baseball pitcher I'd say to him, "Your fast ball and your slider are tremendous, I can't wait to see your curve ball and your change up".
kyle reid

Damn! I guess it can get better!

Post by kyle reid »

Larry S. & Don M. Please post a few U-Tubes of your playing so we can all " Get It?" I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to hear something that has to be better than Davids Playing! I can't wait to hear your awesome playing! kr
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Interesting thread. I dont think the original poster ment anything bad. I will be very interested to see Davids reply.
I bet it will be well crafted just like his playing! :)
Twang to the bone!
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Larry R. >east<
I'm sure you are correct , but why not ask Jimbeaux why he plays old
60's ? or Mr. Emmens should play Rap ? (yuk) or Mike , Why Spanish Steel ?
It would seem to me with Dave's ability , you could put him in a Raga
band , and in a few minutes he would have it figured out .

I don't think he need respond to such a poser a playing different notes .

He is just flat out unique and has captured the Steel worlds attention,
a rising star of Steel - if you will . I'm glad Dave promoted himself on
You-tube like he has , we would have never known of him otherwise .

IMO
Hick
Edit
Sorry Larry R
I had you mixed up with that other Larry S >west <
Where is he anyway ?
Last edited by Bob Hickish on 27 Sep 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Nicklas

Post by Rick Nicklas »

The first time I heard David on here I started to laugh from being so surprised and entertained. I told my wife to come and look at this guy who sounded like Lloyd Green and looked like Colin Mockery (Who's Line Is It Anyway). He kept putting up posts that was showing us his straight-to-the-heart style. Most of my life I have struggled to get melodies as close to the songs as possible and wound up just improvising something close. To me, David is a Master at this and he puts in so many phrases and passing notes that sew it all together like I've never heard done before. He immediately became one of my hero's of the steel.

He's just one of those guys that can give his interpretation of any song and blow me away (like Randy Beavers). :D
Ken Adkins

Post by Ken Adkins »

I was fortunate enough to meet David and hear him play at the Dallas show. In my opinon he stole the Fri show. Made my trip to Dallas well worth while. He was also very cool in what I would call a stressful time, getting up in front of all those great players.
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

OP sounds more like a request than a criticism to me. I would also like to hear what someone as good as Mr Hartley can do outside of the box,,the same way I like to see good pilots do loops. I dont think anyone is criticizing his fine playing at all,,and if anything I read it as a compliment. I dont think anyone was saying :you "need" to start playing like this or that...just more like "wouldnt it be cool if he did this or that"
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Keith White

A reply to the suggestion for dave hartley

Post by Keith White »

Hi to all.Dave has been my friend and teacher for the last five years,he has shown me many things and different ways of playing the steel including changing the tone in ways you wouldnt know were possable.All the songs he has done for me have in most cases have to be made from scratch, as now im finding my way round this great instrument some of the stuff i do hasnt been steeled as im trying not to replicate the songs others have done.My point is he can in my oppinion do rock, funk whatever.But country is the best sound its pleasing to here and great entertainment.In the words of a U.S.serviceman i met years ago :if its not broke it dont need fixin: Regards Keith White UK.
Sho-Bud 'LDG', Sho-Bud 'The Professional', Rains SD10, Fessenden D10, Hilton Pedal, Peavey Session 500, Peavey 112, Lots of PV PA, And of course, the BJS Bar (for the best tone)! Love all Steel Guitars!
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I was having a great day today. Had lunch with our daughter, her husband, then took in a movie; just a rare day when everything was going outstanding, then I read this post. IMO, David is the best to come along in a long, long time and I hope that he doesn't change a thing. I wish that I had been taking lessons from David for five years. I haven't been so excited since the time I met Jay Dee Maness back in the 60s. I listen to David's music every morning; I live for it just the way he plays and I don't want him to change anything. There's no doubt in my mind that David can play anything he wants second to none, IMO. I've heard the "Busboys" music, if anyone likes that type of music, IMO, they're real good, but I want David to keep doing what he's doing and sharing his talent with us. I live to get his tab as soon as he puts any out and I'll continue to do so. I would like to see anyone play if they think they can come close to this great musician.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Dang, you guys act like you own him! If he wants to do a request for someone then thats his choice. David here's a few requests from me!
1. Ode to Billie Joe using a "Fuzz" or "Distortion"
2. Lonely, onrey & mean using a "Phase Shifter"
3. Games people play using a "Sitar Bar"
4. Old Rugged Cross using a "Chorus"
5. Mansion on the hill using an "E-Bow"
6. Song of your choice using an "Octaver"

How many of you besides me and Rick Nicklas have bought his CD's? >:-)
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

...Please post a few U-Tubes of your playing so we can all " Get It?" I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to hear something that has to be better than Davids Playing! I can't wait to hear your awesome playing!
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the complainers should post some audio clips of their playing here to demonstrate for us what is "mising" from David's playing.
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 27 Sep 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernie Gonyea

Dave Hartley- Man Of The Hour

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :lol: :roll:

Chuck: I honestly believe that our buddy, Dave , is probably the most relaxed steel Picker on this planet. Just watch any of his videos and see for yourself how happy and relaxed this man is, when performing on his ' Rains ". He is certaining putting his heart and Soul into every tune he plays for us.His sound is making everyone listening so Happy and we are having " FUN " because Dave is playing real Music. If it's stanky [ STINKY ] or Raunchy playin you want to hear, go somewhere else other than the Forum.. You, too, Don..Bernie :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Moon in Alaska

Post by Moon in Alaska »

Hang in there, Dave. I think you are wonderful !!!
I am 77 years old, have played steel for 60 years.At least, I may not be an expert, but I DO KNOW good steel playing !!!! :D
Please continue posting those tubes for us to enjoy...
Moon
<<Moon>>
==Carter S-10==
1962 Fender 400
== Evans FET 500 Custom LV ==

http://www.geocities.com/moon9999610/alaska.html
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Don! How many videos do you have on youtube????????????????????????
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

really think you guys are reading more into this than was meant...re-read post number one
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Steve said=
really think you guys are reading more into this than was meant...re-read post number one
Maybe YOU need to re-read what Larry said.
Larry Scott wrote:First off I want to say I wish I had the knowledge that David has. BUT.........

I have a taste for styles that I will never be able to duplicate.......With that said....

He sounds way too "WHITE" ... No soul there !!

Don't want to piss others off, but my ear is
better than my right or left hand :oops:
Comeau SD10 4x5, Comeau S10 3x5, Peavey Session 500,Fender Telecaster,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Precision,1978 Ovation Viper electric. Alvarez 4 strings Violin electric.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

ray qualls wrote:
How many of you besides me and Rick Nicklas have bought his CD's? >:-)
I have both of his Cd's. As a matter of fact, I have worn out both of his Cd's. (kidding) they get played a lot is what I'm saying.

I think we should all listen to a bit of experience here: Moon in Alaska:
I am 77 years old, have played steel for 60 years.At least, I may not be an expert, but I DO KNOW good steel playing !!!!

That really says it all, folks.

People who suggest that David get more 'soul or funk', should in the same breath suggest that Lloyd Green get more jazz or that Buddy Emmons get more Rock

Like Green and Emmons, Hartley has established himself as a player with his own unique style. Not much sense in suggesting changes to that style. It just won't fly.

Come on you guys...It's not so bad that a limey shows y'all a thing or two...
Roger Shackelton

Stating One's Opinion Ain't Bad!

Post by Roger Shackelton »

I feel like I know where Don & Scott are coming from and they are only using their freedom of speech, which we all have. Correct-O-Mundo? 8)

Roger
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Roger, nothing bad at all about stating one's opinion.
Like we all have done in this thread. Not one thing wrong about that.
b0b

Post by b0b »

My opinion is that everyone should try to be true to whatever music is in their heart.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Amen, b0b.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I'll add to the Amen chorus, b0b.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

He sounds way to white??? And what the hell is wrong with sounding way to white?? I think it is great that an Englishman from across the pond has that much country soul and that many devoted die hard country fans here in the good ole US of A!!
Change? Nah, no way, keep it country brother, keep it country.
Sounds way to white..........pardon me while I go puke!! :whoa:

Wally
Jani Peter Sandvik

Post by Jani Peter Sandvik »