For Norm Hamlet

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brett Day

For Norm Hamlet

Post by Brett Day »

Hello, Norm, I still love my GFI. Congratulations on the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame induction. I would love to play for you.

Brett

Here's a picture of my guitar.
norm hamlet

For Brett

Post by norm hamlet »

Hello Brett,
Thanks for the congratulations on getting inducted in the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame, I am still enjoying playing my GFI like you do.
I will enjoy hearing you play your Steel, I hope we can get together sometime.
Your Friend,
Norm
Leland Darst

Post by Leland Darst »

Hey Norm! , congrats on being inducted into the hall of fame. Ive always been a fan of yours. (by the way im still pickin my ole emmons), But im starting to look for a new steel. I hope you got my e-mail!.
Take care!
Leland
Bernie Gonyea

The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :lol: :roll:

Hi Norm from up-state New York; May I extend my warmest " Congratulations " on being inducted into this out-standing organization of the greatest steel Guitarists in the world. It's an honor just to be nominated, say nothing of actually becoming a member. I am one of your many fans from long ago; you are the main reason that I was so fond of listening to The Hag. He was a fine writer of great songs, but he also had one of the greatest steel men backing him up. We forum members are very proud of you, Norm. You're the best..Bernie
Now I see why Brett chose to buy a " GFI " guitar.
:lol: :whoa: :) :roll:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Since Norm and I are from the same neck of the woods, it was my honor to pick a little with him many sunsets ago. When the new Texas Troubadors instrumental album cam out in about '62 or so with the newly installed steeler, Buddy Charlton,Norm called me to come over and give it a listen. It's no surprise that his mark has been made on the steel community as well as the Country field. In other words, "Local talent makes good." Now, that's news.
Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

Congratulations, Mr. Hamlet! Until your induction this year, I hadn't realized that you weren't in already! One assumes a legendary player like you is already in this prestigious institution.

Until you came along, the modern sound started by Bud Isaacs was primarily a Nashville thing. This is a well deserved honor to one of the first musicians to play E9 pedal steel on the west coast! I have the Farmer Boys records from the mid '50s to prove it, too! :)

Thank you for your key landmark efforts in establishing what we know as the Bakersfield sound.

Your fan,
Chris Scruggs
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i've opened for merle several times in different bands...i always remember starting to tune up on stage at konocti harbor by clear lake, ca. norm came up and started talking to me for about 20 minutes and i don't think i ever got around to tuning up. he's a very nice man...and that's when i learned that tuning isn't really necessary...especially if something more important is going on!
GaryHoetker

Post by GaryHoetker »

Norm-

Sincere congratulations to a class act from a native son. It's long overdue.

After Merle and The Strangers last appearance at the Crystal Palace, we had a nice visit. You said how much fun you have because Merle is so spontaneous and unpredictable on stage.

You are truly one of the last connections to the greatest sound (West Coast Country) in country music history with its major emphasis on the pedal steel.

Hope to see you again soon and thanks for bringing alot of joy to many, many lives.

Gary
Damir Besic

Re: For Brett

Post by Damir Besic »

norm hamlet wrote:Hello Brett,
Thanks for the congratulations on getting inducted in the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame, I am still enjoying playing my GFI like you do.
I will enjoy hearing you play your Steel, I hope we can get together sometime.
Your Friend,
Norm
now, if this few words don`t tell what a gentleman this man is, I don`t know what would.....

Db
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Congratulations, Well deserved honor bestowed upon you Norm...let me know when you will be in the Dallas
/ Ft Worth area....say Hi to Biff
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

Congratulations Norm!Although we have never met,I
have been a big fan of yours for many years.I saw
you play on two occasions at Myrtle Beach with Merle.
I loved your work on the recording live at Billy Bob's.You are such a tasteful player.We have a mutual
friend from eastern N.C. in Chris Malpass and I too
am a GFI player.
Hope to meet you someday.
Sincerely,Tim