Fender Pedal 400 Pedal Steel Guitar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Kinner

Fender Pedal 400 Pedal Steel Guitar

Post by Larry Kinner »

There's nothing in it for me, but there is a clean looking Fender 400 for sale on www.southeasttexas.com. I haven't seen it listed on the forum that I know of.
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

Here it is

To expensive if you'd ask me.Looks brand new and never used.Collectors guitar.

Ron
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Well, at least it's not a heavily beat, refinished, and modified one for $1800 or 1900. :twisted:

Perhaps a little on the high-end of the typical scale, but it does have 6 pedals and looks to be in very nice shape. That case is gorgeous.
Larry Kinner

Post by Larry Kinner »

If I wasn't guitar poor I might offer him a little less just because of the shape it's in.
Terje Brattsveen

Post by Terje Brattsveen »

I bought my Fender 400 ( also 6 pedals) at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville in January. It was also in very good shape, but has a black case with orange interior. It came with an Ernie Ball volume pedal, all for $ 1000. We all know that George can be a little on the high end, but the "collectors condition" it was in made it worth it for me. The steel in Texas looks GREAT! I LOVE MINE!
Terje.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

That price really isn't bad for a circa 64-65 mint example with some "extras". If it were local, I'd be tempted! Rarely do you find one where even the case is in that good a condition.
Daniel J. Cormier

Fender Manina

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

I know this guitar as well as the owner. I set the pedals up for Mr. Gene a couple months ago. If you think the pics look great you really need to see and play it in person. Has that pure Mooney tone and play smooth as glass. the case is the best original tweed case I've seen in 10 years of dealing and repairing steel guitars.
Gene is selling it to buy a modern d-8 or S-10. He's a super nice guy to deal with.
Daniel J. Cormier
Rittenberry with Tone to the bone,profex or tubefex and what ever amp, hilton pedal, BJS bars. Email at kajunsteelman@yahoo.com.
Leah Petro

fender 2000

Post by Leah Petro »

i have the sunburst fender 2000 with ten pedals no knee levers... anyone have any idea what this might be worth??? it's in good condition. i am considering selling it to buy a more "learnable" pedal steel. any input would be appreciated. thanks :D
Larry Kinner

Post by Larry Kinner »

Daniel, when I saw it thats the reason I put it on the forum kind of unofficially. Try to help the guy out. I don't know Gene. But I know there aren't many steels and no dealers in this area. By the way thanks for the setup on my Marrs. I did back off on the 2nd string though.
Alvin Blaine

Re: Fender Manina

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Daniel J. Cormier wrote:I know this guitar as well as the owner. I set the pedals up for Mr. Gene a couple months ago. If you think the pics look great you really need to see and play it in person. Has that pure Mooney tone and play smooth as glass. the case is the best original tweed case I've seen in 10 years of dealing and repairing steel guitars.

That's not a "tweed" case, it's an extremely rare blonde tolex case. They only made a few of those before going with the black tolex. I know a bass player that paid $1500 for a blonde tolex Fender case for his '63 P-Bass. That's $1500 just for a case!

This steel is a deal, with the shape it's in and all the extras, I wish I had the $$ for it right now.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Are you sure it's blond and not the lighter shade of brown tolex? Those are pretty common.

It does look very clean. As always with Fenders, the issue is finding replacement or additional parts; short scale parts are not very common, with far more long-scale units having been made.

I agree, though - this is a nice "collector". I'd keep it as-is with no mods; f someone is looking for a player they can be found for quite a bit less.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

I didnt realize more long scales were made than short. I seem to see more short scales for sale than long...I wonder why that is?

Are all the long scales cream or did they make any sunburst ones?
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Jim Sliff wrote:Are you sure it's blond and not the lighter shade of brown tolex? Those are pretty common.

It does look very clean. As always with Fenders, the issue is finding replacement or additional parts; short scale parts are not very common, with far more long-scale units having been made.

I agree, though - this is a nice "collector". I'd keep it as-is with no mods; f someone is looking for a player they can be found for quite a bit less.
I don't know for sure, Jim, but that looks like a blonde tolex and black leather "tuxedo" case.
I've never seen a Fender Steel case in that color, but have seen two Fender P-bass and a strat case with that color tolex.
The brown ones had a dark brown leather contrasting material on the ends and a leather handle, and the lighter brown ones are more pinkish.
The one in the picture above looks like it has white tolex with black contrasting leather on the end and a black leather handle.
It's a beautiful case and steel any ways.

Here is a picture of a Blonde & Black Fender reissue case for the '63 Strat reissue. They made the reissue one a few years ago.

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Alvin, looking more closely at this pic in Photoshop I think you are right - it's blond and very unusual. Some collector will probably want to snap it up.

Ben, it seems there's been a run on short scales lately, but if you could go back and check eBay ads for a few years youd find many more long scales. Fender, although their records are weak, has confirmed the short scales were NOT huge sellers and they moved many more long scale units, even though they were made for a shorter period of time.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Daniel J. Cormier

I think She's sold

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

I spoke To Gene and he told me that He has this guitar sold to a guy up in Canada.
Daniel J. Cormier
Rittenberry with Tone to the bone,profex or tubefex and what ever amp, hilton pedal, BJS bars. Email at kajunsteelman@yahoo.com.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Jim-as always, thanks for the info! Hope you are well.
-Ben
Jon Zimmerman

Canadian Buyer..

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

I'm not surprised..? :o ? Not very often do setups this squeeky clean pop-up here OR in Canada.