Looking for Nashville number system chart software

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wayne Franco

Looking for Nashville number system chart software

Post by Wayne Franco »

Does anyone know of Chart software programs that would be used specifically for charts in a individual or band situation. The problem with band in a box is you have to cut and past if you print out songs that change key. A pain. I know there is software out there that will do a professional job.Is there a studio standard software used? I just don't know what it is. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne Franco
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Wayne,
I usually edit two different files of the same song in my BB set on Nashville notation, one in the key that was modulated to, and put them together so they will reflect the key change and have the right numbers. It's still cut and paste, but that's as close as I can come with BB. Looks like the best I can do is agree with you. I'd like to see that software to.
Wayne Franco

I guess not very many people have a need for such things

Post by Wayne Franco »

:whoa:
Rob Haines

get Number Chart Pro ©

Post by Rob Haines »

Hey Wayne,

Look at my software, Number Chart Pro ©. It's the only commercially available for creating Nashville number Charts on a computer:
www.robhainesstudio.com/numchart

Rob
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Hey Wayne, although I do not have biab, I'd check with Big Jim Baron-he may be able to help.
Wayne Franco

Thanks for the help

Post by Wayne Franco »

I will go check out your web site rob. I've had some computer difficulties and haven't been able to get on.

Hi Duane, hope you're doing well my friend. I finally got to play a push/pull. Tom Palmers 1980 something. Wow, it certainly doesn't work like anything I've ever played. Bet it would take some serious getting use to for me.

Wayne
Wayne Franco

Rob

Post by Wayne Franco »

That is exactly what I envisioned for my needs. Quick question. In a song with numerious key changes, example Misty. First bar Eb, next bar 2-57=1 in Ab back to 4 measures of Eb...etc. For practice purposes I want to know the key center so I can improvise using the right numbers in relationship to the key center. I assum I would have to interpet the key centers and type it into the program. Is there a place where it would print out above a set of numbers what key center you would be in? Thanks. believe I will be ordering that program from you.

Wayne
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

Hi Wayne,
I'm not exactly what you mean or how that would look. But the software basically uses a regular text font with the characters that are in the two Nashville fonts. Most people use a word processor like MS word, or any such program. So you have a lot of flexability as to wht you want to incorporate into the chart and how it will look. Every one has their own style and this works well with the way you can create charts. Also, you can use the graphics features of MS Word to enhance the chart. Did you check out the sample charts?
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

Wayne,
After reading what you wrote again, yes would have a numbers of ways of doing this, indicating a key change. Usually you would use the text font to indicate instructions such as "Change key to Ab", etc. (the "Ab" would be written using the Nashville font) And there is a lot of felxability on where you would put this, how large the font, and exactly what you would write and how it would look.
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Wayne,

If I understand your question about key changes when using number charts, here's the way I handle it.

Above the first measure in the new key (say, from a given key to Eb) I print "Modulate to Eb".

If I actually have an interlude that modulates from one key to another, (say, C to Eb) I write the interlude using numbers related to the old key, then put the phrase "Modulate to Eb" over the first measure of the new key. From that point on, the numbers are with respect to the new key.

Probably a thousand ways to do it. When I come up with a new way to show something in number charts, I try to find someone who has to READ number charts a lot, and ask him or her their opinion.

Also, check your email.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Wayne. I've downloaded the chords right from my BB with Nashville notation selected, a blues tune and as you can see it mods from the 1 chord to 4m and back again to the 1. Here is a copy. Note the relation to the original key does not change.
Last edited by Bo Legg on 15 Aug 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Roy Ayres wrote:...Above the first measure in the new key (say, from a given key to Eb) I print "Modulate to Eb".....
...or, to simplify having to do any mental exercises while you're playing, you could write "Modulate up 3".
Wayne Franco

I see what it is doing Bo

Post by Wayne Franco »

My problem with the number system in BIAB is the numbers are all in relation to the origional key the song is in. I have the newest version of the program. I called them thinking it must have an easy way to do this,BIAB said there was no such feature. Since I gave misty as an example I will continue with that example as it shows when you put it in Nasville number system. 1Maj7 5m7 19 46 are the first four chords of the song. So when I go to the first chord do I treat it as a 5 minor? no. I treat it as a 2m7 in which case I can for instance I can go to a 2m7 by playing a diminished chord a half step below that 2m7 chord. I'm just saying what chord it is in relation to that key center makes a difference on how I might get there. I know a player can do anything he wants if it sounds good to him, but it is hard to stick to the rules without knowing the relationship of the chords. Its different if before the key change there are some passing chords. I believe you treat them as if they were in the same key before the change. Ultimately I think it would be hard for software to interpret this, but I hope BIAB's future upgrades address this.

Thanks Roy for the e mail on your charting method. MS Word seems to be a good platform for doing chord charts. I just thought there must be a program that has convenient ways built in to put notes for back up and other stuff relevant to band arrangements. Plus a nice readable practice chart. This fellow that has this software above seems like a good way to go. According to his web site he uses fonts that are added to MS Word.
Wayne Franco

I went ahead and ordered the software

Post by Wayne Franco »

After looking at the charts they really look good. I think this will work just fine.
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

Thanks for ordering Number Chart Pro©. I emailed it to you, you should have it now.
BTW, it took me about 2 seconds to whip this up:
Wayne Franco

Thanks Rob

Post by Wayne Franco »

That was exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to use it.

Wayne