How much have You spent?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Murdoch

How much have You spent?

Post by Billy Murdoch »

I have nothing better to do so I worked out how much I had spent on Guitars(steels and six stringers) amps and effect units/pedals over the years and I averaged it out to be around $2200 a year.

How about You?

Billy
P.S I have been buying for arount 20 years.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Interesting post, I have been buying steels for 40 years. In the early days my parents and sister's would help out cause I was too young to have alot of money. But after a thinking about this and a quick add up, approximately $400 per year over 40 years. That doesnt sound like too much, but over a period of 40 years I guess it adds up. I've still got all the non pedal steels, pedal steels, and amps, except for 2 pedal steels, which I sold to buy another steel.
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

I plead the 5th. If Karen ever found out the real numbers. I be up that creek without anything. Be careful verrrryyyy verrry careful.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Ron Whitfield

How much have I spent?

Post by Ron Whitfield »

More than I had!
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

In 50 years? Much too difficult to quantify. It would be interesting to try however. The problem is remembering all the gear that I've had.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Gosh, sorry to spoil the party. But I never own more than two guitars at a time, one electric and one acoustic. I have actually made a profit on some of my turnovers. No more than a couple of hundred a year over the last five years for me (not counting the first year). And now that I've settled into my guitars I probably won't spend any for a few years. :D Back in my first incarnation back in the late '70's to mid '80's I spent even less. I had a Dobro 60 DS and I can't remember the name of the pedal guitar. Broke even on the pedal. I can't remember what happened to the Dobro.
Amor vincit omnia
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

I be up that creek....
John C., I have a position available up my creek, Boatswain's Mate, when your needs arise.
gary L
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

Been playing professionally for over 40 years and have done it for a living at times so you can't ever spend that much or you'd be short on your rent money. These days I play weekends either on drums or pedal steel and about all I buy is either strings or sticks. I do some trading from time to time but I always make more than I spend.
Delvin Morgan

Post by Delvin Morgan »

Way to much, but not as much as on my other hobby......nature photography. Now thats one where the sky is the limit and then some.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

bout the same as duane...$300-$400/year if you stretch it over 40 years of picking. i buy something i like and need and then wear it out!!
no fad-induced buying to keep up with the jones'...
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Nowhere near as much as I've spent on my durn teeth!
Wayne Morton

Post by Wayne Morton »

I've been playing for 35 years. After 6 guitars & 25 different amps, sorry my old adding machine wont go that high. :lol: Wayne
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I really do not want to know, and sure don't want Nan to know. Along with the Photo doings it kept some one happy. She did not do so bad this year buying gear for her kitchen, she has everything you could want for her Kit. also an icemake 65 pounds a day. A freezer 2 bigest refrigarators you can buy, all are loaded, we could live a long time by staying home. But wally world every day for refills. Also a new dish washer.
I think she beat even me this year.

ernie
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

Here's a tip .I always pay myself 1.00 when I practice at home.This adds up in a couple years,especially if you practice daily, you would be surprised at the money you earned practicing.It could help pay for your next steel.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I always fine myself 1.00 when I practice at home. Kinda works out the same though!
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

I could have bought a small country for what I've spent on music stuff over the years. I'd hazard a guess somewhere around $125,000 since 1985.

Currently, all the gear I own including P.A. is worth about $12,000. but it's more than paid for it's self.

JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
John Walden

Post by John Walden »

Last year I bought: Rains SD-10, Emmons SD-12 PP, Sho Bud LDG, Two Dobros, two Nashville 112s, W/knob guards, Ampeg bass amp, Two Teles, a new Black Box, a new 15/16s BJS, and Two Zirc Bars. My gas attack is over,(for now) and I'm glad I don't have to justify anything to anyone ! I forgot the Sigma, and it's black.
J. W.
http://www.myspace.com/johnmwalden

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

But Billy, are you including in your average the revenues from all the ones you bought and later sold? Or are you just interested in outlay but not income? (Or perhaps you've only accumulated instruments and never sold any again?)

Cheers & say hey to Ann for me,
Jim
pdl20

money spent on musicial equpt

Post by pdl20 »

i have totaled over the last 10 yrs about 12000.not including digital recording stuff and misc other things.or money spent keeping wifie happy and off my case.
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Jim Cohen,
At the time of calculating the given figure I did think of equatinng the goods sold etc, but the beads fell from My abacus,I have ,however managed to adapt Ann's pearl necklace and do the final calculation.
Yearly expenditure
Items purchased over the years........$2200 P.A.
Items sold/px ........................$750 P.A
Items retained........................$1000 P.A.

This shows I throw away about $450 each year.
If We take away the amount I have earned by playing all these years I can reduce this loss to about $50 per year :D
If I were to calculate the amount of $ Ann has spent on Hair do's over the same period........
She would need a bigger pearl necklace.

have a nice holiday in Blightey Jim and Jane.

Best regards
Billy and Ann
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Best guess is around $68K back to 1968
Jerry Dragon

Post by Jerry Dragon »

I am not sure. I am pretty sure though, I haven't made enough money playing over the years to cover the strings I have bought.
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

Well, actually not as much as I thought it would be. About $425 per year over the last 35 years. It would have been more, if I'd had it to spend...
Sonny Morris sjm227@hotmail.com
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Billy, does that include flights and accommodation?
You might have been better off by having it shipped to you. Oh, yes! Thanks for picking up stuff for me on your jaunts Stateside. :)

Arch.
I'm well behaved, so there!
Mickey Adams

Holy Cow......................................Dick

Post by Mickey Adams »

I wanted to place your name away from COW in the header Richard...that would look funny!! :P
68K?....Sheesh...I thought I was bad!>..
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!