So, How was Branson?

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Mike Mantey

So, How was Branson?

Post by Mike Mantey »

Would have loved to go. Was it a good one?
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Hi Mike-- Sorry you missed it this year--The best yet--(IMHO) So Much to talk about for all three days, I'll not try to cover it only to say record crowds friday night and saturday at The Branson Community Building and a very good turn out sunday at The Gene Williams Theater. I'm going to let Jerry Hanley and others start telling their take on it and son Doug should have the massive bunch of pictures up on our web site by the end of this week www.ozarksteelguitar.com Enjoy :)
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

The Sunday show was the only one I got to be a part of it and had an excellent time. We had such a busy weekend we kind of blew in and blew out but want to thank all involved for having us and commend you all on a great venue, superb band, and an awesome day. Yep sorry Mike you missed a goodin!
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Mike,

We were there for Saturday and Sunday. Both days were good and they had good crowds all three days. LOTS OF MULLEN STEELS THERE!!!!!!!!! At one time I think there was at least 4 lined up at the front for the jam.

Donna
Frank Tillman

Post by Frank Tillman »

That Saturday show was WELL worth the $10 cost of addmission. I felt like I kinda cheated the Associaton by seeing all of that talent for only $10 so I figured helping Hank get the place straightened up was the leat I could to help pay him back! I've been trying to get up there for 3 years and I hope like heck I can make it again next year. I know hardly anything about a steel guitar but I do know good music when I hear it and I heard a lot of it this weekend.
Gary Van Meter

Branson Show

Post by Gary Van Meter »

Mike they were a lot of good players and guitars I had a great time. The staff band was great they played and cut up at the same time.At one time they had so many Mullen G2 Guitars lined up it looked like a G2 convention. I wonder if anyone got a picture of it, if so please post. Great players,Great time.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Well, I'll tell ya that the Friday night kick-off was a BLAST!! 8)
DeWitt Scott

Branson show

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I was at the show on Sunday and agree that it was one of the best shows yet. Terry and Lana were great hosts and made everyone feel welcome and at home...I used Larry Sasser's equipment and he stayed with me until he dialed in the best sound for me. I got a lot of nice comments about my tone and that means a lot to me. Thanks Larry! Scotty
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Hi Scotty-- I don't want to steel too much thunder from my son's postings of pictures of all three days on our web site (coming soon this week) but here are a couple I can't resist--
These are take offs from "Proud Papas" theme--
Can you see the pride these two guys take in the work they have done with these two proteges ?

Even son-in-law, Brian Sterling, is enjoying this one of Terry --

Great work Scotty and Terry---

Oh ---almost forgot---- how about this one, Gary

[img]
Gary Van Meter

Branson Show

Post by Gary Van Meter »

Thanks Bill thats perfect.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

This was probably the best show that Branson has ever had! The players, the back-up band & singers were just great! You keep thinking from year to year how it can get better but it usually does! All the players were great but my hats off this year to Phil Koontz! Man, that guy smoked that Sho-Bud and his bass player was a great singer! Thanks Hank & Terry and all the members of the OSGA for a great time. Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Daniel J. Cormier

Great Show

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

Hey Guy's
Great Show. I was able to make the show on Sat. with my Wife and Parents. Got to meet so many nice folk. I heard some great pickers. Met up with my buddies Fred Justice and Ray Qualls. Was able to make The Ballknobbers show to meet up with Rodger Blevins.
So many things to do in Branson and so little time to do it in.
Daniel J. Cormier
Rittenberry with Tone to the bone,profex or tubefex and what ever amp, hilton pedal, BJS bars. Email at kajunsteelman@yahoo.com.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Danny, it was so good to finally get to meet you! Glad you had a good time and I know that you had to miss a lot of it but Me and Ol Fred covered for you! :lol: Hope your trip home was a safe one! See ya down the road, Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Darn it Ray, you've done went and tempted me again !! I'll just add this quick one that is one of those "priceless behind the scenes" thing that happened --with Old Fred ---
Saturday afternoon concluded with a great five piece jam shown below with our own Vice President, Mike McGee on the far right --

Mike started the jam and right after he finished his part "old Fred" slips up to him and jerks off his name tag and says "Give me that !! You ain't Mike McGee !! I know Mike McGee and he don't play like that !!"
With friends like that, who needs enemies huh Mike :lol:
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Yeah Bill, that was one of those priceless times! Also, everyone notice the new sign on the wall of the OSGA! Very nice. If you didn't make it this year, be sure and put it on your roster for next year. Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Sounds like such a great time and atmosphere. I will try and go next year for sure.
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

It really was a nice time and the new location was just perfect for the Sunday show.

I'm still trying to get the grin off of my face from getting to see one of my heroes, the great Buck Trent, at the Sunday show. Who would have ever thought that a banjo player would be such a crowd pleaser at a steel show???

Many thanks to all who helped to make this show a success. :D
Doug Earnest
Manufacturer of Stage One & Encore pedal steel guitars
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com
"Teach Your Children Well"
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Really missed being there for the Sunday show...Have not missed it since it started.I will make the next one....Ron
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

I offer apologies for missing Sunday. My son is home for a few days from the east coast, and I needed to spend time with him since I don't get to see him much (near enough!) anymore.

I did hear that Sunday was great, but how could it not be?

I want to sincerely thank all the great people who bought $4/gallon gas to support the efforts of the OzSGA. Budgets are tight, and for us to have had the crowds we had for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday tells me steel guitar is alive and kicking!

Bill, that 'jam' picture reminds me of my grade school teacher, who would hand us a picture and ask 'which object in the picture doesn't belong?'. 'Mike McGee' would be the appropriate answer here. I also recall the great George Gobel line, in which he asked 'Did you ever feel the world was a tuxedo, and you were a pair of brown shoes?'.
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Hey Mike--you and I usually always agree on things !!! How come I'm taking exception with your implication of not belonging in that picture ??? :eek: You pick with the best of them and don't talk back to me about it ok ? :x
NOW---3:25 Tuesday the 29th and son Douglas just announced the pictures are up and posted--- enjoy -- www.ozarksteelguitar.com - :D
Jerry Foster

Post by Jerry Foster »

wow!!! what a great time and privlege to get to play with such great steel player's & ALL THE people we met. I thank all the folks responable for this great 2008 jam, god bless.jerry & dee
Doc Rickles

Branson Show

Post by Doc Rickles »

Sat and Sun were two great days.The band is always great, the players outdid themselves,and they were the best shows yet.Thanks to Terry, Hank, Bill and all the gang. Met many people I had only corresponded with on the forum. Got to spend time with my favorite picker, Tyler Hall. Tyler and Austin are a mess. Two young players to thrill us all.Mike McGee
absolutely outstanding.Hank Ruf made that Derby sound glorious. (and with no shoes)Herby Wallace sounded great,its all coming back.Joe Wright his usual magnificent playing. My friends and I plan to be at the next years show.
Thanks Gang for a great and and wonderful
weekend.
Doc Rickles
GFI Red and Black SD 10 3/4 Keyless, Fender Jazzmaster Head, Special Jensen 12" Speaker Cab, New Hilton Pedal, Epiphone ES 295,60th Aniv 52 Custom Shop Tele,Tacoma Chief CKK9C Koa Wood
Wonderful Wife who loves all this stuff.
"Steel Away and Pray Everyday."
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I certainly want to thank Hank and Terry for allowing me to be on the show. I really enjoyed being there, visiting with many folks. Thanks to Don and Ken Johnson for being there from OKC and Dallas. I appreciate you guys so much. I do apologize if I acted weird and played bad, I have been dizzy and lightheaded for over a month with Vertigo or some kind of inner ear problem and was pretty spaced out. The backup band was terrific and the theater was perfect. Thanks to Clovis Richards, Dan Sliter and Newberry for help carrying my equipment. I truly love the Branson show and very much hope we can continue to be a part of it.
Jerry
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Was glad to see Jerry and Venda Hanley at the Sat and Sun shows. Jerry seems to be on the mend in good fashion. They are so valuable to our association and so very much help.- :)
Buck Grantham

show

Post by Buck Grantham »

There were a lot of Mullen guitars on the show and they all sounded great. Mike, you would have been proud. It was a great show all three days and I enjoyed all of the players.