Handicap playing steel with artificial knee

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Patrick

Handicap playing steel with artificial knee

Post by Ron Patrick »

I posted this subject earlier but like a idiot I sent it by accident to the instruments for sale . Sorry about that .
I had a knee replacement six years ago on my left knee . Just recently I started learning to play the steel but have found out that I got a problem with the knee levers on the left side of the guitar . When I get the guitar in position where my leg is not in a strain to play the pedals , my left knee is too far back to work the knee lever . I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the knee lever for a screw to hold another lever running horizontal along side of the knee. Does anyone know of a solution to this or know of anyone who has gone through it. Thanks Ron
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Some Emmons guitars have a horizontal flip-down extender that sounds like what you're describing...maybe one of the Emmons gurus can chime in?
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Ron,they used to make something,I think it was called a PEDAL PAL that fit on the lever that made it wider,don't know if this will work for you or not.Frenchy used to sell them,you could check with him and see.You can find him here on the forum under vendors,I'm sure you can solve your problem some way.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Ron -

Read both of your posts. Bryan and Charles have given you the simplest solution in addition to Carl and Michael's input. The most permanent solution seems to be Michael's since he's been through it. Would take some time, though, what with physical therapy. Another permanent solution, albeit more complicated, is to move the lever, rod, & bellcrank back towards the rear apron IF the configuration of your guitar allows it. I've moved mine in order to accomodate my stumpy little legs and am happy with the results. Yeh - I know - sounds like a pain but, as you've gathered, we have to fit the instrument to US and not vice versa. Best of luck to you. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Respectfully,

Richard
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Ron, I played on one of those flip down levers
and it is a good solution for your issue.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Ron Patrick

Handicap with knee replacement

Post by Ron Patrick »

Thanks for all of your input ,it will help .
I had therapy after surgery , the leg would bend at that time 123 degrees .Over the past few years I have been limited to 90 degrees . Even was put to sleep at the hospital last year while the doctor bent my leg back tying to make it more flexable . It did not work ,now they say the limitation is from scar tissue cause by surgery and more surgery may be needed to remove the scar tissue . I said enough is enough and no more surgery.
Thats where I'm at today, I will take your advice and adapt the guitar to me instead of me to it . Thanks for your help . Ron
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

How about a magnet?---------Sorry! :)
Lewis John Foote

Post by Lewis John Foote »

howdy, ive only been playin two years and a bit, and i had a total knee replacement, i got back on my steel after six weeks, by lightening the pull on my levers, and stenthening my legs on a leg press machine, it seems fine now, except for the clicking in my knee, i still limp a bit cause the other one needs doing but i think i will leave it at that, lew.
pro1,s two round fronts, one square front, sho-bud, S12, LDG,1977, built by paul franklin sen, [THE PROFESSIONAL]nice all original, bandit65, nash, 400, profex 11,match-box, 7A,DD3, delay,various accoustic guitars, amps, and other necessitys,
Charlie Shifflett

knee replacement

Post by Charlie Shifflett »

Hey guys I dont no how your guitar is set up but mine
is a emmons p/p reg. set up I have a left leg knee
replacement and I have no problem with my knee lever
I had my surgery four years ago ben playing just as I was before My left knee lever Is set up to the back
of my guitar just hang in there you will figure it out ,,,Your buddy Charlie