Nashville Star....Opinions?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

I don't know but all these shows that offer instant stardom seems so counter intuitive to the hard work and long dues that all great musicians have gone through on their way to success. Having a panel of talent "judges" making someone "famous" overnight makes me ill. What a typical "gotta have it right now" wrong message to young musicians. Gag!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

kenny...your ears musta been burning...we were talking about you the other night!

stu...i wasn't putting billy ray down. i opened a week of gigs for billy once and even though i had hated achey breaky heart, i gained a lot of respect for him. he was really a considerate, nice right on guy! he sincerely thanked our band regularly and asked if we needed anything....sometimes a personal connection makes a huge readjustment in what you think of someone. and of course i didn't mean to shoot the producers 'dead'....perhaps just inflict poverty on them!
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Hey there Chet Atkins,
Would you make me a star,

Boy I am sumthin' else,
on this guitar...

(With apologies to the late Chet Atkins...)

June 20, 1924 - June 30, 2001
"Years from now, after I'm gone someone will listen to what I've done and know I was here. They may not know or care who I was, but they'll hear my guitars speaking for me."
- Chet Atkins -
Last edited by Ray Minich on 1 Jul 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

The show is what it is. It can help a career.

As for "Walk The Line" it to was a show , not the complete truth.
I thought Reece did a GREAT JOB singing! :)

Go Pat Severs! :) We're hearing steel on TV!
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

Who's career will it help??
Certainly not the contestants, most of whom cant sing any better than the host and judges.. which leaves only the "stars" and the producers etc, and it looks like they'll need all the help they can get once the turkey that is Nashville Star is cooked. After the show cancels, the band wont get anything out of it either, perhaps not even residuals IF it goes into syndication. The only "careers" helped by N-Star are the ones of the host, judges, producers, sponsors and the marketing whizzes who sell this crud....
I dont know much about this topic, but I DID sleep @ a Holiday Inn Express last night :wink:
Theresa Galbraith

Mike,
Ya, know I love ya! :)

Are ya still with Ray Price? :)
Charley Wilder

Post by Charley Wilder »

Ben Jones wrote:modern country is worse than worthless to me, its annoyingly bad. I wouldnt want to watch amatuers attempts at aspiring to that. UNLESS..it was as delightfully as bad as the old Gong Show was. Bring on the rapping Cowboy, the fiddle player in a robot costume, the "unknown steeler" with a bag over his head...break out Charles Nelson Riley, get Jamie Farr on the phone, etc.
Yes!! :D
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

"As for John Rich, his comment about not being the best singer, but it's about being a Star upset me a lot."

Theresa, that is the mindset nowadays. Once you understand that this is a fundamentally flawed way of thinking, you will begin to see what all of us armchair critics are talking about. (BTW, same goes for line dancers.) 8)
Theresa Galbraith

With all do respect to the musicians on the show. Pat Severs along with the band are not amatuers! :)
Theresa Galbraith

Barry,
I know what you armchair critics think, you're not telling me anything new! :lol:
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Does anyone besides me suspect that the winner has already been decided, management company formed, studio booked and the first record hype already planned. Can you say Zimbabwe election?
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Ken Thompson

Post by Ken Thompson »

I kind of enjoy watching the show just to see what is going on in Nashville. And to see the "perceived" stars of tomorrow. I have to say that nobody there puts our band vocalists to shame so that is a good thing! I really like Gabe. He would be fun to back any time. Now, my rant....John Rich is one bizarre guy! Some of his statements were so off the wall and changed depending on his mood at the moment! You could see the total shock and surprise in the contestants eyes because they were so off the wall and inconsistant. One week he loves them and the next week he trashes them all for "my perceived" feeling that he wants to let them and the world know that he is a tough producer and it is the hardest industry in the world! Get over yourself! This from a guy that wouldn't know traditional country music if it bit him you know where! But then again, look where he is and where I am! What the heck do I know??? Okay I feel better now. I'll quit yelling at my television now.
Don Discher

Post by Don Discher »

Nashville Star did launch the career of a fellow Canadian "George Canyon" who was runner up to WHO ?
George is having a great run and a true country star.
I think I watched part of a show this season but switched to a ball game instead, wonder why ?
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

I watched the last 20 minutes or so. I was surprised at how bad everyone was. Makes me wonder what the stage monitoring is like. A couple of years ago I was playing at Billy Bobs one night when they were holding regional auditions. Many of those contestants I heard that night were better than anyone I heard last night.

I did like the Pat's steel playing and it was great that he was up in the mix.

I too have played some shows opening for Billy Ray and I can confirm he is a truly nice person, so I'll always root for him on that level. Not sure he's the best host though, because he seemed really stiff to me. As for the judges, this has to be the worst panel of judges on TV ever!
Sonny Morris sjm227@hotmail.com
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

I watched the show and do agree that the talent is very weak. I almost lost my dinner when I heard the judges give there views. I wish the best for the people trying to get there start. The over all show is a waste of time.
At least America's got talent has some humor to it.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Don Drummer

nashvilian star

Post by Don Drummer »

Anybody remember "You Can Be A Star"? Same premise just not as entertaining to the non musical public. Along comes "American Idol" with all its entertainment value both good and bad and Viola! A huge hit. Naturally it becomes a template for other shows be it dance, music or whatever. The sad lesson in all this is here we have an example of whats so anoying about the mainstream country music business that has existed for years: The complete lack of originality.
Jim Seay

Post by Jim Seay »

First season was the best. Lambert, Buddy Jewell. After major network picked it up this time Country aint Country no more! Stinks
='07 Carter/D-10=
James Collett

Post by James Collett »

Anyone else as sick of reality shows as I am- the only one I ever watch is He@@'s Kitchen, because it fun to count how many times Gordon Ramsay sets the "beeeep" noise off! :lol:
James Collett
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Instead of paying actors to act full-time in a show that may last a few months, they can sucker amateurs into playing the pre-determined parts that they've written out for them - the aging mother who's in it for the kids, the teens with a dream, the pretty people who can't sing (vote 'em off, because we're not superficial, oh no). It's all scripted - Jewel must've fallen behind on her mansion's mortgage?

Last week it opened with a synth-bass-drums version of Madonna's paean to oral sax, "Like a Prayer." I stuck it out a bit... This week it opened with a synth-bass-drums version of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" - I bailed out. Next week is scheduled to be hair-metal week, with a special guest appearance by Tommy Lee and Vince Neil, featuring Vince's alkie potato-nose:

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

At least Chef Ramsey can cook ! uh..I think :eek:
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

no Theresa, I posted 2 months ago on the forum that Id quit Ray, but you knew that already.

I dont think anyone posting here was referring to Pat and the band as being amateurs. Lets not "swift-boat" those who's views may differ.

Barry B. ; :lol: tell it like it is. That show has to be fixed, and John Rich must be off his meds to be spouting the drivel he's trying to sell to the contestants. Can you say A.D.D. ?? He really is all over the place.
Y'all watch, with the collection of oddballs that
this show has put together as the main draw there's sure to be some scandal before its over, ala "Idol". In show business, it cant end any other way.

Sure Billy Ray is a nice guy, he has to be. (old Nashville joke) :)
Theresa Galbraith

Mike,
I didn't read you quitting Ray on the forum 2 months ago.

I'm not a fan of John Rich either, but the show can bring fans to the artist. Miranda Lambert & Buddy Jewel are products of this.

Anyway, I watch the show when I can. I enjoy it! :)

Good luck to you! :)
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Theresa, you are the Anti-Mikey of the SGF. You like everything! :lol:
Theresa Galbraith

Thanks Barry,

I try to look at the good in things, not so much the negative! :) My parents taught me that! :)
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

The Nashville Star is the mainstreams way of apologizing (by proving a point) to the sponsors of this Country Music program. The mainstreams presumption and presentation of country music generally is singing out of tune through your nose and backed up by a hillbilly blue grass jug band in midi format. As you can see and hear they succeeded with the singing part.