Ballpark value of my steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Faulkner

Ballpark value of my steel?

Post by Alan Faulkner »

Hi,
I'd like to know what my steel is worth. The general info is in my signature and here are some pics. The mark on the left leg is a sticker which has been removed. As you see from the underneath view there are 4 knee levers. Since I took the picture I lowered the others as they were fastened up in the case. It has been raining since so I am unable to rephotograph.

PS. The steel is in better shape than the patio :D

Cheers,
Al

Sho~Bud
Model 6160 Serial # 9397
Dark green dye and yellow/brown inlay
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Bud Pro I.. Square front, single raise and lower.. nice shape... I would say maybe $1350 low- $1650 high..
It depends.. Some guys like more unique colors and will pay a premium for them... Yours looks like that charcoal grey that sho bud made.. I don't think thats a real "hot" color..
Its certainly a nice guitar and will sell at a good price in any case... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

That's a double Raise/Single Lower 12-string Sho~bud.
Made around 1976; square front.
Great shape top and bottom.
Worth 1500.00 to 1800.00
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Alan Faulkner

Post by Alan Faulkner »

Here is a better picture with the knee levers more visible as a group
Cheers,
Al

Sho~Bud
Model 6160 Serial # 9397
Dark green dye and yellow/brown inlay
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

We've already compared notes/photos of our very similar guitars. The biggest difference is my 5th (vert.) lever. I bought my Bud last Oct. on ebay from a Denver music store for $1500. I was the only bidder. I was willing to go to around $1700 I think. Bottom line---I'm a 12 string player, I've wanted a Pro1 for a while and 12 string Buds don't come around that often.

Pricing is an odd science since 12 string steels are a market-limiting factor---far less action on an S-12 than an equally desirable S-10 or D-10 and hence the potential for this to depress the price. But then, as a 'specialty' item with a very specific hungry buyer (like me last year) you could see someone willing to pay for this not-so-often-seen steel.

Both factors played out in my purchase---I was willing to pay a premium for this guitar but I didn't have to because there was no other interest.

What can you do with this insight? Beats me.

---edit----I just reviewed some notes and I find that I was ready to bid up to $1900 if I got caught in a bidding war and if I didn't get cold feet about an unseen, unplayed guitar.
One aspect of the ebay thing---I got lucky. The steel is good. But if I weren't an experienced steel tinkerer I'd have had to send it to someone to get it playable. It was so far out of adjustment it would have been a disaster for a novice. But a few hours of work gave me a real winner. That's ebay for you. If you are selling your guitar as 'certified' to be in good playing condition....well that's gotta count for something.