OSGA Show WOW!!

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

john buffington

OSGA Show WOW!!

Post by john buffington »

Just a note of thanks to all of the folks who attended the show this year, and what a show it was! If you happened to have missed it - missed it you did! Even though the gas prices are high, our folks attending said it was worth it seeing the talent on stage. New faces Hank Ruf and Miss Lana from Steel Radio, Mel Tillis steel player Terry Bethel (Branson, MO). In addition Terry Crisp (Nashville, TN. with the Joe Diffie Show) and his wife gave a stellar show, as did Jim Loessberg (Austin, TX)and wife Dottie Jack. Returning again was lightining fingers Robbie Springfield and his wife, and the incredible Scotty Henderson (Missouri Monster picker) super entertainer. We also want to thank Jr. Knight and Terry Bethel for splitting a set on Saturday night (great show) they definitely wowed the crowd, Curtis Potters' show was awesome. All of the players who appeared on the entire show were in top form, each player adding a new level of energy to their set. Some players brought their bands with them and this added to the excitement and entertainment for the folks attending. The Jamboree staff band, John Terry, Dewayne Bowman, Larry King all incredible vocalists along with Paul Polish and Roy Rosetta and BJ Richards on sound and master MC Time keeper Jody "The Voice" Sanders all did an incredible job ensuring a smooth entertaining show. A big thank you again to all of our players, who gave their time and expenses to play on our show, without you we could not have done it! Thanks also to the players who split a set to enable other players the opportunity to also be on the show - we appreciate this sacrifice! Thanks also to the OSGA Board members who help line up the talent and player list and to you the folks who help make this one of the best shows ever! Forgive if your name was not mentioned here, as there are many behind the scenes working, both players and members who without your help and support the show could not have been possible. The worship service was also very well attended this year, Jess French and Larry King lead this part of the show and Larry did a tribute song to the late Dottie Rambo whom was a very close personal friend to Larry. We're already looking forward to next year and plans are in the making, even though it is 364 days away!
Thanks again.
John Buffington, OSGA President
Hank Ruf

Post by Hank Ruf »

I want to say thanks to John and the rest of the OSGA for inviting me to play on this great show. I had a ball.
Marty Neer

OSGA show

Post by Marty Neer »

John, thank you for all your hard work. We sure had a number of hurdles this year but it all worked out in the end. Again a big thanks to our staff band. You guys are the core of having a great show.
To all the others behind the scene, board members Gary, Bob, Ed, we appreciate the time and SUPPORT you
guys give John and I. To the other members who come and volunteer THANK YOU!!! You really don't know how much it means to us. WOW! 364 days, better
start trying to put my set list together. LOL!
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

WOW is right, John!! What a jam-up show!! And the hospitality of everyone there was stellar. I want to thank everybody involved who helped make this show BEYOND successful---you know who you are. ;-)

Thankyou John, for having me on the play list. And my pal Byron McKedy for singing on my set. Byron, you sure nailed those Waylon tunes!! We were cruising along just fine, until my 5th string busted on me!! :whoa: :oops: It got a little different there for a bit. :lol: :lol:
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

I want to thank everyone in the club for all the hard work!! It was a great show as always! and it was REALLY an honor to play along side one of the GREATS of the steel guitar world..Terry Bethel! Thanks Mr. T for a fun set. As always the band was PERFECT :!:
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Wow is right. What an excellent show. I especially want to thank the staff and band for all their great work to make our Memorial Day weekend well... memorable! Teresa had a great time and enjoyed all the company and great pickin. Big thak you to Mr Knight for playing six string for us on Friday night's show. (and a big thanks for our conversation on Sunday morning. I appreciated it more than you'll ever know.) Even though it was by acciedent I am deeply honored that Jody asked me to play "Look at Us" in memory of John Hughey. So many others could have played it better but it was a special moment for me. All the players were great! It's our favorite weekend of the year! Thank you again and hope to see you next year so we can do it again.
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

WOW....what a great show in Tulsa. Thanks to the O.S.G.A. for having me up again this year to do the keyboard work. I think this was my 14th year to work the show and it seems to get better each year. All of the players were superb and all brought their "A" game. Thanks again John and the O.S.G.A. for all the hard work you put into an event like this. Barbara and I had a great time and we're lookin g forward to next year.
....Roy
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

Ditto !!!!! Man , what a show. I thought the entire weekend was just perfect and I want to thank the guys at O S G A for giving me the honor once again to be part of the staff band. Without slighting anyone , there were some "standout" moments. I'll start with Jr Knight....he does it all. He played a blazing hot ride on Hwy 40 Blues with Terry Crisp , his steel set was superb on his new Rains...tone to the bone...and did some awesome bass work on Fred Justice's set.(Thank you)

McCutchen , Shoe , and Marty...you guys were perfect. Jim Loessberg...WOW ! what a technician. Superb execution. Scotty Henderson...if you missed Saturday night you missed him at his all time best.We've known he and Teresa for a long time , have played numerous shows and gigs together and NEVER heard him this fast and accurate. Robby Springfield remains one of my favorites and sweet little Jimmy Sue just sings a whole lotta hurt ! My word !

Which brings me to Terry Crisp. What a tremendous set he had both nights . Terry , when you're too old for Joe N , you're just right for Tulsa. And Christy ! WOW what a voice. Talk about singing with the hurt...she had a ton of emotion on every note. I'll say this...she sold out of product. That alone should speak volumes to you. I think it's time to hit the studio.

Finally , to all of the staff players....y'all were great.Dewayne Bowman was at his best but he don't look good naked anymore. The Country Classics...it's an honor to be one of you. Dwain Carger held us in check while John Terry delivered his usual awesome vocals and our hero/leader/incredible steel man John Buffington played his you know what off.

Thanks to Bob Dell for giving me some much needed breaks and to Rich McDonald for his help in the load out.I find myself wondering how much better it can get. Looking forward to '09
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

I just now got home from the Tulsa show, what a blast.
Thank you staff band so much and thank you OSGA for having me back again, I believe it was my fifth year.
Thanks to everyone that came into the MSA Demo room, we had a ball in there.
Seems you all just about got washed away right after I left Tulsa, hope everyone one is OK.
God bless you all and thanks again.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Many Thanks to the staff band and all the steel players for making my job ao easy. It is always an honor for me to be asked to MC and play on the shows. In closing, you folks who did not attend the church service, missed some of the best picking ever. John Buffington's playing was incredible. Hope to see you next year and GOD BLESS, Jody.
Last edited by Jody Sanders on 27 May 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

A special thanks to Buck and Mitzi for providing me the photos from the Hall of Fame portion of the Texas Show. Jody.
David Young

OSGA Show WOW!!

Post by David Young »

What a show!

I agree with the posts that have already been made on this thread, and I doubt if I could add anything to what has been mentioned so well. I will not attempt to single anyone out as all who played on the show did an outstanding job! And, the staff band is the best in the business if you ask me! My thanks to my friend John Buffington and all the OSGA Board and Staff members. What a great job by all of you! As, Scotty Henderson mentioned this being his favorite weekend of the year, I must say it is mine as well.

I grew up listening to great classic country music and just always loved the steel guitar music in particular. I do not play the steel guitar, I'm just a fan. I started coming to the Tulsa show several years ago, as, I play guitar in Jess French's Gospel group of which John Buffington plays with us as well. For me it has been such a pleasure and a joy to become friends with so many in the steel guitar family, and throughout the course of attending other shows over the years and being a member of the forum, I want to say thank you to all who have welcomed me into the family. I never would have dreamed that I would grow up and become personal friends with so many of the great steel guitar players I have listened to all my life. What a blessing it is to me personally!

Thank you to the OSGA for another great show!

Bro. David Young
Hello to all my steel guitar playing friends. You are in my prayers as you travel to all the shows. I'll see you when I can. Rev. David L. Young / 2007 Martin D-41 Special, 1999 Tacoma DM-9, 2012 Bourgeois Cocobolo back and sides with an Adirondack Spruce top.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Thanks to the OSGA for having us on the show again. Thanks to the guys who backed us which included Bob Dell on bass and Fred Gordineer on drums in addition to Roy, John and Dewayne. You guys were terrific. And finally, thanks to you fans who stayed for our set, I appreciate you very much. I think I played like a hack but I did think Carlene did her usual great job of singing a beautiful Gospel song.
Jerry
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Jerry, you were great. And as you said, Carlene was incredible as usual. Jody.
Curt Shoemaker

Post by Curt Shoemaker »

A big thanks goes to John, and the OSGA gang for having another great show. The back-up band was at their best, along with the singers. Just a GREAT time! :D
john buffington

Just another word of thanks to all who have posted their take on the show, without you we could not have done it! However, above all, we give the LORD GOD Almighty ALL the credit first and foremost for the success of the show. It is HE who puts together the people, and as Marty so well stated about the hurdles, hurdles we did have, however, the LORD removed them and gave us a tremendous show and the fellowship was second to none! I appreciate Marty's support more than he knows, as well as, all the Board members of the OSGA. What a team we do have, but more especially thanks to the fans of the steel guitar - after all, that is what the show is really about!

John Buffington
Buck Grantham

Tulsa show

Post by Buck Grantham »

Yes I think it was one of the best shows that we ever had and I am very proud that John Buffington and the whole club let me be a part of it . It's always a pleasure to be there and see all of our friends again. It was a great fellowship too!!!! Really and truly (God is good all the time) and let us never forget that with God,s grace we all were able to get there and back home safely and ready to go back next year. Love,, Buck & Mitzi
Robby Springfield

Post by Robby Springfield »

Jimmie Lou and I are always honored to be a part of the Tulsa show. Thanks to all of the band and Mr. John for having us. We kind of got in late and had to leave early so we missed visiting very much. A special thanks to Fred for the loan of the speakers. We hope the club continues to prosper and gain the support it deserves.

Robby and Jimmie Lou
Tim McCutchen

Post by Tim McCutchen »

A big thank you John Buffington and the OSGA for allowing me to be a part of the show. It's always a favorite of mine. The backup band was just awesome and I had a great time visiting with so many friends. Thank you Larry for the kind words. Thanks again.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Did it seem to you that everyone was playing at a higher level than usual ? I think everyone on the show was at his or her best. This includes the staff band. Jody.
john buffington

Jody -

I totally agree, the electricty was definitely in the air. Jr. Knight was in top form on both 6 string guitar and his Rains Steel Guitar, wow absolute "tone to the bone"! His chops on both were honed to a super fine edge. Some of the absolute best playing/entertainment ever. Everyone was on top of their show. Vocals were out of sight - a stellar show no doubt! Back up band top notch - Don Compston would have been proud of this one for sure.

John
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

I just wanted to say that upon reading some other posts , it would appear that our friend Ray Qualls has sufficiently recovered from the illness that forced him to cancel his appearance at the O S G A show and for that we are truly grateful. Happy to see you feeling better Ray , and continued success with your club.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Larry, thanks for mentioning me. I really hated missing the show again this year. I'm still not over what I've got and this is my 6th week of having it. Probably near pneumonia stage and can't shake it. Also losing a nephew and a cousin in a two day period was pretty depressing. Anyway, I'm glad the show was a good one and thanks to everyone who was concerned. Looking forward to seeing everyone down the road. Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
john buffington

Amen to what Larry said, illness of any nature can be most distressing. We are glad you are on the road to recovery.

John Buffington
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Finally able make this post.
My thanks and gratitude to the OSGA, and their staff and volunteers, for another great show.And my thanks to them for letting me be a small part of it. I had a large time, and so enjoyed the many artists, and entertainers who appeared..They did a super job..
I know it is a time consuming, and labor intensive undertaking, and the driving force is their love of the steel guitar, and the support musicians, and their skills, that make them want to do these many jobs to present the fans with a quality show..
My thanks and kudos to all of them..and I'm looking forward to next years production..
Peace and good health to all of you..
RP...'come on in'...