New to the forum, and to lap steel.

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Raphael Ryan

New to the forum, and to lap steel.

Post by Raphael Ryan »

Hi everybody!

My name is Raphael. I come from ohio and I will be a happy owner of one of Sonny Jenkins's new lap steels very soon. :D

I have not played the Lap steel before (just 9 years of guitar playing), so I'm sure I will be asking lots questions.

If any one has any recommendation for books/dvds to learn from feel free to speak up :D

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

Raphael
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

What kind of music do you want to play? What tuning do you intend to use? How many strings do you have? All the instructional material I know of is in one variation or another of C6.
Amor vincit omnia
Raphael Ryan

Post by Raphael Ryan »

Edward Meisse wrote:What kind of music do you want to play? What tuning do you intend to use? How many strings do you have? All the instructional material I know of is in one variation or another of C6.
i meant to say say some of that.
Edward Meisse wrote: What kind of music do you want to play?
I would like to be able to cross over different kinds of music, So I could play along with some 60s rock and folk, but i would also like to be able to play some Hawaiian steel. I don't know if any tuning will let me do that easily, but I can dream right?
Edward Meisse wrote: What tuning do you intend to use?
Don't know about tunings yet. I have been reading up on them and C6 or A6 sound like a good place to start. But I really don't know yet.

Edward Meisse wrote: How many strings do you have?
I have 8 strings
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

C6 and A6 are excellent choices for an 8 string guitar. They are generally considered to be the most versatile tunings. They've frequently been used in both hawaiian and swing. If you use either A6 or high C6 (G-E-C-A-G-E-C-A) from top to bottom you are going to have the same intervals. In other words, these are the same tuning in two different registers. The instructional material for them will be interchangeable except for any taped accompaniments that come with them. Also the actual notes will be a minor third different. But the tablature will be exactly the same.
Cindy Cashdollar has some tapes for C6. So does George Piburn (Georgeboards). You can find some A6 instruction and tabs from Herb Remington and/or Rick Alexander. I'm sure all have websites. I think Mike Auldridge has some material for acoustic 8 string that might be helpful, too.
Amor vincit omnia
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Raphael,welcome from Alabama,good advice from Edward,happy picking.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Ron Whitfield

Welcome!

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Check out my site - www.hwnsge.5u.com
You may find something there of interest or use.
A starter tutorial is on pg. 4 with links to other learning material.

Lot's of other teaching stuff around, but do yourself a favor and learn the correct fundementals to start off with.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Hi Raphael, welcome to the forum!
The following tutorial material is mainly for A6 tuning: hi2lo - E C# A F# E C# A F#
A6 is a good tuning to get started with, and you can easily retune to C6: hi2lo - E C A G E C A G without changing strings -

STEEL GUITAR BASICS DVD by Rick Alexander
Fundamental techniques and tips for beginners.
Hundreds of new players have gotten started with this DVD.
Check out the feedback here.
Sample videos can be found at http://youtube.com/rickalexander47

PIECES OF STEEL
4 DVD phrase by phrase breakdown of songs with backup tracks CD.
The logical continuation of the STEEL GUITAR BASICS DVD.

FUN TAB 1 & 2 by Herb Remington
Herb's handwritten tab for many great songs.

TUFF FUN TAB by Herb Remington & Rick Alexander
Tab and backup tracks CD.
Last edited by Rick Alexander on 19 May 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Piburn

edited

Post by George Piburn »

edited
Last edited by George Piburn on 29 May 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raphael Ryan

Re: Welcome!

Post by Raphael Ryan »

Thanks everyone!

Ron Whitfield wrote: do yourself a favor and learn the correct fundementals to start off with.
That is what i'm trying to do :) I feel that you need to have the fundementals/basics right to become a good player.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Raphael,

Go to the Lap Steel or Rondo page links on my web site. I've got some basic tuning information and 43 tabs so far with audio files you can learn from. My tuning is 6 strings, E C A G E C(C#) high to low. I've got 6 more tabs ready to go and another song coming out tomorrow night. Perhaps by listening to some of my tabs you can determine if this tuning interests you. Regardless, whatever tuning you use, if it is a "6th" based tuning like C6, A6 or E6, you can possibly use my tabs for it regardless of how many strings you have on your new guitar.

My Steel Site

Greg
Kirby Fergerson

from another newbie in ohio

Post by Kirby Fergerson »

I recently took up lapsteel
i have a six and an eight string. greg cutshaw's tabs are excellent for learning. I use c6/ a7 tunings.Gregs page includes tabs audio samples played by him and generally a track without steel to practice with. He really got me started on the right path. Obviously he's also a great guy as I haven't spent a plug nickel on a lot of good instruction material
Derek Barlas

Re: from another newbie in ohio

Post by Derek Barlas »

Kirby Fergerson wrote:I recently took up lapsteel
i have a six and an eight string. greg cutshaw's tabs are excellent for learning. I use c6/ a7 tunings.Gregs page includes tabs audio samples played by him and generally a track without steel to practice with. He really got me started on the right path. Obviously he's also a great guy as I haven't spent a plug nickel on a lot of good instruction material
I'll agree with Kirby and throw in another good word for Greg Cutshaws tabs. I'm also a Lap Steel beginner and I've learned a lot by playing along with Gregs tabs and audio samples, and then trying to transpose them to different keys.