Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Shrader Sr

Practice CD player with pitch control

Post by Jack Shrader Sr »

Who make one and where can I buy one thank you......Jack
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Jack,
You just might really enjoy the set up that I have been using for about a year. I'm using a Numark Axis 9 (DJ unit), it's about $300, a $100 Samson mixer , and a Pod XT. All through headphones. Get some good phones though, it makes a difference.
The Numark has both pitch, and speed controls. the CD's will pretty much be on pitch, but the speed control,....keeping the same pitch, and key is real handy. Also, you can loop a choice section over, and over, when learning something new.
Once you get it tweaked in, (levels, verb) it sounds just like you're right on the record with everything else.
As far as where to buy it, Sam Ash carries all of it.
Here's a flick of my "playstation 9"

Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Windows Media Player has a built in pitch control but first you'd have to rip the tracks from the CD.
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Jack -

I can vouch for the claims made by Dale for his Numark. I've had the pleasure of seeing his in action and am amazed at its versatility. Got to get me one ASAP.

Respectfully,

Richard
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

These look interesting:

CLICK HERE
Ward Skinner

Post by Ward Skinner »

Or if you are able to use your computer you can get Amazing Slower Downer

You can download a trial version for free, not sure the cost but it isn't much if you like it. It will change pitch, slow down and loop.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

http://www.reedkotlermusic.com/rkm/TR_1000.htm

I can vouch for this one, the Reed Kotler TR-1000 Digital Music Study Recorder. Can slow passages down virtually limitlessly with no drop in pitch, can work your way through up to 90 seconds of material in any interval you'd like, and full pitch control to either match a recording or play a passage in another key. The only down sides are (1)the 90 second memory limitation is less than ideal if you just want to play along with a track. (2) because the recorder breaks things into digital "chunks" (you can tell I'm not an electronics guy), if you slow things down too much the individual notes sound a little choppy.
Bottom line, I've been real happy with mine and it's great for figuring out intros and rides off recordings.
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

I have a Tascom GT1 instrument trainer and it works pretty well, but the later model GT2 looks more straightforward and easier to use. I also have a model of the "trainer" that's roughly the size of an Ipod, and uses digital music files instead of CDs. It's handier and more portable, but can only use files that are converted to MP3 format. However, if you have alot of you music on MP3, this could be a good option for you. All three versions of the "trainer" can slow down tracks up to 50%, either with, or without changing the pitch. Just a few options to consider.

Good luck with your search.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Your windows media player has a slow-down feature!
Select a song, go up to the toolbar and click on "play", then "play speed", then "slow"...the song will now play at half speed buit at the same pitch 8)

Not quite as nice as the cd trainers with all the extra features, but for many people, its something thats already on their computers (free, sorta)and they just arent aware of it.

edit: oops Andy beat me to the punch.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

I've got both the Reed Kotler and the Tascam. The sound quality is better on the Tascam because you're actually listening to the CD, not just a sample. The Kotler is great for really disecting stuff. There are a bunch of brand new TR-1000 on ebay right now for $50(!).