Phenominal young steel player!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dennis Lee

Phenominal young steel player!

Post by Dennis Lee »

I was stumbling around on Google search and came across an obviously young psg player by the name of Allen Stewart (hope the spelling is correct). The clip showed a banner for Kansas Steel Guitar Association. This young player was nothing short of phenominal! Does anyone have more inside information on this young player? I was completely blown away. This is one player to be watching on the national scene.
Dave Biller

Post by Dave Biller »

might you be referring to Austin Stewart? if it's the same young gentleman, i heard him at the Dallas show and he's a marvelous player.
Dennis Lee

Austin

Post by Dennis Lee »

Yes, Dave, that's the player. What is his background? Did he mentor under an accomplished player? Just curious. Thanks for your reply.
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Coached by his grandfather, Jerry Newberry. Austen is a terrific player and a very nice young man. He was raised right for sure.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

He plays beautifully, here's a link to some of his YouTube videos Click Here
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

after watching look at us and way to survive, i've decided to sell my steels for a robe , slippers, and a hot water bottle!
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

That ain't all boys, he's only 13 years old and one of the most well mannered young men that you'll ever see! He'll be in Nashville this weekend scooting the first 6 rows back from his playing, and I don't mean from loudness. :whoa:
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Dennis Lee

Austin!!!

Post by Dennis Lee »

Chris, I'm with you. This makes me feel pretty inadequate. I had to start too late in life I guess. My hat is off to this young man. He has more talent in one finger than I have in both hands.
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

Hey Dennis, Austin is a super player. They gave him a main stage time slot and he nailed it like a pro.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Austin Stewart, the future of the pedal steel guitar. Jody.
Richard Jones

Post by Richard Jones »

all i can say i saw his you tube video's and all that can be said is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Emmons D10 LASHLY LEGRAND ,MSA SD10,BMI D10 ,SHO-BUD D10,wilcox S10..MSA D10,SHO~BUD LDG ,ZUM STEEL
Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

Hello all, I am just now seeing this post. Boy do you guys make a mom feel proud. Thank you so much for your kind words about Austin, especially the ones that say he is a nice young man.

Dennis, here is a little background on Austin. My father, Jerry Newberry, started playing steel when he was in his early twenties. Austin came along and would sit on his lap and pluck the strings. At age five we realized you could tell what song he was trying to play, so Dad sent an old guitar home with him, along with an amp, seat, picks and bar. (Jerry Roller had to give him a bar that had been hollowed out because he was too small to hold the heavey ones). Austin would then turn on CDs of steel music and make horrible noise until he managed to pick out a song here and there. At the time he plucked one string and moved his bar. By the time Austin was six, Jerry Roller got Dad onto the Tulsa and Silaom Springs steel shows and Dad would let Austin come up and play his one song (Old Rugged Cross). By the next year Austin was using three strings and two pedals (They cut his guitar down six inches)and playing Old Rugged Cross and Faded Love. Austin has not slowed down since, and I, a home body, have been dragged all over this country and met people who have become such wonderful friends. The steel guitar family is a wonderful group of people.

Austin has a new CD out called "Steelin The Show" if anyone is interested. It was made in Branson and produced by Terry Bethel (he has been kind enough to work with Austin some). The CD sells for $15.00 plus $3.00 shipping. You can contact me for more info at maverick@ckt.net

Thanks again everyone. We hope to see you at a steel show down the road somewhere.

Dana (aka MOm)
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

Mom and Dad spent time on there knees in prayer and it is seen in the whole family. God bless will see you'll soon.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Dean Batye

Post by Dean Batye »

Hello Dana,I have as a member of the swsga been watching Austin become a good player.With you and Randy as mom & dad,Grandma Donna & Grandpa Jerry Austin is becomeing a young man that we all can be proud of. This is the future of steel guitar.Austin keep up the good work.
Dean Batye
Concord Ca.
Ray Montee

What more can be said?

Post by Ray Montee »

This young man is an exceptionally rare talent and a wonderful musician. He's at an age where his learning is being finely devloped into a wonderful range of musical skills. His accuracey of bar/pedal movement is exceptionally fine; no guessing of where the bar should be positioned; his instrument is in perfect tune and his amplified tone is right on!

I'd surely enjoy meeting/hearing him one day.

May his bright horizons never be dimmed.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

In his rendition of "A Way To Survive", who is the young man on the keyboard?
Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott »

Charles Curtis wrote:In his rendition of "A Way To Survive", who is the young man on the keyboard?
His brother
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Charles, This is Austin's Meme. First of all THANKS to everyone for all the nice compliments. The young man on the piano is Dalton Stewart, Austin's young brother. We are proud of him also. He has been taking lessons for a little over a year now. His teacher ( Venda Hanley ) says he is doing good and if he didn't have to take most of his lesson's over the phone, would be farther along than he is already. Dalton likes the piano, but doesn't really like to go to the Steel Shows like Austin does. Maybe he will enjoy it more as he grows older. Lord knows he's been drug to A GREAT MANY of them!!!!!!!!! We have a great time and we thank everyone that invites us to play their shows.

Donna
Dennis Lee

Austin

Post by Dennis Lee »

Thank you for all the wonderful background information on this young great. It's obvious he has a wonderful and supportive family, which means everything. Bless you all and best wishes.