Smaller manufacturers vs. the more well known

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nicholas Martin

Smaller manufacturers vs. the more well known

Post by Nicholas Martin »

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forum a lot recently since I have decided to get into pedal steel. I've decided that I want to buy an s10 of some sort, with 3 pedals and at least 4 KLs. I have no idea what the differences between different builders are, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each model are. I am putting my trust in you experts (since there is no anonymity here, I assume you will give good advice!). So my question:

For 2300 dollars, what is the best single neck pedal steel I can get? How about for 2000?

I am looking for a dependable, easy to play instrument that won't aggravate me with broken strings and tuning problems, that has a nice full tone. I saw a video of a GFI expo on youtube that had beautiful tone.

My second question is related to the smaller manufacturers, the ones who look like they are composed of two or three guys with a bridgeport. How are instruments made by Beck, BSG and Simmons? The BSG s10 is quite reasonable - is this a good instrument? How about Jackson and Rayline?

Third and final question - I am 6'3", does this present any issue with a standard height pedal steel?

I look forward to your advice.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

If I were going to buy a new Steel for that price I would buy a Rittenberry. But Al Udean has a Gary Rittenbury rebuild that is almost exactly the same Guitar except its called a Nashville LTD. This Guitar is new except the Changer. I think Al was wanting around 1800.00 for it. But don't quote me. It is on the forum under Instruments. Good luck!!!
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Antolina

Post by Antolina »

I'm no expert by any means but for $2300 you can get a lot of guitar. I've heard nothing but good about the Jackson. Likewise the upper end Carters. I personally play an older sho~bud but if you're leaning towards a new one (and it sounds like you are), I'd also check out Rains, Show Pro and Rittenberry.

Keep an eye on the "Instruments for Sale" section for some super deals on high quality guitars.

Good luck! :)
The only thing better than doing what you love is having someone that loves you enough to let you do it.

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

I am 6' 1", or used to be when I was younger and didn't have a ruptured disc, and have to have a 1" taller guitar. If you don't, you'll be leaning way over forward. Or you can add a lift kit. Not as pretty, but effective.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

If you are looking for the best value, I'd suggest buying a USED, late model Carter, Fessenden or GFI. A used Magnum would probably be a good value also. I've never seen the BSG guitar, but it does look very nice on their web site. If you want to spend less, look for an older MSA, or BMI. Actually most of the manufacturers are small companies, some just a single person. Good luck.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Nicholas,
I would turn off the computer, go try some steels out and meet some steel players in person. If you are anywhere near Dallas/Ft Worth you can visit Carter, Rains, MSA, GFI for builders and a couple stores that have steels in stock. Lamb's Music is run by steel players and you will never find a more honest and nice batch of people.
Bob
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

You'll probably need a taller guitar---When I got my Carter, Bud and John were kind enough to put 1" longer legs and rods on it---no unsightly lift kits.
On your budget, if you stay in the used market, you really can't go wrong.
Ted Lowe Jr

RE:Simmons

Post by Ted Lowe Jr »

I highly recommend the Simmons pedal steel, I have his economy model with 4 knee levers and it has a great sound and stays in tune really good, and Bob Simmons is a great guy to do business with. If it were me I would try to go with a starter model just to make sure I was going to stick with it, and dont forget you will need an amp, volume pedal, picks, bar, a seat, and maybe an effects box of some kind, and probably some instruction books and perhaps some videos, it all adds up.
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

Checkout the latest video on the Carter Starter by Bobbe Seymour(Steel Guitar Nashville). Add a 1 or 2 inch lift kit to one and save a bunch for just starting out.
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

As a 6' 1" person myself, when I got my GFI I had to get 1" taller legs and rods, no lift kits available for GFI. I sent the old legs and rods to GFI and they sent me the new ones. The real measurement to be aware of is the height of the top of your knee when it's on the volume pedal while sitting down. Your knee needs to be able to clear the mechanics on the underside of the guitar. Measure that and you'll know if you need a taller guitar or not. ALso, give Bobbe Seymour at Steel Guitar Nashville a call, and they should be able to help you out.
Primitive Utility Steel
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Don't forget about Williams as Bill Rudolph offers some nice single necks:
http://www.williamsguitarcompany.com/
Duane Brown

smaller manufacturers

Post by Duane Brown »

Since you're in Texas I'd call Gary Carpenter at Rains. The Rains sure sounds good and Gary's a super guy and a great player so he would give good insights also.Junior Knight sure loves his Rains. Gary's number is 817-560-2277. Hope this helps.
Nicholas Martin

Post by Nicholas Martin »

First of all, thanks for all of the responses, including those emailed. It am amazed at everyone's helpfulness. I have decided that given the fact that as a non-player, I have no idea what I want or need, I will go with the carter starter and some lifts. That way, if I decide I still like playing, I will be able to make a more informed decision on a new instrument.

I can't wait to start playing, I have been dreaming for years of playing the pedal steel. I'm 24 now, so hopefully when I'm 50 I will be able to almost play something.
Antolina

Post by Antolina »

Keep an eye on ebay for used Carter Starters.
The only thing better than doing what you love is having someone that loves you enough to let you do it.

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina