My modified Rondo lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jody Perritt

My modified Rondo lap steel

Post by Jody Perritt »

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and had been lurking around for a while. It was here that I read all about the rondo lap steels. Now, I'm a real tight wad with my money, so i figured the rondo plus a few modifications might turn out to be exactly what I was after.. I made the modificaitons the day the Rondo arrived, so I can't say much about the stock tone. I can say that for less than $125 shipped to my door, it's the best value I've seen for a lapsteel. Again, I'm a real tight wad, so I feel my opinion is 'qualified' when it comes to value/bang for your buck reviews.

The first thing I did was install a seymour duncan SP90 pickup. Using a dremel tool (borrowed from a friend) and a homemade template from wood and metal box strapping, I routed the pickup cavity so the p90 would fit. I've never routed out a guitar before or even used a dremel tool and the modification took me about 2 hours. I'd guess 90 minutes was spent just staring at it, planning on how I was going to do it. I could not be happier with the tone. The tone was exactly what I'd been after, if not more than I hoped for.

I replaced the tuners with grover tuners I got from ebay. The new tuners were super easy to install, taking about 20 minutes to install. The original tuners did not look like junk or anything, but I did notice one of them didn't appear to be mounted properly, as if the nut for the tuner wasn't tightned. When I removed the nut in question it completely decinigrated due to the pot metal being too thin. With that said, atleast that one tuner would have definitly been an issue down the road if I would have kept it stock. I'm a fan of grover tuners and for a cheap price ($20 from ebay) my lap steel stays in tune, not to mention I like the ratio. Also, you might notice that my tuners are at an angle? If I would have mounted them at 90 degree the old screw hole would have been visible. Eitherway, I like the look of them angled and probably would have chosen to angle them anyway. Keep this in mind if when choosing new tuners if you decide to upgrade your rondos.

Hopefully I'm not rambling too much here, but I wanted to give back to the forum. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have found out about the Rondo. I serioulsy could not be happier with the end result. It sounds great, stays in tune, came with a nice case, and I've even gotten attached to the baby blue! All that for less than $225! Thats a tight wads dream if you ask me. :D

Maybe one day I'll break down and by a vintage lap steel so that I have an instrument thats value appreciates, but I just don't see it sounding too much better than this modified Rondo.

As soon as www.rondomusic.com gets more in stock I'm going to purchase a 2nd one and do the same modifications to it. I'd like to have a spare and one for different tunings.

Jody
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Nice job Jody, P90's are a lot of fun.
... modification took me about 2 hours. I'd guess 90 minutes was spent just staring at it ...
LoL ... I do the same all the time :)
Proper planning and thinking it through is an important first step.
Richard Cooper

Very Nice

Post by Richard Cooper »

Looks great Jody, I have a blue one also.
Wish they would get a fiesta red one in.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

That's exactly what I'd do if I got one of those. Great looking too, great first effort!
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Noce job, Jody, I'm glad you're happy with it. I bought two SX's when they were available and I'm going to modify both when I get time but until then I guess I'm in the staring stage.
Jody Perritt

Post by Jody Perritt »

Yeah, when they get more in I'll buy one.. I'd be happy with most any color other than black. I've never been a fan of black guitars for some reason.
I'm not so sure about a fiesta red one Richard. I originally planned on sanding this rondo down and painting it a very light great, much lighter than a seafoam green. Almost like a pale white/green. But this blue has grown on me, not to mention my friends love the color and tell me not to mess with it.
You know, another thing I like about having equipment that snot so pricey is the fact that I'm not all up tight about something happening to it such as it falling, getting scratched, people using it, etc. Heck, Already I've seen my 3 year old son framming on this rondo with my bar, putting a few nicks on the bodys surface and I didn't even get upset, just asked him to take it easy. I guess the dings give it character, lol.. I do have some high dollar stuff (vintage strat and vintage precision bass) that I'm funny about, spending alot time taking them in and out of the cases.

Keith, whats up man! You looked me up on myspace a months or so ago! What part of Atlanta you in? I'm up in Cartersville. Cool to see ya on here.

Mark, Seems like I read a post about you installing a lipstick pickup in your rondo?
Richard Cooper

colors

Post by Richard Cooper »

Jody Perritt

Post by Jody Perritt »

Think I'll get the off white one next. Too bad they can't keep up with the demand. I been checking rondomusic every day for a few weeks not hoping they get more in stock, but not so lucky.
The Pine Box Dwellers
www.thepineboxdwellers.com
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Looks like you did good :D Changed the right stuff on the guitar. Seymour Duncan makes good pickups, I've used a few also.
I personally like black guitars, if they have chrome or white plates on them :D
Jim Mitchell

BLUE RONDO ON A GREEN THROWN

Post by Jim Mitchell »

I am going to put on a LIPSTICK pick up on her
painted RED

and RED finger nails two RED chicken head knobs

WHEN I GET THE TIME

MY SITE
http://www.geocities.com/insp/SUPRO6420.html
I am trying to play a Harlin Brothers 1956 Multi Kord 6 String 4 Pedal Steel Guitar
and a RONDO lap
Retired from Boeing Helicopters in Ridley Park Pa.
we build the CH47