A question about pickups for Georgeboard players

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David Simenson

A question about pickups for Georgeboard players

Post by David Simenson »

I'm buying my first high-quality steel guitar--a Georgeboard. Has anyone experimented with different pickups, for instance, a horseshoe pickup rather than the George L that it comes with?

I'll be selling my Chandler RH-2 because I decided I needed 8 strings. I was playing open G (GBDGBD low-to-high) on my Melobar Rattler, and discovered I really like having the 1-3-5 triad on the top.
Jan Dunn

Georgeboard pickups

Post by Jan Dunn »

I tried to get a Lollar horshoe pickup in my 8 string GB but there wasn't enough room because of the placement of the volume and tone controls. Settled on a Lollar Gibson Grand Console PUP which I found less brittle than the stock Frailein PUP. I think everyone else with a GB is happy with the PUP that George puts in his fine guitars so take my experience with a grain of salt.

I hadn't realized George had switched to George L's. Probablt sound just great.
David Simenson

Post by David Simenson »

Fortunately George Boards Piburn straightened me out. He does not use George L pickups. He tells me, "I am the only manufacture to utilize a Custom Vintage Fralin retro 50’s hotrod pickup. Lindy and I designed this pickup in 1994 and have refined it slightly over the years."

I don't know where I got the idea about him using a different pickup, but this sets the record straight. I should recieve my new guitar any day!