Webb 6-14E amp service/tune-up, Sarno mod and more

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Ken Fox

Webb 6-14E amp service/tune-up, Sarno mod and more

Post by Ken Fox »

After many requests to work on these amps I have finally agreed to take them on!

I got the info from Brad on the preamp mod he was doing. I am going a bit further with the E Q board and the power amp as well with my service.

The upgrade will replace all electrolytic caps with new caps. All equal or better than the original. The main filter caps I have seen so far are huge! They are 10,500uf at 75VDC. The schematics call for 5,500uf to 10,500uf caps at 75VDC. I will be using a computer grade cap of the same physical dimensions as the 10,500uf cap I saw in my Webb. It will be a 9,800uf at 100VDC. As this power amp is almost a mirror of the old Session 400 that should be more than sufficient. The Session 400 used about a 5,000uf cap for DC filtering on the main voltage 50 volts rails.

All audio coupling caps will be upgraded to polyester film on the preamp board and replacing the electrolytic coupling caps on the EQ board with film caps as well.

I will clean all switched and jacks as well.

The cost for the upgrade is initially set at $250.00 and return freight. This upgrade replaces 38 components in the amp. Payment is required before amp is returned. PayPal OK but I must add the fee back to you. Shipping back is by FedEx only. I have to drive the amp 10 miles one way to ship it. I am a UPS shipper and they will pickup here. However, I would rather drive your amp ten miles to FedEx than have it shipped UPS!!

This does not included other needed repairs. Cost is $50.00 per hour and parts for all additional work requested/needed.

I am now stocking 250 volt output transistors for these amps, Session 400, Session 500, Vegas 400, Nashville 400 amps as well. Webb used a 250 Volt transistors. Peavey used 140 volt output transistors! This will be an upgrade when doing outputs on a Peavey amp. These run much cooler and sound better as well.

These will be more difficult for folks to disassemble than a Nashville 400 or Session 400 chassis for shipping. I will make up a set of instructions for the removal of the pre-amp and power amp.

An option would be to remove the speaker and send the cab and electronics.
Last edited by Ken Fox on 15 Apr 2008 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Fox

Shipping the amp

Post by Ken Fox »

I have been asked about shipping the amp and payment. Here is more info if you do not ship the complete amp in cabinet:

Preamp:

-Remove the nut and washer from the remote reverb switch at the back of the amp
-Remove four screws on faceplate
-Slide the preamp back and disconnect the reverb cables at the plate just behind the preamp.
BDisconnect the black ground wire (bullet style connector typical) that goes to the upper cab shielding
-pull the preamp out along with the disconnected cable assembly that went to the remote reverb jack

Power amp:

-remove six screws that hold amp to chassis
-remove cable restraint to cabinet for power cord, if applicable.

Payment can be sent with the amp and I will bill the freight to you. I will attach a copy of the invoice to the package and also send a copy via email.

Tracking info will be sent to you from FedEx via email. FedEx requires a signature to deliver an insured amp.

I will insure all amps for $500.00. If no one can be available to sign the amp could be sent to a work place or other designated place.

If you are sending from a packaging house they will not put your address and phone number on the package! Be sure to put that inside so I have a way to ship it back and call you.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Yeah Ken!!!!!!! The Webb amps of the world (and their owners) thank you!!

Brad
Ron Bryson

Post by Ron Bryson »

I picked up the first of these Webb "modded" amps for a friend. We had a chance to try it out last nite.
If you need Webb service, Ken knows how to get the most out of them! Sounds great, very nice service.
Ron
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bumper up!
Keith Ballmer

Post by Keith Ballmer »

Ken
This mod looks really cool!!!!
MARLEN S10 with a Crate V50 with custom speakers .. Local Artist 💪💪
Glenn Porter

Help On A Webb 614-E Amp

Post by Glenn Porter »

Ken, I have two Webb 614-E amps, one has a super clean sound, and sometimes the other amp sounds like the speaker has a rattle in it, and then the very next minute the speaker has no rattle sound and it has a super clean sound.
Brad Sarno says that you are the one to contact for Webb amps.

Thanks,
Glenn
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bumper up!

Let me know if you have one coming. Got two on the way now for repair/mods!!

I will be order kits on an as needed basis, as I will likely not see as many of these amps as the Peavey products in the shop. I keep 20 to 30 Nashville 400 and Vegas 400 kits on hand. I also keep only 1 to 2 Session 400 kits on hand. A lot of the Peavey amps are coming in and a lot were done just in the last few weeks alone

As I do more of the Webb ampss I have will have the kit details worked out a little better. So far all I have seen seem to have slightly different design changes that were made thru the years. That can result in the kit not being correct for the amp when it arrives, as it is based on the 1980 model I started with. That being the case, there may be up to a week delay getting corrected parts in to supplement the kit.

I have seen some of these amps with filter caps the size of a Campbell's soup can and some with caps the normal size used in the old Session 400 and other Peavey amps.

The Webb schematics allowed for a wide variety of filter caps sizes. I will be using a standard size on all amps, not the big soup can ones! Todays caps are 1/2 or less in size compared the older 20-30 year old caps for the same voltage and capacitance!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I have two kits ready to go. Let me know if you have one that needs the update!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Ken, can you optionally add an effects loop to older Webbs? Mine is about 1977, I'd love to get cleaner sound that way.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I could see doing the preamp out/power amp in loop. They had that on the new Webb amps.

I am not sure what it would take exactly to do it. I fee sure it can be done. Still, that would be a pretty hot level for most effects
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I'm probably not asking for the right thing if that would be very hot. I'm very primitive on electronics, sorry!

Mike Smith said he runs his TC Electronics GForce into the effects loop on his Fender Steel King, and gets a very quiet sound that way. So that's what I'm wondering if could be custom added to an old Webb. This might be a useful feature for other vintage Webb owners.

Btw, that Gforce, a Furman power strip, and the FSK is all he used and his sound at the Phoenix show on Friday was unbelievably clean and glistening! Did I mention he's a monster, innovative player?
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

Ken, Thanks for the posts on the mod.
How would you characterize the tonal difference from the stock to the modded Webb? I'm assuming that there is an improvement in the quality of the matreials that are being replaced, but how does that translate into a tonal difference?
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I really do not have an opinion. All I get is a chassis in here and no cabinet. All I know is it seems to be an improvement using the higher end film caps. Brad Sarno started this mod and could tell you more!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bumper up
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

We are back from vacation and the shop is up and running again!

I have several Webb kits in stock ready to install
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I had Ken do my 1978 just before he left on vacation :D Need that old amp revitalized after too many gigs, call Ken :eek: A great amp even greater!!
Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 17 Aug 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I have 4 kits ready to install. Good time to get it done!

We will be in Nashville next week for the steel show and also catch the Time Jumpers (hopefully) before we leave!
Pat Goodbla

Bump

Post by Pat Goodbla »

The Time Jumpers???.... I wanna go!!:mrgreen: 8)
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Did another one yesterday for Tommy Butler! Tommy has been a repeat customer for N-400 and Webb mods. Thanks, Tommy.

I have 32 kits ready to install. Typically same day service and next business day shipping.

We will be out of town the first week in November. Going to Western Swing Show in Wagoner, OK.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
David Pinkston

Webb Upgrade

Post by David Pinkston »

Ken-

Are you able to do the upgrade onsite if I was to drive down from Atlanta with it? We could schedule it at your convenience....

dp
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Yes I can, but it will take 3-4 hours to do the mod, minimum.