Tricone fever...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Leach

Post by Bill Leach »

Looks like Bob Brozman has changed his live set up now Fred - it's quite a few years ago I last saw him play.
The problem is that most of us don't have the luxury of knowing that there's going to be decent PA with sound engineer and 31 band graphic equaliser or time to sound check when we turn up for our local pub jam night. The Highlander pick up is no where near as good as using a decent mic, but it's practical and you know you'll be heard without feedback and minimal setting up. You can always take a mic along for times when you are able to use it.
Having said that, Bob's got bags of experience and can get a great sound very quickly using just two fixed frequency EQs on a cheap mixing desk.
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Yeah, Bill - Bob sure knows his EQ! :) I saw a bit of his soundcheck here in Brighton last year, where he asked for more of this or that frequency until he got the sound he wanted.

I agree completely with the practicality of a decent pickup system when one doesn't know what PA to expect. I have a K&K Pure Western Mini in my Lazy River that I blend with a mic (SM57) with great results, and for my Dobro, I have done a bit of an improvised solution - while the mic picks up the cone sound (mids and highs) fine, I felt that bass was lacking, so I added a K&K Bigshot transducer on a sweet bass spot on the Dobro's wooden top, run it through a preamp with the treble rolled off, and use this signal to add the bass to the mid-treble sound of the cone that is picked up by the mic. I have only tried this setup at one gig in a small club, but it was an improvement of the mic-only sound I had at the previous gig.

Sorry to sidetrack - back to the Tricone fever! ;)

Fred
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I was wondering how Brozman got such a great sound out of everything he plays. There are certainly several other players at least whose choice of music and technique I prefer. But nobody beats Brozman for tone.
My Repulic got delivered yesterday just before I had to leave for work. I'm going to open it right now.
Amor vincit omnia
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Got my Tricone today and I must say it's bit like riding a bike for me--just so comfortable. The year is 1928 and she sounds like my old Style 1. I'm going into the studio with her next week.