stomp box sequence

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Strawser

stomp box sequence

Post by Jim Strawser »

:whoa: Just got my new analog delay pedal and i plan on using it with a Digitech Digiverb pedal as well. I prefer the Digitech reverb even though my used Crate G60 amp has reverb in it. My question is is the sequence of pedal alignment?? Delay, Reverb and Volume Pedal to amp or volume pedal first? Im going to experiment but thought i might throw this out in case anyone else is interested?? Thanks for any suggestions
"Steel players are like fine wine, we get better with age"
Tim Carlson

Post by Tim Carlson »

The great thing about stomp boxes is that you can set them up any way you like. I think most people would set it up Volume, delay, then reverb...at least, that'd be the first way I'd try it, if I was going for a "standard" tone.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

vol>reverb>delay.

I like the volume pedal before delay. that way the delay effect in place will have it's natural decay.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I'd be inclined to put the volume pedal last, as the effects boxes might work better seeing the full strength signal. But maybe it wouldn't matter. The final decision is up to you and your ears. It's not like you're usin' 10 pedals! Let you own ears decide.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

John Billings wrote:I'd be inclined to put the volume pedal last, as the effects boxes might work better seeing the full strength signal. But maybe it wouldn't matter. The final decision is up to you and your ears. It's not like you're usin' 10 pedals! Let you own ears decide.
John, that is a good point. that is why my overdrive, comp etc are before the vol pedal.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Oh oh! Sounds like you're usin' the "10 pedals" I mentioned before! :)
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Guess it all depends on what you want the volume pedal to do,- when I occasionally use one it's always first in the chain.... ;)
That way I can use it to adjust the amount of overdrive, (my favorite sound on a Les Paul is the middle position, then I blend the two pickups with the individual volume pots to shape the sound) - and it won't cut off the delay if I back it off fast for volume swells.
I've always meant that reverb should be last,- it's the 'room' that all other sounds are fed into.

Steinar
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
basilh

Post by basilh »

Steinar Gregertsen wrote:Guess it all depends on what you want the volume pedal to do,- when I occasionally use one it's always first in the chain.... ;)
That way I can use it to adjust the amount of overdrive, (my favorite sound on a Les Paul is the middle position, then I blend the two pickups with the individual volume pots to shape the sound) - and it won't cut off the delay if I back it off fast for volume swells.
I've always meant that reverb should be last,- it's the 'room' that all other sounds are fed into.

Steinar
Yes, volume pedal BEFORE the reverb and delay but after eq, and compresion etc..
Lee Hiers

Post by Lee Hiers »

My board is set up Comp>Tuner>OD>OD>Tremelo>Volume>Delay>Clean Boost I primarily use it on the Tele, but also on the lap at times...the logic is the same either way.

If I used 'verb, it would be after the delay...as it is, I can adjust my delay to a reasonable 'verb the little I might use it.

Not quite 10! :lol:
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
"Have Dobro Will Travel"
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

You should think of it as what you want the effect to do. From the guitar, if volume is first, you can get volume swells to be echoed which is a nice sound. Reverb should be last unless you want to reverb to be echoed, which is kind of messy. Distortion of any kind likes a strong signal so it should be first from the guitar and controllable by the volume pedal.
If you use a wa wa plus distortion, you need to ask yourself, "do I want my wa wa sound distorted or my distortion sound wa wa'd. I prefer the later. It's still all personal taste, but I think these are the usual ways people do it.