ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marty Kerluk

Post by Marty Kerluk »

And I just kept my mouth shut...knowing you were joshing around.

Beginner question: I am unable to tune the 4th string raise from E to F, as I can only adjust the allen screw to get as far as an F flat (when using LKL). String 8 (E) can make it all the way to F with its adjustment, its only the 4th string.

I guess I have to make an adjustment underneath?

Is there a good primer for this type of mechanism on the web somewhere?

I suppose I'll receive offers from you guys to take it off my hands for $100 or something? ha ha...

Thanks

M
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Dave, I knew that you knew, but then I knew that you had to know that I knew what I knew when I knew it and then I wanted us all to know. I certainly think that this clears up a few things.
And to Marty, Well, now you've really gone and done it. The whole thing is done for. The horror, the horror, exterminate the brutes. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to reduce my offer to $75, but the good news is that I'll still grudgingly offer to pay for 50% of the shipping to Florida. In all seriousness, ZB mechanics are kind of like understanding Chinese arithmatic. Real easy if you know what you are doing, but almost impossible for most of the rest of us. Many of us find it easier to pick a setup, send it to someone who knows what they are doing (Greg Jones, or Billy Knowles), have them set it up properly one time, and then you are set for life. ZBs behave very well and with proper lubrication will stay as fresh as unpasteurized honey, basically forever. Oh, yeah, I just saw Kevin's post, Kevin knows ZBs too and treats them with great love and care.
As always, with inoffensive regards and well wishes,
Duncan
Last edited by Duncan Hodge on 4 Mar 2008 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

If you do not know what you are doing on a ZB, they are probably the best example of a guitar to easily screw up. They MUST be set up by a ZB mechanic. I've seen so many screwed up by people who did not know what they were doing. I would not suggest doing it yourself. Marty, I am in Buffalo just across the border. If you want to bring it here I will do the work.
Marty Kerluk

Post by Marty Kerluk »

Cheers guys, but I'll take it to some one here in Ontario who should be able to assist. I'm really so new at this thing I'm not knee levering too much right now, just trying to master basic hand/finger stuff.

Its funny learning on such a fine guitar. I chalk it up to motivational assistance to keep me practicing.

What sustain on the ZB though!!! Holy mackerel!

Marty
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

Whiskey and gorillas! That's funny. Good family humor. :)
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Thinking about letting her go...

Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hey Joe! I recognize that beautiful blue ZB D-10 8x5 (#0127) that I stupidly sold to you in October 2006. If it were anyone other than you thinking about selling it I would question their sanity. Alas, my lack of sanity has remained unquestioned for years so there was never any question about it being in question when I sold it, but after seing your most impressive collection of Sho~Buds, that for some strange reason you can only play one at a time, I understand your ability to come to the decision to sell. It does need to be played. I do miss it, though.
Have a beautiful California day. It did look good next to my red one. Hey, if I can't afford it, seeing the red and blue together give me the idea that it would look fantastic opposite Dave Z's red D-10. Plus it would like it a lot better if Dave was playing it than me. When I used to play it always felt that I was somehow hurting it and making it embarassed...Duncan

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

Duncan Hodge wrote: Combining Duncan with a keyboard and instant worldwide access is starting to look about as smart as an experiment involving whiskey and gorillas.
Henry Nagle wrote:Whiskey and gorillas! That's funny. Good family humor. :)
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I think that blue one would look good next to my red one!
Steve Broatch

Post by Steve Broatch »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, although I've been browsing it for the past few months and reading and enjoying this thread for the past 3 weeks. :D

I've only been playing steel for around 18 months. I have a British made S-11 Bennett that I love. But as of this morning I am the proud owner of a D-10 ZB Custom. I can now see (or should that be hear)what you're all getting so excited about. What tone, what sustain! I've just been sitting behind it for the last couple of hours with a stupid grin on my face. It's a joy to play.

The serial number is 0580. I bought it through Gerry Hogan's shop in southern England. Can anyone tell me anything about it like date, place of manufacture etc. Gerry reckons it s a mid -70s. It has the horns/fishtails.

It's in great condition but one thing I am having trouble with - some of the pedal rods keep popping out of their slots when I use the pedals. It's probably something I'm doing but they don't seem very secure. Has anyone else experienced this or know a way round it?

Thanks

Steve
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Steve, welcome to the ZB family and the Forum!!! #0580 would have been built in Phoenix, Arizona. Tom Brumley and Bill Simms owned the company at that time. Without actual invoices its tough to get an exact date. 1975 to 1976 is a good guess.

Your pedal rods......They need to be hooked in between the "L" bracket and front apron with the bend pointing towards the rear of the guitar. The front apron keeps them from popping out. If there is too much slop in the "L" bracket, the pivot bolt needs to be tightened down a little. Not so tight that it wont move though.

Enjoy your new ZB!!!

Greg
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hey Dave, if you decide that you need Joe's ZB you could even pick it up and save shipping. It would be easy as California is only 770 miles long (I even looked it up so you don't have to).
Welcome Steve, and a great big shout out to Greg, our ZB guru.
Duncan
Steve Broatch

Post by Steve Broatch »

Thanks for the welcome guys - Had to do a bit of adjusting here and there but the rods are all sorted now. :)

Steve
Billy Knowles

pickup

Post by Billy Knowles »

Does anyone know the man that rewinds ZB pickups?
Thanks
Larry have you received yours back yet?
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Post by Paul Frank Bloomfield »

As the guys all said, welcome to the exclusive ZB
Club, how about a photo of your ZB for us all to
see ?
All the best
Frank. Corfu
Steve Broatch

Post by Steve Broatch »

Hey Frank,

A couple of pics of the new ZB Custom as requested. Sorry they're not great quality.

Steve
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Post by Paul Frank Bloomfield »

Yassas Steve
Thats a nice piece of kit you got there so taking
a page from my good friend Duncan Hodge's book,when you
are fed up with it I'm sure it would find a good home here in Corfu, it looks like it needs some sun on it ! (had to get in before Duncan !!)
Joking aside, you'll get like the rest of us after
a while as far as ZB's are concerned ,you'll love it the longer you have and play it !!
All the best
Frank. Corfu
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

If anyone is interested I have a brand new set of split cases (one for the body and one for the pedal rack and legs) that I just finished. They are for an 11 string ZB. The customer backed out on the order. They take 20 pounds off the total carry weight by splitting the cases. Wine plush velour interiors with wheels and a spring handle on the body case for easy transport. They are $339.95 plus shipping for the set. Very nice cases. You can see a picture of a set at www.hattoncases.com
Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 17 Mar 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I'll take it! I still need to send you the measurements. I'll do it tonight.
Dave
Steve Broatch

Post by Steve Broatch »

You're right Frank - I'm still getting used to it at the moment but the sound just blows me away.

The only thing I don't like - Last night I took it to band practice along with my Session 500. I think I'm gonna develop a hernia real soon! :eek:

Cheers,

Steve
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

good Hand Cart/Dolly is a ZB'ers best friend...next to his ZB

or maybe a drunk Gorilla to carry it for ya
"I just came in here from force of habit... I don't intend to spend too much time in here."
"I've got the 'ZB Jeebies�' !"
<small>1998 Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: 1973 ZB Custom D-10 8&5 :: 2007 StageOne3&4 :: '69 Thinline Tele RI :: Vintage Fender 'Tube' Amplification
www.davevanallen.net :: ::Last Train Home
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

Dave Van Allen wrote: or maybe a drunk Gorilla to carry it for ya
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Congratulations Steve! you have a wonderful "world class" hunk of ZB flesh there. It is a beauty and I'm sure that it sounds like a dream. It's official, Steve now has a case of the ZB Weebies. Play it in good health and enjoy.
Duncan
Steve Broatch

Post by Steve Broatch »

Thanks Duncan. Just gotta learn how to play it how it deserves to be played. As for the C6 neck I may leave that for a little while yet. Never played one before so it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

Steve
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

How often do you lubricate your ZB ?