ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hamilton

E Bay ZB

Post by Bob Hamilton »

I was thinking that too Henry. I wonder what the serial number is...
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

If it had 11 strings I would be fighting someone..........er, I mean reasoning! :)
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

That's true. If it had 11 strings we would be fighting. In that case it would be reasonable to fight. I'm kind of a chicken though, Dave. Don't worry about me!
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Dave, thats too cool. If I was grounded in country music I'd be a Sacred Steeler. I love that community. Playing right from the heart. Its just so cool to see a ZB being played in that setting. Inspirational music.
Scott Hiestand

Post by Scott Hiestand »

Hi all

A couple questions for you ZBers....

1. What type of strings do you prefer for sound, nickel or stainless? I just recently changed mine on both necks, on E9 I put an old set of Cobra Coils I had purchased from Bobbe Seymour, SO old they had turned grey but they sound fine. On C6, which I play much less, I put some Jagwire nickels. The wounds seem a bit "noisy" and I'm not sure it's a function of the nickel or what. Just curious what folks prefer.

2. I am having the habitual problem of hysteresis on my E's. I think I have isolated it to the low E, which I tune to 440 but returns to 442 after a lower. It's an "ouch"on the ears. Hitting the LNL raise (or of course a bar slant) fixes it but who wants to be doing that?! I know lubrication has been blamed for this problem, specifically nut rollers, but that doesn't make sense to me (since the string "over" returns, it certainly must be sliding fine on the roller). Could it be a spring? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance to all the ZB gurus here!
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

The problem you have is at the nut roller. Make sure you get the straightest pull across the roller, even if it means winding the string up the post instead of towards the key head. With the strings off is the best time to lube the nut roller too. Also, loosen the string and turn the roller a bit and then re-tune. If it still returns sharp, do it again.

Those rollers hang up in the housing, strings 4 and 8 being the most common. Eliminating any side drag off the rollers, will take care of most of the lowering return problems.

I like nickel wound strings for my ZB's.

Greg
Scott Hiestand

Post by Scott Hiestand »

Greg

I am going to doouble check when I get home but I am quite sure I wind my strings up the post instead of towards the keys. That always seemed intuitive to me since there is more room for string going that direction.

As far as oiling, I have never completely removed the axle. When I change strings, after I remove each one, I hit each side of the roller with a tiny drop of 3-1 oil, then spin it a few times on the axle. Then I put on the new string and move to the next. They all spin but it's hard to judge how much "resistance" I should be feeling. There is "some" to be sure - wouldn't call it excessive though. Maybe some emery cloth on the axle?
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

I oil them right on the guitar with the strings off. Spin them and make sure the oil gets in the roller at the axle. A lot of the rollers I have seen have little burrs on the edges. I take 400 grit sandpaper and hit the side of each roller, and then polish them. Also make sure the housing is free of any build up too.

Greg
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

Every great now and again I take the rollers off the shaft and use really fine steel wool on the shaft, then lube the whole mess again. Is that smart, Greg? I've been fortunate that I haven't had a lot of problems with my 4th string returning. Or maybe I'm just tone deaf!

I had a ZB that Brad Sarno had added bushings to the rollers and used a slimmer shaft. I believe this gave the rollers a greater mechanical advantage. That guitar stayed in tune quite well.
Marty Kerluk

Post by Marty Kerluk »

Introducing ZB-11 serial number 0018. I just picked her up today after a 2 week business trip abroad where I seriously could NOT sleep on days 11-14 thinking about this guitar!

Long Pause

I see that after 10 years, its still difficult to post pix in forums.
I'll post pix after I tutor myself.

Mr B. Greg Jones can you shed some light on the history of this guitar. No idea how it ended up here in the frozen (currently) wasteland of Ontario.[/img]
Marty Kerluk

Post by Marty Kerluk »

Marty Kerluck wrote:Introducing ZB-11 serial number 0018. I just picked her up today after a 2 week business trip abroad where I seriously could NOT sleep on days 11-14 thinking about this guitar!

Long Pause

Mr B. Greg Jones can you shed some light on the history of this guitar. No idea how it ended up here in the frozen (currently) wasteland of Ontario.[/img]

Pardon me for answering my own post, but I learned that my file sizes were too large, thanks to the FAQ.

Here is the guitar:

Steve Hamill

Post by Steve Hamill »

WOW!
Thats a beautiful ZB. Congratulations. Play it loud and proud in good health.
What a score Marty.
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Marty, that is a good looking ZB!!! Has the rare ZB-Bakersfield decal too. #0018 would have been the 18th guitar built in 1969, just after Tom Brumley got the company from Zane Beck. They were still using Scaranton, Ark. parts when they assembled this guitar. Jim Florence has #0017, which is a D-11.

Welcome to the ZB family!!!!

Greg
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Marty. Super steel! I think Dave Z and Henry would be fighting over that one! :)
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

That guitar is in extremely good condition for a 69 ZB.
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Marty Kerluck wrote:Introducing ZB-11 serial number 0018. I just picked her up today after a 2 week business trip abroad where I seriously could NOT sleep on days 11-14 thinking about this guitar!

Long Pause

Oh, so you'rethe culprit. I just saw that baby marked as "sold" on Capsule's website and swore for a little while about missing it. Enjoy!
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

Dave and I have already begun a plan to acquire (steal) that guitar. We'll fight later.
Brendan Mitchell

Att. Mr. Zirbel

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Marty Kerluk

Post by Marty Kerluk »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The guitar plays and sounds great and once I get better at playing I know I'll enjoy it even more.

Can someone please supply some info for me?

- The two POT's on the side ( I assume tone and vol?) are not working at all.

- The 3 position switch facing the player does increase gain through the pickup however the switch next to the pickup selector is broken an also not working. What should this small switch do and what is its orig value so I can replace it?

Thanks
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I think that maybe a lot of ZB players disable the tone and volume pots on the side of the guitar. The small switch next to the three way coil tap was for enabling the tone and volume or bypassing them. Neither of my ZBs are set up with tone/volume and I don't miss them.

Mighty purty guitar Marty! :)
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Awwww shoot Marty. If the tone and volume knobs aren't working, you got a terrible deal on that ZB. I'm really sorry that the folks at that store that sold it took such advantage of you. As far as I can tell your ZB is now considered "functionally worthless", what with the tone and volume knobs being kaput and all. I hate to see you stuck with such a worthless piece of junk. But........beings that I am such a nice guy, and all, I'll take it off your hands for $100 cash American and even split the shipping from Ontario to DeLand, FL. Such a deal, who are you to resist, eh?
If you don't want to take advantage of me and accept my very generous offer, then just learn to play it and enjoy it. Please don't cry too much when you find yourself looking at those impotent tone and volume knobs.
Duncan
Last edited by Duncan Hodge on 3 Mar 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

:roll:
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

DISCLAIMER: as my previous post appears to have befuddled and consternated my friend Dave Z, I want add this disclaimer to my previous post to Marty. Marty, please disregard almost everything in the previous post. I was kidding the whole time. You got a wonderful deal and them bypassed knobs knobs don't mean a thang. I had them bypassed myself on my old blue ZB D-10 that is now owned by Joe Camacho. The only part I am not retracting is the offer of $100 and 1/2 shipping. So Marty, whaddyathink? I wonder why I don't think more before I type. Combining Duncan with a keyboard and instant worldwide access is starting to look about as smart as an experiment involving whiskey and gorillas. Y'all have a great night.
Duncan
Last edited by Duncan Hodge on 4 Mar 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I knew you were kidding. I was only messin' with you.
dz :)