Franklin Pedal?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Hartley

Franklin Pedal?

Post by David Hartley »

I suppose I should know this really but, what is a Franklin Pedal?
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

On the standard E9 tuning, it lowers strings 5, 6, and 10 one full tone.
autry andress

Post by autry andress »

And it's usually Pedal 4 & or Pedal 1 next to the A
Pedal.
clive swindell

Post by clive swindell »

Hi David

PF has a recent CD on how he uses this pedal - I was listening to it again last evening.

He should have it on sale in Dallas
Mike Wolfenbarger

Post by Mike Wolfenbarger »

I won't be able to make the trip to Dallas, but where did you get that CD? Thanks.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Probably from the Franklin Guitar co. Click on the "links" tab at the top of the page and you will find many websites that sell stuff as well as the builders.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

Go HERE to get it. I got it and I'm only halfway through it and I'm already using the pedal regularly now.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Autry, you mentioned it is usually next to the "A" pedal-- Since "A" raise 5 & 10--is it used in conjunction up/down type pulling or what is the reason for that ? I have a day set up and four floor pedals and have never figured what to do with that 4th pedal. My pedals from left to right are C-B-A and the fourth one. I have the standard 4 knee levers. Would the 4th pedal on my set up be a good choice for that ? Thanks, Bill.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Bill,
The placement of the "Franklin" pedal is entirely up to the player.Paul Franklin does mention that You will have to use it along with the lever which lowers Your E's.
I am by no means an accomplished player but I do'nt think this pedal is used with another floor pedal.
Perhaps someone will say dfferent(then We will both learn something)
Best regards
billy
clive swindell

Post by clive swindell »

In his CD, Paul uses the pedal with the one that lowers his E's - not with any other pedal.
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Thanks for that insite---If that's the case, it presents an akward situation for me as my lkl lowers the E's and the forth pedal is clear over to the right of the 4. I guess it would entail moving the A,B and C pedal to the right and leaving the 4th pedal on the left to be handier with the LKL lever ?
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Of course it can't be used with either of the ABC pedals, or you'd be raising and lowering at the same time.

I know, with tunable splits......bla bla......:)
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Where can I see a listing of Paul Franklin's E9 Copedent, showing that the PF-Change also Lowers str. #10 (1-tone) in addition to strings #5 & #6? I've never seen that one, although I may have heard it before!
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
pdl20

Franklin 4th pedal

Post by pdl20 »

I had mine with Day set up on the 4th pdl to the right.cba Franklin pdl,but i liked what Tommy White was doing with it split up on 2 knee's .i lower my 6th on my LV and drop my 5th on my RKL.there are some really neat licks by using them seperate or togather.it also opens up some nice half step lowers with split tuners. i have them on my Pre- G2 Mullen. Example, pick a fret.push A&B down,let off A pedal slowly and continue to drop rest of the way with lowering 5th string a whole tone then keep B pedal down pick 6th string and lower 6th a half tone.do it like a Haggard lick would sound.there are other combinations using 4th lower also.experiment ,experiment,experiment. have fun Rudy
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I had it on my guitars for 4 or 5 years before I used it at all. Now I would be lost without it, I keep hearing more and more places where it is useful. I use the Day floor setup and lower 5 and 6 with the fourth pedal. I lower the 10 string with my front RKL. I seldom use the 10 string lower, usually only the 5/6 lower.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.