I Still Miss John Hughey

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris LeDrew

I Still Miss John Hughey

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I met John briefly in both St. Louis and Dallas last year, and his incredible talent was only matched by his warm, personable manner. He is probably the steel player I listen to the most, and since his passing I've been listening almost every day.

I don't think a musician's passing has affected me quite as much as John's. Even though I didn't know him very well, there is a piece of me that still mourns his passing. It all seems connected to the emotional way he played, touching both audience and fellow players. He came closer than any steel player I've heard to making the pedal steel express emotions that words could not articulate. I can only imagine how those personally close to him were affected by his passing.

While I am excited to go to Dallas again this year, part of me has not yet accepted the fact that John simply will not be there.

Rest in peace, John. You are truly missed.

Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Written November 18th 2007:

Lord, I cried today because a friend left to be with you. But I understand, it's what he was meant to do. Enjoy him there in heaven as we did here on Earth, his presence made us richer, for whatever it is worth. John Hughey was an angel, and I know what angels are, but this one inspired me to play, the Pedal Steel Guitar. - Jim Walker

I feel the same way Chris.

JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

We all feel the same way.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

John Hughey was an inspiration to me and a lot of other steel players. I would come home from school and listen to Vince Gill's "I Still Believe In You" record and hear him playin' and it always amazed me. Right after I started playin' steel, I met John in Saluda, SC and we became friends. I saw him playin' steel for Vince in concert too right before I met him. At the last steel show I did with him last June, he made me laugh so hard because he crept up behind me and kinda scared me cause I had no idea he was gonna do it. He was a great steel player.

Brett
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

We all still miss him. It's gonna be especially rough this Sunday in Saluda, SC. John was always the headliner for the February show. He was always so much more than just a great steel guitar player. His heart and soul made you feel special just to be around him.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Well said, Chris. :(
Frank Speights

Post by Frank Speights »

I wanted to make a short comment. I had a John Hughey moment prior to the NW Ga Steel Show this past Sunday. I got out my American Bass Angler's Banner and I read what John said when he autographed my banner last year at the show. I then thought of one of the first things John asked me when I saw in him June 2007 at the Ga Peach Jam. Like many, I still miss John. I feel very honored to have met him, talked to him and shook his hand. I have an autographed picture of John and I made in February 2006 on the wall in what I call my computer room/office. Rest in peace, John.
Duane McKay

Post by Duane McKay »

We too, were big fans and admirers of The great John Huey, a fantastic muscian and a fine person.
He leaves an empty space that no one can fill.
We came to know his wife also and consider her a friend. She became interested in our tiny [believe it or not]seven ounce Schnauzer.
We would like her to email us: jmkay@mwinet.net.
Thanks. The McKays
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

John Hughey is missed all over the world the distance does`ent make the loss any different, he inspired so many of us to try to play, I felt the same at his passing as I felt when my steel teacher Gordon Huntley died and Gordon was a close friend of mine. I still have trouble trying to watch that wonderfull tribute to John on you tube of Dawn Sears singing "Sweet Memories" it chokes me up every time. I am so pleased I was in Nashville last September and had the chance to meet him, such a nice man, his legacy will live on forever to the steel guitar playing world. R.I.P
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Don't you know the Lord is enjoying our
friend John ?
Bill
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Yes, Bill.....there's comfort in that. He was a believer, and I'm sure his friends and family get much solace in knowing that he is with God.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

I have a Tribute to John on my website. Click on the link below, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find some good videos of him, furnished by Bill Ferguson.

In Memory of John Hughey
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Trevor Fagan

Post by Trevor Fagan »

He was the very reason that many of us got started in the first place. God Bless Him.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

His presence will be missed, but the inspiration he provided almost all the players there will be in attendance.
Ryan Gimpert

Post by Ryan Gimpert »

Chris LeDrew wrote:He is probably the steel player I listen to the most, and since his passing I've been listening almost every day.
Chris, would you mind sharing what recordings are your favorites?