MS: DSSG Meeting and Music Session

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Laurie Ayres

Post by Laurie Ayres »

Hey everyone! Don't forget to come to this show this coming Saturday! I wanted to bump it so everyone would remember because it's made up of some of the best players and really nice people! Bill has worked hard on this show so let's fill the hall. See you all soon. Laurie
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

I sure hate to have to miss this show. Good old fashioned southern hospitality is right!! Bill always finds the best talent for the show. Just my luck Jr. Martin will be there and I'll miss hearing him. Wow! I just love watching and hearing Jr. play.

But, I'm sure I can count on my good friends Jack and Martha to be right in the front row just a smiling (and the inevitable phone call to rub in what I missed). Just for that Martha - you have dish duty on Friday!

I'll be there in spirit Bill and hopefully be able to catch the next one. Tell everyone hello for me and give Miss Betty a big hug. Oh, and try to keep an eye on Ben and Ed...hard telling what those two will do unsupervised!
Miss Lana
SteelRadio.com
Ben ODell

OH NO !!!!

Post by Ben ODell »

Ref: The "OH NO"!! Ms Lana is not gonna be here for the show,,,,,,,"OH NO"!!!! We're sure gonna miss you girl, and I might just give you a "LISTEN TO THIS,,,,,,, CALL", also. :(

And folks if you've never seen Junior Martin and his gold steel guitar, this is a "GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY" for you to do jist that. The group plays some of the best cajun music, anywhere.

It's really gonna be a great show and it is going to be super to see all our good friends next week-end. We hope everyone has a safe trip in and for the folks who are coming in from out of town, WE ARE GONNA TREAT YOU SO MANY WAYS, YOU GONNA HAVE TO LIKE SOME OF THEM,,,,, HOPEFULLY ALL OF THEM !!

And while I got it on the noggin, R.J., would you please send me yo email address. That just happens to be one I haven't recovered since my computer crashed.

See you all Saturday !!!!!
Ben-Jamin O'Dell
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

Ohhh NOOO! Sure hate to say that I have yet to hear from Jr. Martin, but we can not go on with the show expecting Jr to be here, as much as we would really like for him to be here. Sorry for this mis-understanding.
BUT-this show does keep on growing with more surprises than I can almost stand. (Almost, but not quite). Hank Corwin informed me yesterday that one of his good musician friends, now living in the Dallas area, will be here. This talent toured for years with the great Jimmy Dickens band. He is not a steel player but will enhance the band stand like no other-with the exception of Hank Corwin, Buck Grantham, Roy Ayres, Tony Lane and all the rest of our friends and members. And maybe if Jr. reads these comments, he will know how much he is missed and desired.(??).
Cayla Ann Kelton, just back from her audition with "America's Got Talent" and two other special appearances there in Nashville this past week will appear at 3 PM to give us Ms Mini Minnie Pearl. She is delightful and will please us all.
Players list keeps expanding and we just might be here on stage till next week...Will try to post the (final?? ho ho? list this evening........
Bill Stafford
Roland Buras
Location: Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA

Post by Roland Buras »

Mr. Ken Henderson a Gulfport Favorite
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

Show Schedule as of this moment:
First off, I want to announce that P.J. Babcock, drummer el supremo, from the great Jimmy Dicken's band will be a special guest and will be featured during the Hank Corwin Concert. P.J. will be coming in from Dallas, Tx.(Never a dull moment at DSSG)- Thanks to Hank Corwin and his friends in the big time circuit. Our music program will start at high noon-
Royce Tarver will get us started followed by Howard Tate, Jack Goodson, Scot Pero(Classical guitarist), Ivan Reddington, Miss Mini Minnie Pear-Cayla Ann Kelton, Buck Grantham, John Hughey Memorial Program with Buck, Hal Higgins, Jim Parker, Danny Harrell, Bill Stafford; Wayne Gray with Hank Corwin and P.J. Babcock; Hank Corwin with Bert Courrege, Hank Corwin with Bill Stafford; SERA with R.J. Buras, Gary Moore and Herbie Stewart; Roy Ayres, Tony Lane; Winston Street Family; Gordon Dodson, Clyde Bloodworth; Jeff Reynolds Band from Jackson, Ms.; DSSG Steel line up to complete the night and grand finale by Hal Higgins giving us his amazing version of "How Great Thou Art".
Ben O'Dell, Bob Saxton, Wayne Goff, and Ed Clark will help us all out during the day and night. Thanks to all for this wonderful support. Sound by Garland Moran.
And don't forget the ten am club meeting. I need some help doing all this, so please come early and help us elect a new president too...(My final posting - until things change). Ms Lana you will be missed terribly too.
Bill Stafford
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

Good things never end. Please add JoeAllen Ward to the DSSG band staff. JoeAllen will be our pianist-and that is just what he is-not just a keyboard musician.Thanks JoeAllen. I am really excited to hear this good news.(Another last posting---?)
Bill Stafford
Buck Grantham

Show !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Buck Grantham »

Mitzi and I are getting real excited about the show. Looking forward to seeing all of our friends over there. It's always a pleasure to work the show . Yes I will play Working man blues for you all . Looking forward to it . Love, Buck & Mitzi
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Any of you who live within a 5 or 6 hour drive of Gulfport (or even a day's drive) should hitch up the old buggy and come on down. Just the steel work of Bill (Mr. Smooth) Stafford and Buck Grantham's rendition of "Working Man Blues" will make the entire trip worthwhile. This has always turned out to be one of the most fun shows to play and the most entertaining for everybody (players included). You will see and hear more talent there in one day than you saw on a year's worth of Ed Sullivan's weekly TV "shews" back at about the times the Beatles made their first U.S. appearance there -- when even ole Ben and I were just kids .
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Bill Stafford

DSSG

Post by Bill Stafford »

Thanks Buck and Roy. Coming from you guys, makes the effort very worth while and satisfying. A fond memory I have at one of our events a few years ago-John Hughey and Johnny Bonnvillian (New Orleans) renewed long lost acquaintances. Refer to that picture R.J. posted earlier of those two greats. We all know about John H, but few in the steel guitar world today know about Johnny B. Johnny B. used to play on New Orleans radio station WWL when I was in my teens. Listening to him every morning before I went to shcool (even before Byrd was famous) influenced my efforts so very much. And after meeting Jerry Byrd, he informed me that Johnny B. had the same influence over him as Jerry listened to this great artist on that station in the early mornings also. And my having just a little influence on bringing John H. and Johnny B together again is reward enough for me, if any was even needed. It was also one of my greatest pleasures to be able to introduce Jerry B and Johnny Bonnvillian together over a long distance phone conversastion. Johnny B never knew how he influenced Jerry Byrd. Johnny plays in the style of all the great horn players and even the great Buddy Emmons was aware of "our" Johnny. Johnny lives in Metaire, La, suberb of New Orleans and has a music store where he still give lessons. He can not travel away from home as his wife needs constant care all the time, but he has been in my home and played my 14 string EXCEL like he has played it all his life. What a talent and he has stated that he wants to be on one of our programs in the near futurre providing he can get the time away from his nursing duties for his beloved wife. We all wish him well in all aspects of his life.
And another plug for one of our steadfast supporters and talents-Ellis Olsen will be on stage all duringthe afternoon singing those great Hank W. songs. All types of talent here folks. Something for all-even the children enjoy this gathering.
Thanks,
Bill Stafford. (Another last posting.)
J PARKER

show

Post by J PARKER »

Looks like its going to be a good show and maybe i can borrow a guitar to play on and do one song while im there for a little bit at the show. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Jim
Laurie Ayres

Post by Laurie Ayres »

Hey Bill & Betty! We are all packed and ready to leave about 6 AM. We can't wait to see you all. We both KNOW this show is going to be awesome! We miss John so much too. It's still hard to believe that he is with God! Love you all, Laurie :D
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Gettin close, I got my motel reservation. And Jim, you're welcome to play my Mullen.
Billy Carr
Restricted

DSSGA

Post by Billy Carr »

TTT !