Help with re-bending cut rods

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Neer

Help with re-bending cut rods

Post by Mike Neer »

I acquired a few rods for my Fender 800 and they are too long--about 1" or so. They need to be cut and then re-bent at the top. Any suggestions as to where I sould try to get this done? I tried doing one, but nearly ruined it.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Most times, you leave the bend end alone, cut and rethread the straight end.
JE:-)>
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I have cut both ends with much success. The bend is much trickier than the threading, so I would opt to leave the bend alone and rethread if possible.

Greg
Clarence Wilson

Post by Clarence Wilson »

I too, am over 6 ft. 2 inches. I make my own rods. I go to the local Lowes store and purchase the rods.
Cut a quarter inch hole 3/8 inch from the end of a 1/2
water pipe about 8 inches long to use for a bending tool. Clamp the rod in a vise and bend a hook in it, using the same angle as the original. Cut the rod to the desired length. Then thread the end, using a hand threader and oil. Some rods look nice enough. Others
need painted. On my Mullen, I painted the rods black to match the black guitar.

While at the store, buy a 5 ft. section of black plastic water pipe. Cut off two sections the same size as was added to the rods. These slip over the front legs above the pedal board. The overall effect is quite pleasing. I've done this to all my guitars for years, so have about 6 sets packed away.
My Carter came with the proper added length, tho.

I have owned Universal 12 guitars since 1990.
The extra 11 and 12 strings stick above the rest of the strings because they are not fitted to the rollers. I take a small three-sided file and using a vice, lower the slot to fit the string. It doesn't take much. Those two rollers don't move, so a small portion needs to be filed down. Take a used, or spare string, and saw it back and forth to fit the final job. Paint the fitted portion using a Scripo. so you can see the portion you've worked with.

My strings are all practically even at the nut when
the bar is laying upon them.

My favorite guitar is the Mullen. Mainly because the pedals are a bit further apart than the Carter. The Mullen has the pad, the Carter doesn't. I don't use the pad, so I don't notice any difference. I rest my right hand on the 12th. string, and have a callus to show for it.

CEW
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Jim Eaton wrote:Most times, you leave the bend end alone, cut and rethread the straight end.
I'm afraid rethreading a rod is beyond the scope of my ability and my toolbox. Can you suggest a place for me to get one of the 2 options (re-threading or bending) done?

Clarence, I tried to visualize your bending method, but it still seems a little unclear to me. Would you mind elaborating?

Thanks,
Mike
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Any machine shop worth it's salt should be able to whip that out for you in just a few min's.
Be sure to take the connector that will go on the threaded end with you so they can see both the male and female threads and it a done deal.
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Taps and dies are really inexpensive, and easier than bending, I have rethreaded all my pull rods cause I am so short, but my feet touch the ground,

ernie
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Tap and die sets are selling at Big Lots (!) right now for about 15 bucks - well worth having. Once you know the thread size/pitch (any hardware store can tell you from another rod or a nut) it'll take you 5 minutes TOPS to thread a rod. Bending is much more difficult - and I'd pass on all the jury-rigged stuff and go to Home Depot (I think they have bending tools) or an industrial supply house - the right tool is easier to use, cheap, and safer.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Jim Florence

Post by Jim Florence »

If memory serves well, those threads are 10-32.
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Mike -

Take the advice of Jim, Ernest, & Jim since the aggravation factor in what they say is practically nil. If you're not a "Tim, the tool man" take Jim Eaton's second suggestion. Won't cost hardly nuthin'.

Richard
Clarence Wilson

bending a pedal rod explained.

Post by Clarence Wilson »

A half-inch galvanized water pipe, any length to put in a vice. Bore a 1/4 inch hole about 3/8 inch from the end. This is where you insert the pedal rod in order to bend the hook. Some rods bend fairly easy, others need a little heat. You can purchase a practice rod and try it out before doing your finished rods. Most stores,
like Lowes, have a section where rods of various sizes are kept. One will cost less than a dollar. You can make several tries with one rod.

If the bend (hook) is a bit long, whack it off with a hacksaw. File, or grind, to finish. Of course, if you live in an apartment, etc. you will have to be a bit
ingenious to carry this off.

Living, as I do, 4 miles out of town and have access to anything and everything, makes it easy for me.

The others have clued you in as to how to thread the
the rod ends.

I have bent and threaded over 40 of the rods. When I sold my guitars, I always put the original rods back on.

CEW
If someone says"Trust Me", RUN!!!