Nashville Skyline Rag?

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Marc Jenkins

Nashville Skyline Rag?

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Anyone have tab for Pete Drake's monster solo?
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Oh Marc. That brings back the memories. That Dylan album was great. I wore out my copy (vinyl), listening to the steel parts.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Marc,
Haven't heard that one in years, but seem to remember one of the licks over the c chord was a pull off-Pedals A&B mashed, 3rd fret, strike the 3rd string, pull the bar back and let the string ring open, them strike the 4th string at the third fret. It's a triplet phrase, stacato and muted...one two three, one two three,one two three( bah-da-dah,bah-da-dah,ba-da-dah). Or as we say in Jersey :Bah-Da -Bing, Bah-Da-Bing, Bah-Da-Bing! :-D The rest as I recall was fairly stock pedal down, rock on the A pedal stuff. Hope that helps!
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Just listened to that steel part after reading this post... wow.. REALLY cool,I would have a tough time trying to get that solo note for note.. Pete's unique style really shines through in this one..

Kinda like he hits all the notes, but almost sounds like he's not going to make it,... but does...Love Pete'e playing... bob
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

I think it's a "hammer/slide" on the 4th stg at the 3rd fret. Pick 4/5/6 wAB - when you pick have the bar pulled back so the 4th stg is open, then slide the bar forward for the "hammer/Slide" note on the 4th stg at the 3rd fret. It's done twice, so its back/forward/back/forward with the bar. That's how I remember doing that lick. Hope this helps.
JE:-)>
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Thanks guys.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

I was fooling around with this last night, and the lick I described before is done on the "F" chord at the 1st fret with no pedals. Been a long time since I play this one! LOL
JE:-)>
Jim Meiring

Post by Jim Meiring »

Thanks for the info on this great piece of work. Beautiful tone.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

I finally got around to chasing Pete on this one, and it's a lot of fun! He does that hammer/slide thing on the F as Jim mentioned, but also a hammer/pull off over the C before that.

The unaccompanied part over the A chord is totally hilarious! Sounds like they had a blast in the studio.